Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my 08 IS-F (starfire pearl) for just three days and sadly yesterday it developed a click / mild knock when turning left or right. The knock / click sounds and feels like it is coming from the steering column inside the car and occurs just once not far off center when turning in either direction. Otherwise the car is in great shape (just 3100 miles) and has no other issues. I've seen a couple of posts about the SRS spiral cable or possibly the steering sensor causing similar knocking / clicking on other IS models. Has anyone had this problem with their IS-F?

Also can anyone recommend a good Lexus dealer in the Denver, CO area i.e. one with mechanics who know what they are doing and won't take the car for joy rides.

Update: Just read some posts on Toyotanation about problems with the "intermediate steering shafts" on Camrys causing very similar symptoms, even 2010 cars (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308459) Luckily it looks like spraying the intermediate steering shaft joints with a lithium lubricant may be enough to fix the problem. I'm going to try this tomorrow before taking the car to a dealership.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,617 Posts
good luck with that and keep us posted.
i have about 20k miles on my 08 and have no problems with this yet *knock on wood*

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
4,112 Posts
Any mods installed on your IS-F??

Joe Z

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any mods installed on your IS-F??

Joe Z
Nope, still bone stock. Most I will probably do this year is a set of adj. coilovers and maybe some wheels. Traded in a Z4 M Coupe for the ISF and despite the steering glitch I'm still very happy with the car. I had an RPI exhaust on the Z4MC which gave the car some great exotic sounds through the rev range but hit 112dB at 8000 rpm WOT. As the ISF will be occasionally transporting a 3 year old and a newborn later this year, I won't be changing the exhausts any time soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Fig,
I wouldn't mind a ride in your car sometime when the weather permits, not only to hear the exhaust but to check out the BC Racing coilovers.

As for the steering knock - I hadn't driven the car since posting here about the problem and the morning I'm set to drive the car to the dealership - the knock is gone and hasn't yet re-appeared in 50 miles of town driving. Typical! I suppose I should be happy though. My guess is that it was the SRS spiral cable "clock spring" and at present it is seated better. We'll see how things go.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
No problems on my IsF in regards of the clicking sounds, but i didn't have that problem with my older is300 but it went away after few days somehow and the sound never came back lol, best of luck with that sound

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problems on my IsF in regards of the clicking sounds, but i didn't have that problem with my older is300 but it went away after few days somehow and the sound never came back lol, best of luck with that sound
Another 200 miles on the car and the knock has not returned. Car runs perfectly. It had under 3000 miles on the clock when I bought it and hadn't been driven much over the past year, so may be it just needed to be driven more regularly. The previous owner traded the car in for a Ferrari so it might have been one of several cars that sat idle in his garage. Hopefully like your IS300 the knock is history.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.