Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I have an '01 IS turbo running less than 7lbs that I've been running a Greddy E-Manage on for the past 8 months. Everything is fine until the stock ECU starts fighting for control over the car and strange things like misfirings start to happen. (Needless to say, my spark plugs and MPG have been crappy.) Anyway, I need to get this fixed, but I have been told different things. One option is to simply upgrade a little and get the E-Manage Ultimate and get the car tuned to solve the problem. The other option is that I would have to get a complete stand-alone like AEM or Haltech E6x to solve the issue and then get it tuned. Obviously, there is a huge price difference between AEM and the E-Manage... but can I REALLY expect to get the problem fixed with the Ultimate..?

As you can see, I have a tough decision to make. I really do not have the money for the AEM, or I would just go that route. But I am concerned that the Ultimate may not be powerful enough to fix my timing and A/F complications. Please, if anyone has any advice on this - I would REALLY appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Have you looked into the AEM FI/C? There's a thread about it in this subsection..

Might want to ask if anyone has any relearning issues..

The ability to run properly with a standalone is completely dependent on your tuner.. In my area, I can't just pick a standalone and find a tuner.. I have to find a tuner and see what he feels comfortable with. ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
imo just save up and get a standalone that your local tuner is good with and quit throwing money at piggybacks that won't fix your problem (well you could get it to work but it takes a lot more time and from a good tuner such as PFS,SRT) Hopefully that helps you.

·
Registered
703 Posts
imo just save up and get a standalone that your local tuner is good with and quit throwing money at piggybacks that won't fix your problem (well you could get it to work but it takes a lot more time and from a good tuner such as PFS,SRT) Hopefully that helps you.
i concur ^^^
piggy backing is cool but stand alone gives you more options and dependability plus it has the freedom to map what you need and doesn't have to battle with the OEM ECU for control like the piggy back. Our stock ECU is a smart little devil and is always trying to correct specs back to stock..

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I'd take all the cheer leading about standalones with a grain of salt as everyone simply regurgitates the same BS without knowing what they are talking about.

Standalones invite their own complexities and issues. Everybody over simplifies and believe having a standalone will solve everything. Go out there and start researching how many people have blown their motors with standalones...

Invest in the tuner, not the equipment.

Emanage Ultimate is fully capable of getting you where you want. So is the AEM and the handful of other options out there. But none of it will matter if you don't get the right tuner to set it up properly.

http://my.is/forums/f114/emanage-ultimate-boost-resounding-success-345445/

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
^^ Waiting for you to post up. I noticed my a/fs (stock motor) going into boost friendly numbers under moderate to heavy load.

I'm not sure if thats mostly TPS, or MAF, or a combo. Can the car go into open loop/maybe still closed loop but wanting to see 12:1 when it sees a lot of air pass the MAF even if the throttle is partial or less?

I think the above will greatly effect physical mod/piggy compatibility. If only TPS related, then maybe its best to have a slow spooling and "laggy" setup, if TPS and MAF, then I suppose anything is a go with the right tune and tip in.

I think your tuning is primarily based on looking at fuel trims and "calibrating" the piggy around the OE tune to ensure those trims to not change too much, so that the open loop tune stays "predictable" and mostly un-affected. But would it be of use to have an LED indicator for closed loop/ open loop during tuning sessions?

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
I'd take all the cheer leading about standalones with a grain of salt as everyone simply regurgitates the same BS without knowing what they are talking about.

Standalones invite their own complexities and issues. Everybody over simplifies and believe having a standalone will solve everything. Go out there and start researching how many people have blown their motors with standalones...

Invest in the tuner, not the equipment.

Emanage Ultimate is fully capable of getting you where you want. So is the AEM and the handful of other options out there. But none of it will matter if you don't get the right tuner to set it up properly.

http://my.is/forums/f114/emanage-ultimate-boost-resounding-success-345445/
one year ago i would have agreed with you, however it is a new day. i have been through two motors, and coincidently i am on my 3rd EMS. emanage to EMU now to the AEM. i have to say that i think if the EMU is done properly it is a good system, however if you are trying to use an injector much greater than 440cc it struggles a bit.

i will never go back to a piggy back, i have bought two of them and i hope i have my last EMS ever...

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
MAF output is directly linear to the amount of incoming air. MAF with TPS (= load) will give you the enrichment you speak of. That overly simplifies it as other factors can contribute to load, such as manifold pressure (boost). Or you could say boost is a product of load as well. This is why you see the 2, 3, and/or 4 variable style topographical graph's in standalones.

From my experience, the stock ECU/EMU combination is flexible enough to handle any type of spool.

While you need to be aware of closed/open loop when tuning a piggy, it in itself does not affect how (to a point) you tune the different regions. A correct tune will allow the car to run just as well open or closed loop. With the advantage of closed loop being able to optimze for dynamic factors to optimize gas mileage.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
and people havent blown their motors with the EMU?
I did not imply this. My post was to focus on the tuner, not the hardware.

Get the wrong monkey behind and EMU and you will be guaranteed a nice paper weight.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
one of the most noticeable things in the standalone vs piggy arguments is timing control - piggy backs have miserable timing control. with the AEM my turbo spools SOOOOO much faster and i know i have supurb timing control to prevent knock and control the knock threshold.

bottom line - i will not go back :)

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
one year ago i would have agreed with you, however it is a new day. i have been through two motors, and coincidently i am on my 3rd EMS. emanage to EMU now to the AEM. i have to say that i think if the EMU is done properly it is a good system, however if you are trying to use an injector much greater than 440cc it struggles a bit.

i will never go back to a piggy back, i have bought two of them and i hope i have my last EMS ever...
And I sincerely hope 3rd time is charm for you.

Discussions regarding tuning should be separated from hardware. I have said this too many times. Hardware gives you features and capability. It does not give you the proper tuning.

Emanage Blue, AFC, SAFC, etc - does not have the feature set necessary to tune an OBD-II car properly

AEM FI/C and the EMU does give you the right tools to do the job...yes...even for larger than 440s. There is fundamentally no technical reason why it cannot...except for the monkey behind the tuning.

AEM and all standalones have all the features necessary, with 'some' drawbacks for day to day use, some more than others. These devices have the POTENTIAL to support IDEAL tunes (even moreso than a piggyback) but not without significant time/cost. Again...it's a make or break dependent on tuner.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Ide like to add a small amount of input...

The EMU is probably the best PIGGY BACK you can buy...

Standalones like the Haltech, AEM, and TEC3 are midrange to basic standalones if you ask me. If you are going to do a standalone and want it to drive PERFECT, and by perfect i mean STOCK OR BETTER, you will need somehting like an Autronic or Motec and that is the truth. Cheaper standalones simply do not have the advanced processors of expensive standalones and cannot drive the injectors with extremely fine control.

Dont get me wrong, my Tec3 drives damn well, but like TeckIS300 said, its the monkey behind the laptop (me) that got it that way, not because its the greatest standalone.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
i'm not sure about all of those but i know the AEM and MoTeC use the same 32bit Motorola processor.

something to think about....

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
i'm not sure about all of those but i know the AEM and MoTeC use the same 32bit Motorola processor.

something to think about....
I have also yet to see someone come on here or supraforums, or other forums in fact say that they havent have AEM units simply fail.

Even if they do use the same processor, they are nowhere in the same league.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
perhaps the hardware isn't as robust, but that's not what you said.
Cheaper standalones simply do not have the advanced processors of expensive standalones and cannot drive the injectors with extremely fine control.
that is simply not true,, the AEM, the TEC3, and the lot are very good with their processing capabilities. when you purchase motec you are purchasing superb hardware. hardware that is in fact water proof (submergeable). superior resistance to vibration, so on and so forth. its a hella tough box is the bottom line.

but as for processing capabilities, most use the same.. at least the AEM uses the same as the Pectel that is used in IRL, the new panoz DP01 cart car and many other series.

point being that the processing capabilities are pretty even, the differences come in the number of programmable inputs and the robustness of the hardware.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
perhaps the hardware isn't as robust, but that's not what you said.

that is simply not true,, the AEM, the TEC3, and the lot are very good with their processing capabilities. when you purchase motec you are purchasing superb hardware. hardware that is in fact water proof (submergeable). superior resistance to vibration, so on and so forth. its a hella tough box is the bottom line.

but as for processing capabilities, most use the same.. at least the AEM uses the same as the Pectel that is used in IRL, the new panoz DP01 cart car and many other series.

point being that the processing capabilities are pretty even, the differences come in the number of programmable inputs and the robustness of the hardware.
THere are also firmware and software differences that account for a lot of the better EMSs ability to achieve a 'stock or better driveability. Most of them are all very good at WOT, but tip in and part throttle are were it gets tricky to tune. I've spent the better part of the last week trying to dial in my part idle and part throttle tune!!!! Trust me, it ain't easy! Getting these injectors to the point that I don't have to have the laptop in the car at all times is going slowly.

Reactions: BlackSportD

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
What Motorola chip is that?

The MS2 uses the Motorola MC9S12C64, but its only 16bit. I'd like to mess with an Autronic one of these days, I heard its programmable inputs/outputs are good/versatile enough to run the sequential turbo system, I'd love to try that.

I'd say a large difference is the software too. You can have two of the same standalones, one with a much more complex program, one with a basic program, and they will run very differently though they are the same hardware. A firmware difference in my MS can make it go from less resolution fuel only maps to a higher resolution fuel, igntion ability or yet another firmware for knock input to yet even more firmwares out there to have boost control, VVTi etc etc.

*edit- htekwo beat me to it.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Hands down, I think that the most import aspect of choosing a system is what your tuner is the most familiar with. It really doesnt matter if you have tons of features and control if your map is shit to start with, although a GTE piston makes a nice desk addition:bah:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts