Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if its possible to extend the steering shaft an inch or two? i have never had the wheel off so not sure how many electronics/wires there are in there. it would be nice to be able to extend it with a splined shaft if thats how its held on.

i really wish it came with telescopic :roll:

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
2"?? :eek:

You must have your seat laid waaaay back.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup yup.....laaaaid back.....i also have long legs and am used to sitting in a formula car. I dont like sitting up as much as i need to properly reach the steering wheel. I am more comfortable in a VW or Audi as far as seating position, not that the lex is that bad but you know......to be a 100%.

I would love to know if i could even squeek an inch out of it by puttin on a different mounting spline or something, but without proper instruction i will be damned if i set off the freaking air bags by doing something rash. :eek: it would probably write off the car with the insurance just to replace them :roll:

any way....hopefully someone has removed the wheel and can tell me how and whats under there to work with

:chill:

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
It is a splined shaft, but there is just enough room for the bolt that holds it on. Unless you get a longer shaft ( :D no pun intended) you won't be able to do that. You might be able to squeeze 1/4" to 1/2" out of it by running washers, but I don't know how safe that will since the nut will have less slack to grab.

·
Registered
144 Posts
you can extend the steering wheel out but you will have to sacrifice the stock steering wheel and cruise control.
i am using a jspec aftermarket steering hub w/a momo black jet steering wheel. it works pretty well and looks really trick :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts