Lexus IS Forum banner

SRT with Emanage

2K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  SophieSleeps 
#1 ·
So I have the Emanage installed, and will be getting an SRT intake with R-ecu shortly. How will these 2 integrate? Will I need the R-ecu after I tune the emanage, or does the ecu interact with circuits other than those of the emanage (ign, MAF and injector)?

And I saw De's diagram (love the turd color comment). But what are these wires exactly? Are they the MAF wires (already running through the emanage), or the O2 sensor wires (as this controls fuel). And it looks as if I need to tap into the Constant wire, IGn. wire and tach wire? Do I have this correct? TIA to all who help, + reps will be given appropriately.

#2 ·
Split2nd said:
So I have the Emanage installed, and will be getting an SRT intake with R-ecu shortly. How will these 2 integrate? Will I need the R-ecu after I tune the emanage, or does the ecu interact with circuits other than those of the emanage (ign, MAF and injector)?

And I saw De's diagram (love the turd color comment). But what are these wires exactly? Are they the MAF wires (already running through the emanage), or the O2 sensor wires (as this controls fuel). And it looks as if I need to tap into the Constant wire, IGn. wire and tach wire? Do I have this correct? TIA to all who help, + reps will be given appropriately.

Given a very competant tuner, it is possible to tune your SRT intake with the emanage and NOT have to install the r/ECU at all.

You'd have to change the entire drive map to compensate for the bigger intake tube. Basically, you'd be recalibrating the MAF (like the r/ECU does, by hand, using the maps of the emanage.

If you want to take a short cut, however, you could attempt to install the r/ECU on top of the emanage... some have gotten this to work (more specifically, with the SAFC), others have not.

#3 ·
Das is correct, you'll need a VERY competent tuner to do this correctly and not have any issues down the road, Call Mo at SRT and ask him about it since the SRT intake is his product he'll prolly know how to exactly change the Emanage to work properly or at least be able to tell whatever tuner how to do it. Otherwise I think you'll prolly have alot less of a headache to just use the K & N or Injen intake.

Reactions: Split2nd
#4 ·
It shouldn't be that hard. Never done it before though.

Don't use the SRT ecu with the e-manage. Choose one or the other otherwise you'll get a lot of delay from the maf signal.

#6 ·
Save yourself the headache, your SRT will be bought easily in the market place for around $300. Just do that and get a K&N FIPK or something else with a heatsheild and use the emanage to tune that instead (life is easier). Or if you just bought it new, return/cancel the order cos it is a lot easier with another intake. What is the power difference b/n the K&N (I only use this as an example, there are others that are equally good) and the SRT? well according to some dynos from members here on the board and the SRT website, you will be looking at 9-10RWHP for the 'other' cai and ~13rwhp for the SRT. The 3-4RWHP isnt worth the headache IMO. Not to mention these are untuned times from the 'other' intakes.

BTW what kind of Emanage do you have installed?

#9 ·
So I installed the SRT intake, and tried tuning with the E-manage. Got it to hold an idle with the anti-stall setting, but that was about it. I ended up putting the Stillen back on, but still kinda had the idling out issue. One thing that I can think may be causing an issue is I cleaned the MAF sensor with the non-residual electronics cleaner. There may have been some residue left? Or one of the cats may have been clogged, because I got on it on the way home, and it STUNK. Rotten egg smell. Gonna try it again later this week. Keep y'all posted.

#11 ·
depends on how tuned that r-ecu is, your best bet would be to either search around here for a dyno of someone w/ one, that shows air/fuel ratio, or throw a wide band in your car, and see what it shows for air fuel, if you can safely lean out the air fuel more, an SAFC would help, if its allready pretty lean, you wouldn't gain much.

If you want to see where your car is at air/fuel wise, i am going to try and make it to KCIR next sunday, and i'll have my wide band w/ me.

#12 ·
VP500 said:
this might be the dumbest question but can you take out the r-ecu and get a safc? Would I notice a difference in power?

Not easily... the SRT r/ECU simply recalibrates the MAF, which the SAFC can do, but not enough to compensate for the airflow differences due to the SRT's 3.5in pipe.

You could fake this same recalibration by playing with sensor inputs and outputs on the SAFC (ie saying the input is one type of sensor and the output is another... doing a "calibration" because of the differences in sensors... I have gotten a car + 3.5in SRT intake to successfully idle this way with only the SAFC calibrating the MAF). Based on my own work here, the overall success of this is up in the air... the SAFC would have to have 2 sensor who have a difference close enough to recalibrate the MAF the 60%+ needed for a 3.5in MAF sampling area vs OEM.

The emanage, however, should be powerful enough to allow enough recalibration of the MAF, given a competant tuner.

#14 · (Edited)
VP500 said:
so basically it's worthless to do, right?

Eh, if you already had an emanage, you could easily make a 3.5in pipe (just buy some pre-bent 3.5in aluminum) and have an "SRT Intake" for less than $30... if you could tuneit yourself.

At one point, there may or may not have been a 3.5in pipe matched to a big upgraded throttle body sitting in my garage waiting for an adventurous NA car with an emanage for me to tune. That pipe might or might not still be sitting there. ;)

#15 ·
dasgalloway said:
Eh, if you already had an emanage, you could easily make a 3.5in pipe (just buy some pre-bent 3.5in aluminum) and have an "SRT Intake" for less than $30... if you could tuneit yourself.

At one point, there may or may not have been a 3.5in pipe mathced to a big upgraded throttle body sitting in my garage waiting for an adventurous NA car with an emanage for me to tune. That pipe might or might not still be sitting there. ;)

Think that is a hint there :lol:

VP

Don't make me smack you :lol:

#17 ·
I have the day off again tomorrow, gonna go right back at it. First and foremost, I have to take care of the idling issue. Popular belief is that I have a vac. leak. Car WOULD NOT run with the E-manage set flat, so I had to turn on the anti-stall setting. Had it stall a couple of times today, which almost got me killed. Literally. This is with the Stillen intake (which I have had). So something went wrong in the process of switching to the SRT and back. I hope that it is NOT the MAF sensor, or is this not the issue as the car runs fine when given throttle, just idles like shit.

#18 ·
Can you give us some more details? HOW are you switching stuff around b/t the srt and back and did you even hook up the r-ecu or just throw on the srt and go straight to the emanage?? I had the r-ecu and the emanage running at the same time when stuff was installed. I tuned with the emanage and then yanked off the r-ecu.

#19 ·
update:

Put the SRT back on, had some e-manage issues (had to de-install/re-install software). Got the car to run with the SRT tuned with the E-manage (THANKS De!). Added some fuel to be safe, drove around 25 miles and the car runs fine thus far. So it can be done. SRT with no "black box." Tuned with e-manage. Once I get the other mods on (header, new y-pipe, cam gear) I am gonna get it dyno tuned. I will update again when I have the results. Thanks everyone for the help.

#22 ·
Split2nd said:
update:

Put the SRT back on, had some e-manage issues (had to de-install/re-install software). Got the car to run with the SRT tuned with the E-manage (THANKS De!). Added some fuel to be safe, drove around 25 miles and the car runs fine thus far. So it can be done. SRT with no "black box." Tuned with e-manage. Once I get the other mods on (header, new y-pipe, cam gear) I am gonna get it dyno tuned. I will update again when I have the results. Thanks everyone for the help.
De tuned it? Good job De!

#23 ·
dasgalloway said:
De tuned it? Good job De!
As split2nd can attest to, it wasn't that hard.
The hard part was gettine the foackin e-mangle to communicate. That seems to be the biggest issue I'm always running across.

once that was done, it really was just a few seconds of logical thought. Split2nd can attest to the smoke. And we were doing well.

Unfortunately he has no wideband so I just got the car running. We tried pushing the rich side, but could only do so with our noses...so basically we had no idea.

But as long as he doesn't WOT the thing, the ecu will take care of lean conditions by tossing a CEL or retarding the timing.

#24 ·
^ good job De + rep when i can hit ya back with it.

gonna be interesting to see his results with the combo he's looking at.

#25 ·
SophieSleeps said:
As split2nd can attest to, it wasn't that hard.
The hard part was gettine the foackin e-mangle to communicate. That seems to be the biggest issue I'm always running across.

once that was done, it really was just a few seconds of logical thought. Split2nd can attest to the smoke. And we were doing well.

Unfortunately he has no wideband so I just got the car running. We tried pushing the rich side, but could only do so with our noses...so basically we had no idea.

But as long as he doesn't WOT the thing, the ecu will take care of lean conditions by tossing a CEL or retarding the timing.

Yah, once you get the basic priciple down, MAF callibration is all legwork.

Curious... did you go with a constant value across the board? Or did you have to vary your calibration by RPM?

#26 · (Edited)
dasgalloway said:
Yah, once you get the basic priciple down, MAF callibration is all legwork.

Curious... did you go with a constant value across the board? Or did you have to vary your calibration by RPM?
I started with airflow compensation. The SRT race ecu only conditions the maf signal so I knew that it definately could be done by adjusting airflow in itself.

I adjusted constant across the board to stay as even possible. Linear adjustment only. Basically we guessed because of no wideband.

In order to make sure it was as safe as possible:
I added fuel in the injection map in a linear fashion as well. How much? Well, what we did was make it enough to make it noticeably stupid. Then we leaned it so it would be on the rich side.

The car's ecu should make its own adjustments anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.