Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have in my possesion an SRT Race ECU but not the intake. Its supposed to have been flashed for headers and exhaust. I'm reading the instructions and it says:
DO NOT TRY TO OPERATE THE VEHICLE WITH ONLY THE INTAKE AND WITHOUT THE SRT ECU INSTALLED, SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR. ALSO DO NOT TRY TO OPERATE THE CAR WITH ONLY THE ECU INSTALLED AND STOCK INTAKE

Is this just a CYA from SRT? I've seen the intake and I don't see a difference in design from an Injen.

Mo?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
let me be the first to say don't do it. its intended to enrich your fuel curve because you are sucking in more air, and letting it out more freely with an exhaust and headers. it would cause your car to run too rich, which ain't all that good. you might even lose some power.

just get an intake. if you allready have an injen intake then that might not be too bad. but it would be nice to use what your supposed to use.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I've heard that the ECU with actually auto-sense to 1 of 2 settings, depending on whether or not you ARE in fact running headers/midpipe. At least that is what I was told from SRT. I believe Marken told me this, approx. mid-November when I called to check on this issue. I purchased a used SRT/ECU from a guy that WAS running headers/midpipe and Marken said it'd be no problem to run the ECU without them. It'd adjust. Is this what other people have heard? Or did I misunderstand?

I'm not commenting on whether or not to run an Injen with the ECU. I think that might personally be a bad idea. I'm just commenting on the "programmed for headers" comment regarding the ECU.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the posts fellas..

I have an intake, just not the SRT, I have the Pro-1 Headers and XERD Race Pipe with the Greddy Evo exhaust. So I do have mods that are already generating a more free air flow system. The difference being, SRT intake and non-SRT intake.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
it doesn't work. Tried it on a friend's car (against my recommendation)

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess I'm a little confused.. I've seen an SRT intake up close and there isn't anything special about the design..There aren't any special groves or electronics on the intake. The MAF is mounted very close to where Injen mounts theirs..
..I'll let you know what happens...

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
rllinghardis300 said:
Or you can just try it against my advice...

But don't say I didn't tell you so.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
rllinghardis300 said:
Guess I'm a little confused.. I've seen an SRT intake up close and there isn't anything special about the design..There aren't any special groves or electronics on the intake. The MAF is mounted very close to where Injen mounts theirs..
dont do it, the piping diameter is different.....the way the SRT intake works along with its shield is specific to the intake and the R-ECU

its not worth the risk.....please be careful dude!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
i'd trust these guys dude. they both steered me in the right direction before. even with the snot and twine holding the MAF on sophie. :lol:

sorry, had to say it :lol:

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
davefisher said:
i'd trust these guys dude. they both steered me in the right direction before. even with the snot and twine holding the MAF on sophie. :lol:

sorry, had to say it :lol:
Don't knock the twine man. That shit holds.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
And i wouldn't say it's cause of the heat shield necessarily. The shield just prevents air being blown in by the fan...that shizzle causes you to stall out.

It's the piping. It's not the right size.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Chigger said:
SophieSleeps said:
it doesn't work. Tried it on a friend's car (against my recommendation)
You sure about that?? :lol:
Ok ok. I wired it up wrong to prove I was right :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.