Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have them ? how are they. Is there any vibration and where you buy them. My all seasons pretty much have no grip at all on the snow so no choice but to go full winters.

Also any advice for some winter tires for the stock is300 rims.

:rebel:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Everyone has them! You crazy.

No vibrations - as long as you balance

Buying 17" snow tires is expensive, at least more expensive than 16's.

Factory Rims with 17's
negatives
- have to change them seasonally, and balance (about $100.00 each time)
- price - as stated above
- wider footprint means more slipping and less traction in the winter

Steelies with 16's
- a winter package is usually about 500- 600
- simple to change, as you just leave them on the rims and swap
- Price - cheaper to buy 16's
- traction - better traction with a smaller tire 16/205

Hope this helps

PS - try Steel Case Tire in Scarborough - steel rims are $50.00 - they may even have a tire package

Digger08

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would try and find the factory 5-spoke 16" steelies. There's quite a few of them you can pick up used. Reason I say this is that the inside is more accessible than regular steelies (on the car), allowing you to clean out the packed snow on the rim which would cause the vibration you're worried about.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I use them, don't really feel a difference. bought them $50 a piece from costco.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would try and find the factory 5-spoke 16" steelies. There's quite a few of them you can pick up used. Reason I say this is that the inside is more accessible than regular steelies (on the car), allowing you to clean out the packed snow on the rim which would cause the vibration you're worried about.
i have the factory 5 spokes (rav4) steelies, and i had some vibration due to snow/ice packed into the wheel which threw of the balance.

i got a bit worried about the vibration, till i realized that it was the snow that screwed up the balance.

it was pretty easy to get most of the snow out, but still took another day of driving to melt/spin the crap out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts