Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if its possible to extend the steering shaft an inch or two? i have never had the wheel off so not sure how many electronics/wires there are in there. it would be nice to be able to extend it with a splined shaft if thats how its held on.

i really wish it came with telescopic :roll:

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
2"?? :eek:

You must have your seat laid waaaay back.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup yup.....laaaaid back.....i also have long legs and am used to sitting in a formula car. I dont like sitting up as much as i need to properly reach the steering wheel. I am more comfortable in a VW or Audi as far as seating position, not that the lex is that bad but you know......to be a 100%.

I would love to know if i could even squeek an inch out of it by puttin on a different mounting spline or something, but without proper instruction i will be damned if i set off the freaking air bags by doing something rash. :eek: it would probably write off the car with the insurance just to replace them :roll:

any way....hopefully someone has removed the wheel and can tell me how and whats under there to work with

:chill:

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
It is a splined shaft, but there is just enough room for the bolt that holds it on. Unless you get a longer shaft ( :D no pun intended) you won't be able to do that. You might be able to squeeze 1/4" to 1/2" out of it by running washers, but I don't know how safe that will since the nut will have less slack to grab.

·
Registered
144 Posts
you can extend the steering wheel out but you will have to sacrifice the stock steering wheel and cruise control.
i am using a jspec aftermarket steering hub w/a momo black jet steering wheel. it works pretty well and looks really trick :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
lunatictokyo
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing