Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a problem with a slight steering shakes at certain speeds? only have 800 miles on the IS and everything is great. only problem is that at speeds of around 48-52 i can feel a very slight shake in the steering wheel. doesn't bother me too much because i'll bring the car in for the 1000 service in a week or so. just curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by merlin3008:
anyone have a problem with a slight steering shakes at certain speeds? only have 800 miles on the IS and everything is great. only problem is that at speeds of around 48-52 i can feel a very slight shake in the steering wheel. doesn't bother me too much because i'll bring the car in for the 1000 service in a week or so. just curious.
Probably your wheels are off-balance... that's easily fixed at service, just be sure to tell them, and test it to make sure the problem is gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Well, I have shake at speed a little higher. I brought mine in to get balanced and the alignment checked out. Everything was fine except the fact that I BENT 2 FU CKIN RIMS!!


Now the shake is buggin the fu ck out of me.... I'm just trying to decide on rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Vibrations that come and go at certain speed intervals are 9 out of 10 times a bent rim so that you the vibration is cuased by a physics thing called destructive interference. Basically waht it means is that the wheel is rotating at a rate such that the "woop" spot in the rim causes a bounce that is at a rhythem that the springs cannot compensate. The car kinda bouces up when the srings are still recovering from downward motion of landing on the flat spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Hummm interesting enough I'm having the same problems at the SAME speed. Wierd huh.

I took it into the dealer for my 10k service and they said they did a HIGH speed balance on it and it was fixed but I can still notice it.

Also the steering is off alignment just a hair to the left. Meaning that I need to turn the steering wheel to the right to get it straight. Not a big deal but I can notice it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
I too am afflicted by this condition. I've checked and rechecked tire pressure, alignment, time of the month, etc.
Here's an old thread I posted: http://www.is300.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001325

I've b!tched and cried to Lexus. Their final conclusion was... "It's a characteristic of the vehicle". WTF! I have an official letter from Lexus stating this. I'm really disappointed.

Now I just need Audi to build a stable S4, so I can trade my IS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
do yourself a favor and find a dealer that has a Hunter GSP9700 tire balancer. this device will find and diagnose tire balancing problems.

you need to make sure the dealer has the ability to 'index' your tire/rim combo to find high and low spots on your rim and tires and be able to match it to give you a vibration free setup. if you still have vibrations, then you may have other problems, ie. warped rotors or busted ball bearings etc.
http://gsp9700.com

Originally posted by Watcher:
I too am afflicted by this condition. I've checked and rechecked tire pressure, alignment, time of the month, etc.
Here's an old thread I posted: http://www.is300.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001325

I've b!tched and cried to Lexus. Their final conclusion was... "It's a characteristic of the vehicle". WTF! I have an official letter from Lexus stating this. I'm really disappointed.

Now I just need Audi to build a stable S4, so I can trade my IS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
BTW: Mine is smooth as butter at any speeds. Not a hint of any shake or vibration whatsoever. I have definately had other cars that did this, and there can be lots of reasons:

1> Wheels out of balance (as suggested)
2> Wheels bent
3> Flat spots on tires (from sitting too long or from a lockup brake situation) [ABS probably prevents anyone from having locked brakes so that is less likely]
4> Incorrect inflation
5> Worn out steering bushings (unlikely this soon!)
6> Warped brake rotors. (unlikely this early)
7> Incorrectly tightened lugs.

Anyways - if the balancing turns out to be correct you could look into some of the other possible causes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
dreamSpeeder;
My dealer actually had a Hunter tire balancer. They "told" me that I had a tire that was out of balance - the driver side rear. They fixed it. The problem still exists. Like Lexus said - "characteristic of the vehicle." It sux.


Gotta turn in. Need to wake up in a few hours for a Win2K deployment.

[ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: Watcher ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
most dealers would carry a 'hunter' tire balancer, many won't have the gsp9700. indexing the tires takes a few minutes longer, but gives you a better balance.

dealers tend to say 'it's the way the car was designed' but, when you first bought it, did it shake? probably not.

Originally posted by Watcher:
dreamSpeeder;
My dealer actually had a Hunter tire balancer. They "told" me that I had a tire that was out of balance - the driver side rear. They fixed it. The problem still exists. Like Lexus said - "characteristic of the vehicle." It sux.


Gotta turn in. Need to wake up in a few hours for a Win2K deployment.

[ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: Watcher ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
I didn't really pay atttention to the car, until it hit 1000 miles. Really drove like a grandma. I started opening it up after that... then I noticed it. I assumed it was there from the beginning.
I noticed that the tires need to come up to temp in the morning. I usually leave at 3AM for work. The car just jackhammers (at low speed >25mph) for the first few minutes. The tires warm up and it's fine.

[ May 18, 2001: Message edited by: Watcher ]
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top