Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the opportunity right now to buy an SRT Stage 2.75 Turbo Kit. It is used and the guy is asking $3000 obo.

1) Do you think this is a good price for a used SRT kit
2) Is there anything I should ask the guy or know before purchasing?
3) Are there any parts in particular that may be bad (how would I know by looking)
4) ????

Please help, +rep will be given out as soon as 12am hits and I get my rep filled up again.:) Any info you can give whatsoever would be appreciated.

·
Sofa King
4,826 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
That does sounds like a good price, One of the things I would check is if the turbo has any shaft play. Just wiggle the shaft back and forth and if it moves, it needs a rebuild.

hope I could help

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
So I have the opportunity right now to buy an SRT Stage 2.75 Turbo Kit. It is used and the guy is asking $3000 obo.

1) Do you think this is a good price for a used SRT kit
2) Is there anything I should ask the guy or know before purchasing?
3) Are there any parts in particular that may be bad (how would I know by looking)
4) ????

Please help, +rep will be given out as soon as 12am hits and I get my rep filled up again.:) Any info you can give whatsoever would be appreciated.
sounds like a good deal

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OH it's looking like I'll be buying it. I'm on the phone with the guy now. I'm only trying to go for like 350wrhp, you think this kit is overkill?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't think the kit is overkill, $3,000 is a great deal esp for a SRT kit which is imo one of the best kits out.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it matter if it came off an automatic? I have a manual.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It doesn't matter if it came off of an auto. Is there anyway you could meet up with the person before you purchase it to see if everything is there?

·
Registered
847 Posts
it doesn't matter if you have an auto or not and $3k for that kit is a great price. I think that kit is the best kit that you can buy in that price range hands down.

You can check things to see if there are any holes in the couplers or if the manifold has any cracks and if the turbo has any shaft play.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I get to look it over all I want to before I buy. Also he told me he's willing to take offers. So I know I will get it for less than $3k! I would love to bring one of you guys with me to go check it out if you live near me, I'd even pick you up:)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I printed out the sheet off of the SRT site so I can bring it with and use it as a check list.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also I figure if I buy the kit, bring it home, and decide I don't want if for some reason; I can always probably resell it for around the same price without losing much (as long as it is in good condition of course, I would never pass a messed up product on to others).

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Please be very weary and make absolutely sure that the kit is infact an SRT kit. Over the years we have seen numerous kits for sale as used kits claiming to be used SRT kits when in fact they had nothing to do with SRT, WHY DO PEOPLE DO SUCH SHIT?.

So always be cautious. Especially be cautious if they are selling it for cheap.

·
Registered
854 Posts
super deal! hope everything works out :)

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Another thing to consider would be the head gasket and studs of the 2.75 kit, IF they bothered to remove them, its not optimal to reuse them, especially the gasket.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
If you buy this and beat me to the install I'm going to be pissed man. Haha. I wanted to be the first and only SRT IS300 in the Northwest for a little while (atleast that I know of). 2 more months until I get home.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another thing to consider would be the head gasket and studs of the 2.75 kit, IF they bothered to remove them, its not optimal to reuse them, especially the gasket.
+rep to you :)

I could always just by a new head gasket from you guys:) The studs..(ARP Head Stud KIt)? How much are they?

Also this kit spend most of it's time on "show cars" that mostly sit and get looked at. He knows it's history or at least made up a good story. He says it's 3 years old though? Is that problem? I know SRT changed some things up in 2007 on this kit (is it actually like Stage 2.5 or something? Not sure if you changed the name of the kit when you upgraded stuff).

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Please be very weary and make absolutely sure that the kit is infact an SRT kit. Over the years we have seen numerous kits for sale as used kits claiming to be used SRT kits when in fact they had nothing to do with SRT, WHY DO PEOPLE DO SUCH SHIT?.

So always be cautious. Especially be cautious if they are selling it for cheap.
+rep:) (I +repped everyone else who posted on this thread too)

Is there a way to tell if it is an authentic SRT 2.75 Turbo Kit? Maybe like an "SRT" embossed into one of the cast parts? or something? :confused:

Once again any and all advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!! and +rep will be given to all for helping me out (I may fun out of +rep, but I'll get you hooked up asap). Pictures or stuff could be useful perhaps? I've looked at the ones on the SRT site.

Also to SRT, I could ask him if he know who originally bought it from you guys and PM you the name to see if it checks out (not sure if you have that info saved though?).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts