Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am new to the IS300 world, but have been semi-researching them for a while now. Seems that they are well-loved and not maintenance whores like BMWs which is why i went with one instead of an E36 M3. I just picked up my '02 Black on Black IS300 last week and love it! Just notice two things though. When I turn the steering wheel past a certain point I hear a noise which is kinda hard to explain. It is in the middle of a steer not maybe a half turn or so past the straight position and not close to the full turn position. Maybe like a slight ratchet or click at the one point. Only does it in one spot though and not for long. Any ideas? Also with the fan on low or off and no music playing with the windows up, at a dead stop, when I first begin to accelerate I hear what sounds like liquid swooshing around maybe traveling in a tube somewhere behind the glove box? Heater/ac? Tried a search for these but didnt come up with anything. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Here's the reason you're hearing water sound behind the dash:

Credit given to Seven for the writeup:

You'll need 2 jack stands, a jack, and a bottle of Toyota super long life, pre-mixed coolant to get this done (you can get coolant from Toyota cheaper than Lexus. Its the same exact stuff).

When the car is cold (you havent driven the car in 2+ hours), do the following;

Step 1: Jack the car up by the front crossbrace behind the oil pan, till the car is up high enough so that the radiator fill point is the highest thing up.

Step 2: Remove the radiator cap, and top off the radiator (they sell radiator fill funnels at autozone that have a stopper plug in them. They're nice to have). If you have the funnel attachment, remove the plug and fill it so that its 1/4 full.

Step 3: Squeeze the lower, and upper radiator hoses to get any air in those out of them. After you cant get any more bubbles out, re-top off the radiator / refill the funnel to 1/4 level.

Step 4: Start the car and let it run. Keep adding coolant as needed. Once the thermostat opens, it'll start to bubble a lot. This is part of the reason why I said leave the funnel only 1/4 full. As the coolant gets hot, it'll also expand, and start to fill the funnel. If you aren't using the funnel, I let it spill out over the radiator for about a minute / 2 minutes, then cap the system and turn the car off.

Step 5: When it starts to bubble a decent amount, shut the car off, and let it cool off (at this point, I pull the cap off the expansion tank that is just behind the radiator, and make sure its at the full mark). If you are doing it without a funnel, just make sure that the expansion tank is at the halfway mark.

Step 6 (funnel only): when the coolant is bubbling not too much anymore I put the plug in the funnel and remove it, and put the cap back on the radiator.

Step 7: Lower the car and drive it around and see how it is. Now that everything is bled and topped off, you might hear *some* air bubbling (not as bad as before), but now that you have the expansion tank filled, it should start pulling any extra coolant it needs from there. After about a week, when the car is cold, check the expansion tank's level, and fill it to the level mark again if needed.

Reactions: chado

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, thanks for the quick response! I will do this as soon as I can access my jackstands again. It wont hurt anything to drive it as is for a while will it? Anybody got anything on the steering wheel issue. I will look at it later to see if it may be touching anything it shouldnt.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
If you don't have the time to jack up your car... try just filling the coolant reservoir. I did that to my car and the sound goes went away.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
If you don't have the time to jack up your car... try just filling the coolant reservoir. I did that to my car and the sound goes went away.
same here

it's actually long life (red), not super long life. great write up!

Reactions: MrGregski

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, will be topping off my coolant reservoir soon and hopefully the water noise will be gone at initial acceleration. New news on the steering wheel noise...it happens after I make a turn and when letting go of the wheel to come out of the turn it makes the clicking/ratcheting noise???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts