Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my IS :D and I'm completely broke (but its alllll worth it lol). I know that the stock ignition system is good at preventing theft, but I would like peace of mind when I park it that it'll be there when I get back. I'm wondering if any one has good tips on the best way to install a starter motor cut-out switch, the poor mans theft deterant.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
BlackSportD said:
I just got my IS :D and I'm completely broke (but its alllll worth it lol). I know that the stock ignition system is good at preventing theft, but I would like peace of mind when I park it that it'll be there when I get back. I'm wondering if any one has good tips on the best way to install a starter motor cut-out switch, the poor mans theft deterant.
Absolutely no need whatsoever.

There is no way anyone can start your car without your key(s) unless they purchase a multi-thousand-dollar immobilizer ECU from Lexus as well as a brand new unprogrammed master key, and switch them out. Even if they could do that, only Lexus has the appropriate machine to program the ECU itself (which then must be used to program the master key). In addition, only Lexus has the hardware to grind the keys (I'm not sure I believe that part, but that's what the CSR told me when I had my ignition switch replaced). Very expensive, and not at all a worthwile ordeal for thieves.

Rest assured, unless someone gets your key, your car cannot be started. It can be stripped, crushed, scratched, and vandalized, but not started. :lol:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nope they can't start it, but they can tow your car away in the middle of the night if you park on the street! If they want your car bad enough, they will take it no matter how much you put into it, unless you get lowjack.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
DL said:
Nope they can't start it, but they can tow your car away in the middle of the night if you park on the street! If they want your car bad enough, they will take it no matter how much you put into it, unless you get lowjack.
They can only tow it from the rear though. So the solution there is to park your car so the rear is facing a building or tree, so they can't get a tow truck behind it. :lol:

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
DL said:
Actually they can tow if from either end (flatbed style tow trucks).
How would they get it onto the truck? I know the winch is strong and all, but can it actually drag a car with locked wheels? It would have th drag the rear wheels about 12 feet if they hooked up the tow line to the front, and 4 feet if they hooked it up to the back. That's a whole lot of friction!

Then after that, if they hooked the tow line up the the front, the rear wheels would have to be dragged another 2-3 feet up the ramp. If the tow line were hooked up to the rear, the rear wheels would have to be dragged another 10-12 feet up the incline!

Are the tow hooks on the CAR even that strong?

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
DL said:
How would they get it onto the truck? I know the winch is strong and all, but can it actually drag a car with locked wheels? It would have th drag the rear wheels about 12 feet if they hooked up the tow line to the front, and 4 feet if they hooked it up to the back. That's a whole lot of friction!

Then after that, if they hooked the tow line up the the front, the rear wheels would have to be dragged another 2-3 feet up the ramp. If the tow line were hooked up to the rear, the rear wheels would have to be dragged another 10-12 feet up the incline!

they can always use those "wheel dollies" by jacking up the rear, and sliding those puppies in there first.... no more friction.

Like someone said earlier, if they really want it, they will take it. doesn't matter what pre-cautions you take. Even Lo-Jack will not prevent them from taking it. Remember, Lo-Jack equipped cars don't have window stickers showing that it is protected by lo-jack.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
kraze8 said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
DL said:

they can always use those "wheel dollies" by jacking up the rear, and sliding those puppies in there first.... no more friction.

Like someone said earlier, if they really want it, they will take it. doesn't matter what pre-cautions you take. Even Lo-Jack will not prevent them from taking it. Remember, Lo-Jack equipped cars don't have window stickers showing that it is protected by lo-jack.
Wheel dollies... wow, they thought of everything. I would have never thought to use those.

·
8,880 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
vlad_a said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
Wheel dollies... wow, they thought of everything. I would have never thought to use those.
And that is why you don't work for a towing company. :lol:

Check out this site by one of our members.
Actually I don't work for a towing company because every "towperson" I see is greasy, sweaty, and dressed like a sanitation worker in a 1 piece mechanic's body suit. I couldn't be any ONE of those things day in, day out for years on end, let alone all 3 at once.

In addition, I highly doubt I would have been able to afford my IS300 towing cars for a living. =P

·
8,880 Posts
There is no reason for getting offended over a joke of not working for a towing company. You obvisosly don't fit the above listed qualifications. :lol:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the reassurance. I can't wait to get the early warning lowjack though. Like they said, if some one really wants it, they will find a way, so even though I knew the stock system was good, I was thinking people had found a way around it. Good to know Lexus is doing so well in that deppartment. Thats why I got a Lex, the quality is awesome. Any how, thanks all.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
vlad_a said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
And that is why you don't work for a towing company. :lol:

Check out this site by one of our members.
Actually I don't work for a towing company because every "towperson" I see is greasy, sweaty, and dressed like a sanitation worker in a 1 piece mechanic's body suit. I couldn't be any ONE of those things day in, day out for years on end, let alone all 3 at once.

In addition, I highly doubt I would have been able to afford my IS300 towing cars for a living. =P
you'd be amazed at how much $$ a towperson makes a year. I know someone show does this for a living... yes the truck (flatbed) ran him @ $85.000 new. but he's living a good life.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
actually DL is right, they can tow your car from any direction. if they are quick enough they can tow your car right out of it's parking spot by dragging it, even if the brakes are locked, then hook up the normal way, and tow it away.... i've seen this on discovery channel!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts