Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've searched but came up with nothing on this. I've been having issues recently with my electrical system and now it finally crapped out on me. My 2001 automatic starts, but the instruments don't work, the climate controls are off, and it's locked out of gear. The headlights and dash lights come on, but I'm stuck in park!

Where should I start?!

****SOLVED**** (post#5)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Just pulled codes and the only one that comes up is P1780 (PNP Neutral Safety Switch)... That doesn't help me at all :pissed:

FYI The radio is shot too

Known faults so far:
1. No radio
2. No climate controls
3. No clock/outside temp display
4. No tach, speedo, CEL, warning lights work
5. Won't shift out of park

Things that work:
1. Engine turns over and runs
2. Hazards
3. Instrument illumination
4. Sunroof
5. Headlamps
6. Fog Lamps
7. Tail lamps

·
Registered
375 Posts
10.0-10.5 while running is not enough voltage to charge the battery. When the car is off you should have a floating voltage around 12.5V or so, and when the car is running you should see 13.8-14.4 depending on your alternator. I would start with checking the alternator and doing a load test on the battery.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... until this problem the static charge on the battery was 12.6v, and while operating under a full load it would still produce 14v+

So that led me to believe that something was grounding itself out and drawing current (in a big way) from the battery... Sure enough, while chasing wires last night I found that whomever installed the sound system (previous owner?) did a poor job tying the amplifier remote wire into the ignition switch. At the junction, the electrical tape was frayed and grounded out to the chassis =/ I continued to chase the ignition switch wire (red) to the drivers side fuse panel and found out the top left 40 amp maxi fuse was blown too... I replaced the fuse, re-soldered and heat-shrinked the ignition switch wire, and everything came back.

Problem solved

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to see you found the problem. I had a problem at one point with the factory ground on the battery not having a good connection and draining the battery. It took a little while for me to realize what was going on.
That was one of the first places I looked actually... I ended up replacing the battery ground wire, and the engine ground as well just in case. I think that may have been contributing somewhat because now the static charge on the battery is up around 12.8v (and holds there... where as before it would drop slowly to 12.6v), and I have less voltage drop when the car's running and I start flipping on accessories.

Thanks for the input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.