Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I get up for work and pop in the car. When I turn it over, the car feels like it's caught so I let off the starter and then it just "ceases to be on." I'm not quite sure how to explain this so I'm going to do the best I can. I've had cars that had fuel pump issues and it would start, stutter.. and then die. If I could explain this scenario the best I can.. I'd say it's like I took it off life support after it was on.. and it just kind of had a light "last breath" - I've never had a car stop running so smoothly, I wasn't sure whether to be impressed or concerned. It felt like it was on the fine line of being started, but just didn't make the cut. It was a cold start, the car had been garaged overnight, the interior temperature(of the garage) was ar ound 42F, I just reset the ECU via battery terminal disconnect about 600 miles ago, cleaned the MAF about 330 miles ago, and put flame stickers on the car to make it go faster. This happened twice, before I fed it a little gas at the crank and it picked up no problem. Warm/cold(not overnight, just cold) starts later in the day had no similar problems.

Hoping maybe one of the mechanics in the house can fly in and rescue the car retard.

Cheers,
Jason

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
So I get up for work and pop in the car. When I turn it over, the car feels like it's caught so I let off the starter and then it just "ceases to be on." I'm not quite sure how to explain this so I'm going to do the best I can. I've had cars that had fuel pump issues and it would start, stutter.. and then die. If I could explain this scenario the best I can.. I'd say it's like I took it off life support after it was on.. and it just kind of had a light "last breath" - I've never had a car stop running so smoothly, I wasn't sure whether to be impressed or concerned. It felt like it was on the fine line of being started, but just didn't make the cut. It was a cold start, the car had been garaged overnight, the interior temperature(of the garage) was ar ound 42F, I just reset the ECU via battery terminal disconnect about 600 miles ago, cleaned the MAF about 330 miles ago, and put flame stickers on the car to make it go faster. This happened twice, before I fed it a little gas at the crank and it picked up no problem. Warm/cold(not overnight, just cold) starts later in the day had no similar problems.

Hoping maybe one of the mechanics in the house can fly in and rescue the car retard.

Cheers,
Jason
A couple basic things you can do to isolate the problem. Before starting the car put the key on engine off and let the fuel pump prime for about 15 seconds, if it starts then you have a weak fuel pump.

Could be your battery is just not up to par as well, having a shorted cell in a battery can cause these problem. Take your battery to an Autozone and they can test it for you free of charge.

Other random things that can cause this problem is ground cable, spark plugs, alternator, starter.

However my money is on the battery. Shorted cell, i see it all the time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be your battery is just not up to par as well, having a shorted cell in a battery can cause these problem. Take your battery to an Autozone and they can test it for you free of charge.

However my money is on the battery. Shorted cell, i see it all the time.
What other symptoms are associated with a battery with a short cell? I'm not sure if this is my issue because it's cranking just fine.. it's just a problem with it staying on, if you could imagine - my car cranked, it caught.. and when I let off the starter.. it just kind of let go, it wasnt abrupt, it didn't sputter, or anything like that, I feel the best description is in the first post.

Also, when I brought it to my mechanic to install some new rotors and a routine oil change, I asked him about the batt because it didn't seem like it was holding a charge for very long with electronics on(lights, etc). I killed the battery enough to where it wouldn't turn over(clickclickclickclick) the first night when I got the car and was taking a few pictures in the garage with the lights on. >>Back to the point I was leading this paragraph with, when I told him about it he took his voltage meter to the battery and said the voltages were fine after the car had been off for ~40m. He did mention it looked like a factory equipped battery though - haha. :shush:

I experienced a similar issue twice this winter! (or maybe, the same issue) I also get an exhaust smell in the car when it's warmedup. Do you?
When my car's warmed up it's usually moving. :) When it's warming up, I haven't noticed any strange smells.. it's actually a lot less smelly than I'm used to when starting it up in the garage, compared to my previous vehicle. That smell thing can't be good, have you checked your fluid levels (oil, coolant, etc)? Trying a fuel system cleaner may help as well. I usually run a few fuel cleaners through my system when I pick up a new car just as a precaution.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Saint242 said:
When my car's warmed up it's usually moving. When it's warming up, I haven't noticed any strange smells.. it's actually a lot less smelly than I'm used to when starting it up in the garage, compared to my previous vehicle. That smell thing can't be good, have you checked your fluid levels (oil, coolant, etc)? Trying a fuel system cleaner may help as well. I usually run a few fuel cleaners through my system when I pick up a new car just as a precaution.
Hi! The problem you describe up there about the starting issue, I also experienced it and I'm worried about it. I'm probably wrong but one thing I found was about the O2 sensors and cat. Like the fuel mix being too rich or to lean.

But the burned gas smell issue I have might be different (really really annoys me : [). As I said, the smell occurs when the car is warmed up and I'm driving. Especially after giving gas (like starting to move from a red light or a stop).

But your thread is about the starting issue, and I'm very interested in that also.

Thanks man, gl with this problem, I'm pretty sure my car has the same problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi! The problem you describe up there about the starting issue, I also experienced it and I'm worried about it. I'm probably wrong but one thing I found was about the O2 sensors and cat. Like the fuel mix being too rich or to lean.

But the burned gas smell issue I have might be different (really really annoys me : [). As I said, the smell occurs when the car is warmed up and I'm driving. Especially after giving gas (like starting to move from a red light or a stop).

But your thread is about the starting issue, and I'm very interested in that also.

Thanks man, gl with this problem, I'm pretty sure my car has the same problem.
Hopefully someone finds a solution!

And if you're racing the car around, a metalic burning smell is pretty common if you've got the vents open. At least this is my experience with quite a few cars.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I asked my friend who works on all types of cars and told him I pulled the plug for the ECU reset and he mentioned that if I reset the memory then it also could have reset the idle control and it just has to re-learn.
If anybody could chime in to confirm or deny this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What other symptoms are associated with a battery with a short cell? I'm not sure if this is my issue because it's cranking just fine.. it's just a problem with it staying on, if you could imagine - my car cranked, it caught.. and when I let off the starter.. it just kind of let go, it wasnt abrupt, it didn't sputter, or anything like that, I feel the best description is in the first post.

Also, when I brought it to my mechanic to install some new rotors and a routine oil change, I asked him about the batt because it didn't seem like it was holding a charge for very long with electronics on(lights, etc). I killed the battery enough to where it wouldn't turn over(clickclickclickclick) the first night when I got the car and was taking a few pictures in the garage with the lights on. >>Back to the point I was leading this paragraph with, when I told him about it he took his voltage meter to the battery and said the voltages were fine after the car had been off for ~40m. He did mention it looked like a factory equipped battery though - haha. :shush:
I don't know what he hooked up to it, but he's a qualified mechanic of 30 years and he's been my mechanic as long as I could drive. He said there weren't any issues with the battery so I'm guessing my problem lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Happened to me again today when leaving work. Approx. a month after the last time it occurred. Still didn't get my battery checked tho. Not cold at all, above 0 degree Celsius. Last time it happened to me it was also not that cold (-4 degree Celsius). I get it to start by keep the starter going and give it some gas (REALLY feels not good to do that lol, I feel like starting a cheap ass dirt bike or a crappy winter beater that doesn't want to start.. Only happened twice since I own the car).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.