Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad went in about a week ago to Economy Lube in Waterloo to get his Outlander checked up but they told him he needed a bunch of stuff changed so he decided to take it elsewhere to see what other shops thought needed to be changed. Today, there was a message on our machine from a police officer informing us that my dad got an oil change today and he drove off without paying, he called back and explained to the cop how he hasn't gone for his oil changed yet and wasn't even out today so the cop just gave us the contact at Economy Lube. However, the cop said the employee mention my dad's name, exact vehicle and description of my dad. I don't know 100% if this is scam but it's sketchy. We're going to talk to this guy tomorrow and see what they're trying to pull here. First off, if it's not a scam, how do you mix up customers profiles and vehicles? This situation is just a hassle to deal with especially with the police involved. I would avoid them if you don't already. I highly doubt anyone goes there anyways but keep that in mind for anyone you know who does.

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
Thats Fucked up man!
Your dad should go give them a piece of his mind
I agree, its very shady of Economy lube. You can't trust no one these days!!! I never give out my real number, address or full name if I can help it.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
WTF? How much is a lube? Filing a false report, how much is the fine for that?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Sounds like they printed the estimate as an invoice by accident. Then presummed the work was done, and guessed the customer took off with out paying. I agree it sounds a little suspicious, but I am sure its just a misunderstanding.

Hope it all works out.

Let us know the follow up, so this doesn't become another thread with no ending.

Digger08

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So we went in and talked to them today, and they said an oil change was already done before my dad decided to go elsewhere to see if other shops agreed with the maintenance was required. They were under the assumption my dad was coming back to pay and get it done and never notified my dad about the oil change. So we asked why they didn't call us before notifying the police? They apologized and said they'd give a $10 oil change next time. So I guess it's misunderstandings on both ends, but I think we're still gonna keep our $10.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
so your dad's reputation is worth about 10.00? WTF?
1) you have reports from the Police saying your dad took off without paying
2) you called them and they said it was a misunderstanding but didn't call you instead but would rather call the police
3) What nationality are you by the way? If you're not white, white or white, you might have a discrimination case. $$$$

Write a letter to Economy Lube Corporate, provide all the paperwork and tell them you want a written apology and some type of monetary compensation for slandering your name.
What have you got to lose?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
so your dad's reputation is worth about 10.00? WTF?
1) you have reports from the Police saying your dad took off without paying
2) you called them and they said it was a misunderstanding but didn't call you instead but would rather call the police
3) What nationality are you by the way? If you're not white, white or white, you might have a discrimination case. $$$$

Write a letter to Economy Lube Corporate, provide all the paperwork and tell them you want a written apology and some type of monetary compensation for slandering your name.
What have you got to lose?
Cause this is Canada, where people are polite, and color is not an issue in one of North Americas largest diverse population cities.

White is the minority in Toronto.

People do not sue each other for situations like this usualy. Its not like the Police showed up on his door step, they simply called. From a business perspective, this was probably apporpriate action.

It still great to be a Canadian.

Digger08

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Well, we're definitely more polite, and more PC, but for sure there is an undercurrent of discrimination/bias. It is just much more subtle. But we're also less litigation happy as well.

Here goes my rant .....

Anyone notice how Canadian commentators would be much more harsh toward Chinese athletes during international competition? Quite similar to American commentators?

Just ranting ..... not really a biggie, cuz we're Canadians. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hahaha I don't think we're looking for a court case. It was a misunderstanding on both ends, however it would have been nice to have been informed that they had done the oil change before leaving the shop or before the police were contacted so we didn't think it was a scam and had knowledge that we had to pay for something. No need for any more hassles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cause this is Canada, where people are polite, and color is not an issue in one of North Americas largest diverse population cities.

White is the minority in Toronto.

People do not sue each other for situations like this usualy. Its not like the Police showed up on his door step, they simply called. From a business perspective, this was probably apporpriate action.

It still great to be a Canadian.

Digger08

Very well put brother...............Im sooooooooooooo glad im Canadian!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would never go there, my buddy went and had his oil changed on his 01 civic and they siad he needed a tranny flush. He said no so they stripped the bolt as we found out later on, when we had to tighten up the loose filter:pissed: Shotty work and shady people:curses:

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
Digger - Very well said :)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Being the industry, I made some inquireys yesterday and discovered that this business owner is very shady.

I have spoken to some suppliers and industry organizations and discovered that you should run as fast as you can from this place. Please tell your dad not to return to any of these shops.

Most of you that know me, may think this advice is strange for me, as I am a fair individual willing to give competition a fair shake.

Everyone I talked to, and explained your Dad's story to, were in no way surprised to hear what happened! These guys are giving the entire industry a bad name.

Find another service provider, to entrust your loyalty to in the Waterloo area.

There is many other lube shops in your area, and most are upstanding business's in your community.

Digger08

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Digger, appreciate it. I kind of figured the business was shady but it's good to have comfirmation. Yea my dad isn't going back there anymore. I recommend the mechanic I go to because he's a friend of mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts