Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so i blew my final w55 (4th) one not even boosted some say its my driving i say its the trans i babyed the last one wasent even getting on it and boom shifted into second and it let go ok here is what i started with

2003 is300 5 speed

picked up a (1) v-160

drive shaft from car-parts.com was 150 had a problem with the one flange had to get new flang from toyo for the frount part atting to the v160 and was perfect whole drive shaft ending up costing me 200

srt parts supra crossmember which they fab perfect fit right in

srt tripod which is not a half fast cut tripod it is CnC machined direct drop in got to have for ur v160 swap

srt shift rod have to have it got to get it

clutch and flywheel tranny came with rps cyn r gee fw and stock clutch with rps PP

took me about 3 hours to pull everything out the w55

took me 2/ 1/2 hours to put in v 160 and another 30 min testing out

u have to make a new cluch line takes 2 minutes with flaring tool

the speedo i think might be off not sure have to check that out tommow
but def dont get caught up haveing a tuner kill u in price if u know what ur doing and dont be affriad it is direct drop in with srt parts and the drive shaft from a sequioa SRT thank you for makeing these part avalibale to the public this kinda crafman ship from these parts makes me wonder just how good ur turbo kits are i have herd some discussion but seeing what u are capleable of doing i think the kit might be above the market standard. i will soon find out hopefully. thank you for ur time and information and getting me the parts quikly since it is my every day car and i was down for a while

any questions comments pm me or post up here i will take pictures and i hope u guys sell alot of this produckt for anyone that has a v160 it is a must todaly kick asss no slop in the stick feels better then stock. oh yeah and i think a smile comes to my face every time i shift into 6 gear in my is300 the transmission that toyo should have put from the begining but hey we cant have everything we wish for right.

guys any questions comments

·
Boostin in the 505
2,242 Posts
Sounds awsome, I have to trash my stock auto before I can get a 6 speed :)! I'm sure you have heard of the ways to fix the speed calibration.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds awsome, I have to trash my stock auto before I can get a 6 speed :)! I'm sure you have heard of the ways to fix the speed calibration.
i dont think it is off by much i ordered the dakota digital box but my luck some weird reason it will be right on the money i am going to drive next to my brother today on the highway to do a speed check 25 40 60 80 see if we are reading the same how much i am off by but drove that car to worth thismorning and the trannny only likes to be shifted at high rps lol it is smooth as butter first gear is short but with na u can launch like a mofo turbo i would think wouldent be to bad people complain about the littlest shit

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I am glad you like the parts we make, comments like these definitely puts a smile on our faces. Thank You Sir!

Ok guys so i blew my final w55 (4th) one not even boosted some say its my driving i say its the trans i babyed the last one wasent even getting on it and boom shifted into second and it let go ok here is what i started with

2003 is300 5 speed

picked up a (1) v-160

drive shaft from car-parts.com was 150 had a problem with the one flange had to get new flang from toyo for the frount part atting to the v160 and was perfect whole drive shaft ending up costing me 200

srt parts supra crossmember which they fab perfect fit right in

srt tripod which is not a half fast cut tripod it is CnC machined direct drop in got to have for ur v160 swap

srt shift rod have to have it got to get it

clutch and flywheel tranny came with rps cyn r gee fw and stock clutch with rps PP

took me about 3 hours to pull everything out the w55

took me 2/ 1/2 hours to put in v 160 and another 30 min testing out

u have to make a new cluch line takes 2 minutes with flaring tool

the speedo i think might be off not sure have to check that out tommow
but def dont get caught up haveing a tuner kill u in price if u know what ur doing and dont be affriad it is direct drop in with srt parts and the drive shaft from a sequioa SRT thank you for makeing these part avalibale to the public this kinda crafman ship from these parts makes me wonder just how good ur turbo kits are i have herd some discussion but seeing what u are capleable of doing i think the kit might be above the market standard. i will soon find out hopefully. thank you for ur time and information and getting me the parts quikly since it is my every day car and i was down for a while

any questions comments pm me or post up here i will take pictures and i hope u guys sell alot of this produckt for anyone that has a v160 it is a must todaly kick asss no slop in the stick feels better then stock. oh yeah and i think a smile comes to my face every time i shift into 6 gear in my is300 the transmission that toyo should have put from the begining but hey we cant have everything we wish for right.

guys any questions comments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am glad you like the parts we make, comments like these definitely puts a smile on our faces. Thank You Sir!
More then happy you make these parts avaliable to the dyi guys thank you and i been driving the car everyday for the past 2 month with the swap and the parts are perfect better then new with little modification

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Now if the price on V160's came down, I would have one :pissed: . Glad to hear you got everything done and it works.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
so how much did everything end up totaling out to? including tranny,srt parts,misc. stuff etc.

I'm thinking about going from R154 to v160/v161 soon.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Pricing should come down on the V160'/161s soon...
well, in Canada anyway.....
The JDM supra's are legal to import starting in April and man are they cheap!!!!
$18,000 - $24,000 for the JDM version GTE!!!
I have my hands on an R-154 so I'm just goin to rebuild that & fire it in...

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Ask anyone that has had both tranny's in the car. The R154 does not even compare to the V160.

Pricing should come down on the V160'/161s soon...
well, in Canada anyway.....
The JDM supra's are legal to import starting in April and man are they cheap!!!!
$18,000 - $24,000 for the JDM version GTE!!!
I have my hands on an R-154 so I'm just goin to rebuild that & fire it in...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, but who can find one?

and at a realistic price?

I tried for almost a year. good luck......

once the JDM Supra's start roaming the streets here in Canada....

Then...a guy might be able to get his hands on one from salvage :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I know I cannot wait untill price drops.
The price for the V160's will NEVER drop. As a matter of fact Toyota has been steadily incerasing the prices every year for the past 5 years. There is simply too much demand for the price to drop.

Besides I do not know of any other transmission that you can get for $4500.00 that is proven to handle 1000+RWHP reliably. So in that sense it is decently priced and believe me the folks at Toyota know that.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hey Mo,

If a buyer sources all OEM toyota parts and you provide the necessary machined/custom parts to make the V160 a bolt on affair for a W55 to V160 conversion, how much are we looking at?..Feel free to add to the list if i missed anything else that needs to be custom made...

V160 install kit comprised of:

-SRT Crossmember
-SRT Tripod
-SRT shift rod

Buyer sources OEM toyota parts:

-V160
-V160 shifter/shift knob
-Sequoia driveshaft
-Flywheel
-Pressure Plate
-Clutch disc
-V160 pilot bearing
-V160 throwout bearing

Pulling the W55 tranny was a bitch, i got some battle scars on my tranny tunnel to prove it...lol...I may consider doing a V160 swap if my tranny ever takes a shit on me or when its time to replace the clutch again...

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Hey Mo,

If a buyer sources all OEM toyota parts and you provide the necessary machined/custom parts to make the V160 a bolt on affair for a W55 to V160 conversion, how much are we looking at?..Feel free to add to the list if i missed anything else that needs to be custom made...

V160 install kit comprised of:

-SRT Crossmember $200
-SRT Tripod $250
-SRT shift rod $75

Buyer sources OEM toyota parts:

-V160
-V160 shifter/shift knob
-Sequoia driveshaft
-Flywheel
-Pressure Plate
-Clutch disc
-V160 pilot bearing
-V160 throwout bearing

Pulling the W55 tranny was a bitch, i got some battle scars on my tranny tunnel to prove it...lol...I may consider doing a V160 swap if my tranny ever takes a shit on me or when its time to replace the clutch again...
There ya go! =):) ;) :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
What about the bell housing and stuff? Nothing else is needed? I thought that v160 was longer than our w55. Never actually looked at this, just what i gather from the rest of the posts...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Digging out some old thread :p

What about all the sensors, connectors and wires?
Do the sensors of the W55 direct plug onto the V160?
Or would I have to buy V160 sensors?

Anything else to take care when swapping?

Soon I will start my V160 swap, so it's time to get nervous. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Digging out some old thread :p

What about all the sensors, connectors and wires?
Do the sensors of the W55 direct plug onto the V160?
Or would I have to buy V160 sensors?

Anything else to take care when swapping?

Soon I will start my V160 swap, so it's time to get nervous. :rolleyes:
No the reverse and speed sensors don't plug into your V160 tranny.

Your V160 you buy should come with the reverse and speed sensor on it.
You will need to get some electric tape and butt connectors.
Splice your old reverse and your speed sensor wires from your IS onto the new V160's sensors.
Everything will work fine, but your speedo will be off by about 10mph if you are using the stock LSD IS300 rear end.
As far as wiring stuff. That should be it for you.

·
Registered
424 Posts
question i installed my v160 with srt's crossmember, shifter bracket, and shift rod. now origionally i used the mount that came with my tranny and the rear of the trans sat a little high and was like touching the tunnel top with srts billet bracket not alot but enough to hear the clanking when i shift. now it banged on my tunnel alot because the mount was worn but i just used it as a temp till i got my trd mount and now that i installed the trd mount the tranny sits even higher than before and thus annoying the crap out of me. now i know i can just bang the tunnel up a little but i dont think thats the right way. has anyone experienced this problem? do i have to raise the engine somehow or did everyone just bang the tunnel? thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 32 Posts