Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought an 02 5 speed IS300.

The steering is tight, doesn't stray much if at all, but when i'm driving straight it feels like the car is really twitchy. Similar to when there are high winds and the car's being knocked around with wind. like the power steering is in overdrive or something...very sensitive.

When I put both hands on the wheel the wheel itself doesn't really follow the "twitch", feels really unsettling and at highway speeds it can get prominent.

Tires? Steering rack? Suspension? Road?

Suggestions?

I should probably add that my front two tires, although not bald, are not new and will need replacing within a few K miles.

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
do you know if the shocks have been replaced? Might be damaged or worn out shocks..

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
check your alignment, might have too much toe that makes it twitchy. kinda like my X lol

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
check your alignment, might have too much toe that makes it twitchy. kinda like my X lol
your ex had extra toes? eww

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Not sure what the correct term is for this, but it could also be that your tires treads are catching the grooves in the road causing it to follow which ever way the grooves are pointing. I've had a couple set of tires like that and it can get annoying. Sort of like your car wants to turn on its own.

Like everyone else said though, it wouldn't hurt to have your alignment checked.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
Your car needs an alignment as well as to have the tire pressure checked.

It sounds like your car is dog tracking.

After you align it, you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
your ex had extra toes? eww
I meant the later, she was twitchy hehehe. BTW I got the A2s, freakin fasteste turn around ever! Car feels great whenever those things are freshly rebuilt! :p

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
I meant the later, she was twitchy hehehe. BTW I got the A2s, freakin fasteste turn around ever! Car feels great whenever those things are freshly rebuilt! :p
hell yeah man! we still on for tomorrow?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have the same issue. I got ripped into on this site but when I rented an 08 Chevy Cobalt it felt more secure on the highway for the reasons you mentioned with your IS300.

I guess I will check the shocks and also going to check the toe in on the alignment as both suggestions were mentioned to me as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts