Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the service bulletin people have been asking about, and I've been meaning to post up.

Technical Service Bulletin ST002-01
Posted Date: September 21, 2001

Title Steering Wheel off center adjustment procedure.

Introduction:
This bulletin provides recommended adjustment procedure for correcting an off center steering wheel. This procedure does not require the use of a 4 wheel alignment machine.

Warranty Information:

This repair is covered un the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

I have the correction procedure with me, but reading it as a technician myself, i dont think you guys would be able to understand it without the pictures. I will try to find a way somehow to scanned it and post it up. I thought i might just post something up for now, so people can be aware
[/b]

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
so if u're over 20K miles...and owned ur car past 12 months.. u have to pay for this fix??

yeah, can u scan some pics....lol i'll give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently, thats what the TSB says, but check with you dealership, maybe they will help you out. It's not that complicated, its a matter of adjusting your tie rods thats about it, but the picture shows what should be done, etc.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Eminence said:
Apparently, thats what the TSB says, but check with you dealership, maybe they will help you out. It's not that complicated, its a matter of adjusting your tie rods thats about it, but the picture shows what should be done, etc.
tie rods have to do with the alignment. So how come they state an alignment machine is not reccomended?

Lexotic Concepts-- Get an alignment for your car and your steering wheel will be fine. I promise. :wink:

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
if your over 20k miles, and this is a problem on your car, have lexus do an alignment, but make sure that you comment that the reason you want the car aligned is because of the steering wheel being off-center.

If they dont fix the steering wheel during the alignment, then they will fix it for free since technically you didnt get what you paid for.

I had this happen, and they were very happy to straighten the wheel for me even after the alignment didnt fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
dayum.. that sux. that means i gotta raise my car.. just to get a friggin alignment. to make matters worse.. i just got back from going to the store and right after i would accelerate and let off on the gas to shift the car would jerk a little to the right.. not consistent pull.. but a jerk.. thats not alignment to is it?

well... guess i gotta raise it.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
And I thought this whole time that I had focked my steering up when adjusting my camber bolt.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
And I thought this whole time that I had focked my steering up when adjusting my camber bolt.
You probably did gangsta.

Anytime you mess with the camber plates, your tie rods will need re-adjusting. And when tie rods go off (which control the toe) your steering wheel will be off.

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Malekreza11 said:
Eminence said:
tie rods have to do with the alignment. So how come they state an alignment machine is not reccomended?

Lexotic Concepts-- Get an alignment for your car and your steering wheel will be fine. I promise. :wink:
tie rod adjustment doesn't necessarily mean alignment.

·
Premium Member
52,282 Posts
Eminence said:
Malekreza11 said:
Eminence said:

tie rod adjustment doesn't necessarily mean alignment.
Would you do the adjusment without checking alingment first?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Eminence said:
Here is the service bulletin people have been asking about, and I've been meaning to post up.

Technical Service Bulletin ST002-01
Posted Date: September 21, 2001

Title Steering Wheel off center adjustment procedure.

Introduction:
This bulletin provides recommended adjustment procedure for correcting an off center steering wheel. This procedure does not require the use of a 4 wheel alignment machine.

Warranty Information:

This repair is covered un the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

I have the correction procedure with me, but reading it as a technician myself, i dont think you guys would be able to understand it without the pictures. I will try to find a way somehow to scanned it and post it up. I thought i might just post something up for now, so people can be aware
[/b]
which model year?

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It says that the bulletin goes for the 02 Models.

In my personal opinion, i think alignment would fix the problem, without a question. But it seems like it's a problem that happens by itself, due to engineering flaws.

·
Registered
384 Posts
yeah, ny steering wheel jerks to the left/right when braking at times. i thought i had a problem with my aligment or braking. so, u guys thinks this is normal,, i guess. :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
definitely, not normal. Get it checked out. It could possibly be a number of things.

·
8,827 Posts
MannyBlaze said:
yeah, ny steering wheel jerks to the left/right when braking at times. i thought i had a problem with my aligment or braking. so, u guys thinks this is normal,, i guess. :eek:
If the pavement is uneven, it is normal.

·
Registered
471 Posts
do you think they will pay for the wear on the tires if the toe-out/toe-in is bad? just have 10,000 miles. They replaced all 4 tires at 4000 miles due to cracking of the potenzas. now this:(

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well, just got the call that they are replacing(again!) my tires under warranty after it had some substantial inner tire thread wear in the front. They are also going to do the alignment. Nice props to Parker Lexus in Little Rock, excellent sales and service too.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
MannyBlaze said:
Have someone check to make sure your brakes are not binding and your tire pressures are good. If it's an older IS check for suspension wear at all the attachment fittings.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I pulled this from the search function. Yeah I know it is for the 2001 IS. I bought my 2003 IS300 new in 2003 and did not have any problems at all until this weekend when I saw inner wear on the front tires hence I pulled out any tsb on this issue. So far, I think it was just poor alignment to begin with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.