Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, most of you know i've been having misfiring problems. I've been truing to figure out why exactly this is happening. That's my first problem.

Second problem is that over time, my car seems to loose power, slow turbo spool, idle like crap. After I reset the ECU, everything is fine. But after a while it starts to get shitty again. I could only think that this was nothing to do with mechanical stuff...it had to have something to do with electrical stuff like tuning or the ECU learning stuff over time.

I figured out that my tuner had installed SRT's piggyback WITH my E-manage even though the e-manage was supposed to replace the piggyback. This was the cause of the loss of power and other stuff. What e-manage was doing was trying to correct SRT's piggyback a/f's...so it was working off of SRTs black box constantly correcting it. Now without SRT installed and with it retuned, it'll stay constant the whole time and run smooth will power all the time. So no more loss of power, slow spool or anything, it'll be working off of emanage ONLY.

Problem solved (so I hope). I will have my car retuned on saturday without SRTs ecu in and see if this fixes that problem...if it doesn't then i'm gonna go insane :pissed: But i'm 96% sure that's the cause.

As for the misfires:

If this doesn't solve the problem then I'm having my tuner take out the ignition harness for e-manage because they probably didn't install it correctly. As most of you know, only a few people know how to get it to work properly. That MAY be causing the misfires. If it fixes it, then I won't need the HKS Twin Power DLI afterall. If it doesn't, then i'll be $480 poorer.

I'll keep everyone up to date with how it goes this saturday. If you're near Englishtown, NJ, come down to the meet this sunday! If my cars running well after this saturday i'm gonna get some times...I know a bunch of other IS people will be there too! :D

To the Turbo Gurus: I'd appreciate advice and thoughts on my situation and if you think i'm right or wrong or whatever. Any info you would like to add to help me understand or fix this problem would be so helpful!!!

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
thousands of thoughts, one word

tuning

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
does it misfire at idle? or all through the rpm range?

If it only misfires at high revs and high boost, check your spark plug gap.

I accindently set mine to .035" when I first got the turbo installed, 3-4 days later I was having huge misfire problems at full throttle, and ended up fouling the plugs. I bought new NGK ones for a 95' Supra TT and gapped them to .025 - .027" and they have been fine ever since.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for thinking.

Also, does the misfire go away when you reset the ecu? or is it constant?

Good luck Alex,

Kane

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kanine21 said:
does it misfire at idle? or all through the rpm range?

If it only misfires at high revs and high boost, check your spark plug gap.

I accindently set mine to .035" when I first got the turbo installed, 3-4 days later I was having huge misfire problems at full throttle, and ended up fouling the plugs. I bought new NGK ones for a 95' Supra TT and gapped them to .025 - .027" and they have been fine ever since.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for thinking.

Also, does the misfire go away when you reset the ecu? or is it constant?

Good luck Alex,

Kane
What will happen is that I will reset the ECU and will drive around...not even boosting more then 5 psi...and the trac will start blinking. It seems this is at high rpms. My car was tuned to 7 psi, so I was thinking that the misfire could be caused by the fact that I was boosting more than that...apparently not since it misfired at 5 psi.

Everything is beautiful when I reset the ecu...but ater around 15 minutes to trac is on blinking. It also turns on at the same time as the CEL. Sometimes the CEL will blink at wot, but that is rare. I'm sure that means a misfire has occured while flooring it.

I'm hoping that this is just a result of the damn srt piggyback being installed. If I take out the piggyback, retune it completely and I still have misfire problems then I'm yanking out the ignition harness for e-manage. If that solves it then yay...if it doesn't then i'll be pissed off and have to buy the HKS DLI.

BTW, my plugs are gapped to what SRT recommended, so I don't think the gapping is the issue causing the misfiring.

Anybody eles care to add to this?

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
sounds like the installer is who you should be asking.......

i wouldnt drive around like that to long, sounds expensive :eek:

can i have a dot now? :lol:

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jupiterfish said:

I'd give you a dot if somebody didn't jack all mydots and leave me with negative.

I already talked to my tuner about it, we will have it retuned without the SRT piggyback. I've been driving around like this since I first got the turbo.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
lil' IS 300 said:
jupiterfish said:

I'd give you a dot if somebody didn't jack all mydots and leave me with negative.

I already talked to my tuner about it, we will have it retuned without the SRT piggyback. I've been driving around like this since I first got the turbo.
lil, pm me and I will answer your questions. The car is having problems because the stock ecu is detecting your new A/F settings. Once it sees the changes it tries to fix it, when it cannot fix it, then the ecu tries to toy with the timing. The ecu will actually back off the timing enough that it causes a misfire in the engine. Then the ecu detects the misfires and sends the car into limp mode. Once in limp mode, the car will run MAD rich and sputter and run like crap. Under full throttle it will run ok, but under partial throttle it will sputter, etc.

The answer is a good tuner. Emanage alone is not enough to guarantee that the car will run ok. If you remember about 6 months ago, I warned people that the car will do this without proper engine management. The stock ecu is the source of your problems.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wxman said:
lil' IS 300 said:
jupiterfish said:

lil, pm me and I will answer your questions. The car is having problems because the stock ecu is detecting your new A/F settings. Once it sees the changes it tries to fix it, when it cannot fix it, then the ecu tries to toy with the timing. The ecu will actually back off the timing enough that it causes a misfire in the engine. Then the ecu detects the misfires and sends the car into limp mode. Once in limp mode, the car will run MAD rich and sputter and run like crap. Under full throttle it will run ok, but under partial throttle it will sputter, etc.

The answer is a good tuner. Emanage alone is not enough to guarantee that the car will run ok. If you remember about 6 months ago, I warned people that the car will do this without proper engine management. The stock ecu is the source of your problems.
WXman - You're the first person to describe my problem PERFECTLY and it's a relief that someone is familiar with it. With that said, you have a PM and I really hope I get the important information I need. Check your PM, thanks!

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
are you gonna join in on our meet?or are you gonna go there and just run

·
Registered
476 Posts
Is SRT going to pay for all of this retuning, or was it the fault of the shop that you got it installed at???

From what I gather it's a problem with SRT's piggyback ECU...so what are they doing to correct it???

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ISinOH said:
Is SRT going to pay for all of this retuning, or was it the fault of the shop that you got it installed at???

From what I gather it's a problem with SRT's piggyback ECU...so what are they doing to correct it???
This is NOT SRT's fault. This is my fault and the place I had the kit installed/tuned at. There was a miscommunication and the SRT piggyback was installed accidently with the e-manage.

The problem with the SRT piggyback is that it's not supposed to be in with e-manage! If I just disabled the piggyback, then all of my settings for e-manage would be trash because my car was tuned with the piggyback.

So this saturday I am going to my shop, removing the piggyback ecu, and then completely retuning with emanage only. That will solve my problems hopefully.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
lil' IS 300 said:
ISinOH said:

This is NOT SRT's fault. This is my fault and the place I had the kit installed/tuned at. There was a miscommunication and the SRT piggyback was installed accidently with the e-manage.

The problem with the SRT piggyback is that it's not supposed to be in with e-manage! If I just disabled the piggyback, then all of my settings for e-manage would be trash because my car was tuned with the piggyback.

So this saturday I am going to my shop, removing the piggyback ecu, and then completely retuning with emanage only. That will solve my problems hopefully.
Wouldn't it be easier to disable the E-Manage and drive on the piggy back.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lambchop11078 said:
lil' IS 300 said:
ISinOH said:

Wouldn't it be easier to disable the E-Manage and drive on the piggy back.
It's possible. But here's the catch:

A while before I actually had my kit shipped, SRT told me to send back my PIggyback ECU because they needed to upgrade or reflash it. So not only do I have e-manage working to correct the piggyback and all this other garbage on top of that, the piggyback itself needs to be reflashed!

This is a mess...so I'm just going to continue to drive until saturday rolls around.

Besides, call me dumb, but I don't even know how to disable e-manage :-?

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
you should see my post, its the first reply to yours

lil' IS 300 said:
wxman said:
WXman - You're the first person to describe my problem PERFECTLY and it's a relief that someone is familiar with it. With that said, you have a PM and I really hope I get the important information I need. Check your PM, thanks!

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Re: SRT Stage 2 MADNESS with misfire, ECU... Need turbo PROS

lil' IS 300 said:
...then I won't need the HKS Twin Power DLI afterall. If it doesn't, then i'll be $480 poorer.
I just got mine off Ebay...NEW from a company...$395 delivered! Keep an eye out on Ebay. There are also many new Haltech units on there for a good price :wink:

I also have been getting trac light flashes and a CEL. But, my car's performance has not deteriorated. It idles fine and runs good under full boost (8psi). I'm hoping the addition of the HKS unit will solve this.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IS300GTE said:
you should see my post, its the first reply to yours

lil' IS 300 said:
wxman said:
I know I saw it. You told me to tune...but wxman is the first guy who described my problem and knew about it...at least fo rme.If you're familiar with it, please chime in, I need as much info as possible.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

redline814 said:
lil' IS 300 said:
...then I won't need the HKS Twin Power DLI afterall. If it doesn't, then i'll be $480 poorer.
I just got mine off Ebay...NEW from a company...$395 delivered! Keep an eye out on Ebay. There are also many new Haltech units on there for a good price :wink:
Yeah I know you did... bastard! :lol:

·
Registered
4,416 Posts

redline814 said:
lil' IS 300 said:

I also have been getting trac light flashes and a CEL. But, my car's performance has not deteriorated. It idles fine and runs good under full boost (8psi). I'm hoping the addition of the HKS unit will solve this.
Redline, I am confused. You have a SRT kit too? Are you on the piggyback?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts