Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

See the pink circled part, I guess thats considered the AIR DAM? correct me if i'm wrong...

well, so i removed that part today to paint the piece, and doing so, I chipped off the hole that the bolt goes through and now it wont stay on securely...I've noticed other people sometimes take the piece off as well and dont have it on....

tonight, I drove around for a bit, I noticed that it sounded stronger, and felt stronger as I accelerated as well....I was worried perhaps without that piece it might trigger a CEL or something....but the car responded well without it....

also, I was painting the ECU box top, and took out my Race ECU and noticed it doesnt even say RACE on it....do I have a none Race ECU? when i'm down at SRT for the meet I'll let one of you guys there take a look....just curious about that little debacle as well....and no, it doesnt have it written on it either like i know some of them used to...

thanks for reading, and any input appreciated...

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
i'd just put it back in. epoxy a washer to the underside of it and then put the 10mm screw back in.

You'll be sucking in more hot air than normal. It might sound a little meaner, but I doubt it is.

As for a race ecu. I think it should have an R on it somewhere. You may want to check with Mo...but does it really matter?

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SophieSleeps said:
i'd just put it back in. epoxy a washer to the underside of it and then put the 10mm screw back in.

You'll be sucking in more hot air than normal. It might sound a little meaner, but I doubt it is.

As for a race ecu. I think it should have an R on it somewhere. You may want to check with Mo...but does it really matter?
thanks for the tips....plus, it was a cool night out this evening...probably made the difference as well....

yeah, the ecu doesnt have the R or Race or anything...so, when i'm down at SRT i'll have someone take a look!

anyone else not have the air dam on???

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lexcrazy said:
i think that you should put it on, cuz in the SRT website (www.swiftracing.com) the car they have has it on, so you should put it on too.

P.S.
Where did you get your SRT intake and for how much???
ummmmmm, thanks for nothing NEWBIE.... :-?

but seriously, have had mine since february, got it from Carson Toyota, do a search if you want it!

would appreciate input from fellow SRT intake owners....

thanks...

8)

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
It seems pretty obvious, that the thing is designed to get most of it's air from the OEM air scoop or whatever you want to call it.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bartkat said:
It seems pretty obvious, that the thing is designed to get most of it's air from the OEM air scoop or whatever you want to call it.
true...then you see people with other cold air intake kits that dont have that on either...which is why i brought it up also....does it really do anything....

i need an SRT expert to chime in.....I know not too many people are looking right now, and are probably away enjoying the holiday weekend...

thanks...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
well, i think that air channel is there to direct are more into where the intake head is, without it on it will just be taking air from inside the engine bay which would be hotter imo because it would be more circulated air before the intake is suckin it in. I think that having that part missing will not mess anything up, but i suppose it directs the air more efficiently to the intake. What i wuld think about doin if i had allot of spare time is make a bigger scoop or whatever so it could grab more air thats commin in at the front of the hood. Just just my two cents. Do whatever :wink:

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SupaLex said:
well, i think that air channel is there to direct are more into where the intake head is, without it on it will just be taking air from inside the engine bay which would be hotter imo because it would be more circulated air before the intake is suckin it in. I think that having that part missing will not mess anything up, but i suppose it directs the air more efficiently to the intake. What i wuld think about doin if i had allot of spare time is make a bigger scoop or whatever so it could grab more air thats commin in at the front of the hood. Just just my two cents. Do whatever :wink:
Interesting idea...well, I already have the PLP radiator panel and header heatshield, not shown in the picture i posted, so i am sure that the temps arent as bad, plus the air filter does have the SRT heatshield around it as well....

hmmmmmmmmm....any more ideas?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
true...then you see people with other cold air intake kits that dont have that on either
And we all know how well those worked...

injen gen 1 stalling , injen gen 2 stalling, rmm CEL, AEM stalling

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
it doesn't really matter if the air dam thing is there.........although you will get more directional air to the intake filter with it on.....

as for the ecu, just ask them........they might have made a few without stamping it on.......

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SophieSleeps said:
tsopranoMB said:
true...then you see people with other cold air intake kits that dont have that on either
And we all know how well those worked...

injen gen 1 stalling , injen gen 2 stalling, rmm CEL, AEM stalling
good point.....i never had one complaint about the intake ever, best sounding and working one as we all know....

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
By the way, that's not an "air dam," that's the intake snorkel.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
You should leave that piece in there, it is meant to direct fresh colder charge air into the intake filter chamber that is made by the heatshield. This is especially effective as the car moves; intake temps with and without result in about 10-15 degrees lower (sometimes even more dramatic).

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ÜberPhLuBB said:
no its not the snorkel! thats part of the stock air intake you dumbass.....

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Swift Racing Technologies said:
You should leave that piece in there, it is meant to direct fresh colder charge air into the intake filter chamber that is made by the heatshield. This is especially effective as the car moves; intake temps with and without result in about 10-15 degrees lower (sometimes even more dramatic).
thanks for the help, but now entering the colder time of the year, would leaving the piece off really do any harm?

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
It's called the snorkel, and don't start with insults... You wouldn't like me when I'm angry (do a search).

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ÜberPhLuBB said:
tsopranoMB said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
It's called the snorkel, and don't start with insults... You wouldn't like me when I'm angry (do a search).
its the air inlet....NOT Snorkel....

the snorkle is part of the stock air intake, the crinkley part, hence, the name SNORKEL....

geeze....get off it bro, yeah, you were WRONG...

:chill:

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
tsopranoMB said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:

the snorkle is part of the stock air intake, the crinkley part, hence, the name SNORKEL....

Touche. Was it that hard to show me I was wrong instead of just saying it? I certainly told you what I thought it was (though I was wrong).

BTW, is your caps button broken, or are you just too lazy to type properly?

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ÜberPhLuBB said:
tsopranoMB said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:
tsopranoMB said:
ÜberPhLuBB said:

Touche. Was it that hard to show me I was wrong instead of just saying it? I certainly told you what I thought it was (though I was wrong).

BTW, is your caps button broken, or are you just too lazy to type properly?
you only posted it 2 times claiming that you were the one who was right..

I appreciate you taking your time to point out something and to be so sure of it, only to be wrong...

no biggie...and thanks for your insight!

8)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts