Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to start Auto cross (Solo) events this spring. I'm in the midwest and looking at SCCA. Not sure if there is a lot of red tape with SCCA. Just want to have some fun with my car doing parking lot style Autocross event and don't care to get into too much bureaucay and want to keep my costs in line.

I appreciate if you guys recommend a good club to start. I've also looked into Midwest Council and their schedule looks like high speed Auto X events running in tracks. I'm not ready for Track events yet. I wanted to start out with lower speeds during this first year.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Not sure who all does that where you're at. Out here your auto-x choices would be SCCA or NASA.

Good luck & have fun. :approve:

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
What state do you live in?

I run with three different clubs within the SCCA:

South Bend region (most of their runs are on the tire rack test track on site in south bend), speeds only reach 40-50mph MAX.

Chicago Region, they run in the parking lot of Route 66 dragway, the tri state council runs alot of the same events IIRC...

Champaign county, they have 2 sites, rantoul at one of the airports, and another place I have yet to run in.

I plan on hitting up some wisconsin and michigan events this year. Chicago region's autocross school is april 5th and 6th. My wife and I might do that...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a friend who lives in WI and runs with both the SCCA and the Midwest Council. I've seen some videos of his Midwest council autocrosses, and it's definitely very different from my experiences with the SCCA around here. He prefers the high-speed auto-x's to parking lot events, but they can be scary without a good brake setup.

Cliff's notes: For parking lot auto-x, I'd recommend SCCA over the Midwest Council, but the high-speed AXs can be a blast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts