Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i havent been here in a while..but im looking to somehow bump the feel of my steering wheel (as to feel the road better)..

From the first day ive driven an IS300, i havent like the steering feel..

Anyone with a front strut tower bar feel a difference in steering feel..? - more sensitive on bumps and such..?

^ive been searching for the past hour with no luck...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Curious...what do mean when you say steering 'feel'? There are many ways to interpret that. Turn-in response? Turning radius/steering ratio? Etc.

I can think of a few mods that will affect the feel of your steering, depending on what you mean. 1. Widder wheels/tires. 2. Lowered suspension. 3. Coilover suspension with pillowball mounts (i.e. Tein Flex). 4. Strut tower brace.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
A good alignment may help a lot....

I also noticed a much better feel after I installed the Eibach springs. The roll is so much more controlled with the progressive springs and although this won't translate into more grip it does give more feel. Even on the straights the car feels much more planted now, not all floaty and light like with the stock springs.....The impression while fading now, was really dramatic on my first drive immediately after changing the springs.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
^^What he said except I did notice a lot more grip with the Eibach springs and a heavier steering feel as well in turns. A little more oversteer bias but it is sooo minimal, I cant count that-more neutral to me.

Back on steering feel, if you want to feel more bumps etc while going straight, you will have to buy a 3 series. In turns, the difference b/n the 3 and the IS is narrower (bump feel).
Now just the overall steering feel is much improved with a strut bar such as the PLP strut tower bar. Especially since it does not have pivot points hence no up or down give.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
also as what kponti said but to elaborate on my opinion....

The Eibachs probably won't give much more ultimate grip (on a skidpad) because the tyres are a big limiting factor but in real world terms the car will most certainly feel like it is gripping much better in the sense that the progressive springs allow for more useable grip owing to the fact that the roll is far better controlled.....the lower C of G and more aggressive alignment of a lowered car will also improve feel and grip.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
almost forgot about this thread....

Thanks for all the replys!

"Steering feel" as in "road feel through the steering wheel". if i were to hit a small bump or dip (or even a pebble) on one of my front tires, id like to feel it in the steering wheel.. thats generally what im looking for..

Wheels and tires, im probably going to work on later..

I really dont want to lower my car, although i wouldnt mind a stiffer suspension (stiffer suspension without lowering - anyone make that..? - im still considering the Tein Htech).

Full Coilovers with accessories is a little out of the budget

Strut Tower bar seems to be what im looking for...

So you guys really feel a difference, right..?

Im considering an eBay version i found while searching .NET and the JIC one that i was originally planned... any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
My PLP strut tower bar gave me nice linear response with more feedback and a heavier feel. I topped that with TRD chassis braces and that let in more NVH, and I can feel more bumps through my steering wheel. Its not really unpleasant, but it gives some good feedback.

Other benefits include a much more solid feel to the chassis, helping the car's composure in corners. Even my gf could even feel the change from the passenger seat.

I've posted about this before:
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=228392&highlight=strut
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=262711&highlight=strut

If you really want to go nuts, and feel everything, find a urethane bushing set to replace the stock rubber ones. You should be able to feel *everything* after that, lol.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hotchkis sways..

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
10K2HVN said:
almost forgot about this thread....

Thanks for all the replys!

"Steering feel" as in "road feel through the steering wheel". if i were to hit a small bump or dip (or even a pebble) on one of my front tires, id like to feel it in the steering wheel.. thats generally what im looking for..

Wheels and tires, im probably going to work on later..

I really dont want to lower my car, although i wouldnt mind a stiffer suspension (stiffer suspension without lowering - anyone make that..? - im still considering the Tein Htech).

Full Coilovers with accessories is a little out of the budget

Strut Tower bar seems to be what im looking for...

So you guys really feel a difference, right..?

Im considering an eBay version i found while searching .NET and the JIC one that i was originally planned... any thoughts?
To be honest, even the poly urethane will not give you much more steering feel as you describe it here. You will get more suspension feel though.

The PLP bar and other chassis reinforcement will make a difference (though not by a large margin). Bump feel is usually inherent on the design of the steering mechanism and well Lexus isnt exactly BMW in that department. Rims with lower profiles will also increase bump feel but also go right along with increased bump feel in the suspension (seat of the pants) as well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once again, Thanks to Everyone for their replys!

Urethane Bushing seems to be another "lesser-expensive" alternative modification to look at. Although, I hear the labor involved is slightly less exicting then the actual outcome..

I understand what Im looking for is probably impossible, but anything closer to it will be nice! :)

Honestly, my GSR (minus power-steering) had more steering feel then this car.. and its not like I havent driven a BMW or Porche so its not like I dont know what Im looking for...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I saw that edgy got a polyurethane bushing kit that went on the sway mounts and in the steering (i think). PM'd him but have no response.

He said on his cardomain page that the steering and handling are much improved and responsive.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
throw some Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tires up front. That'll increase steering responsiveness like a mofo. Pump them up to 40psi btw.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I still say PLP strut bar and some underbody bracing. Definately made the car feel more "german" if you know what I mean. That BMW-like steering feel.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
I have also found the alignment specs have to do with it.

To much toe and the steering starts to feel darty.

To little and you get the feathering tire wear.

It's all about balance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts