Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean throughout all the intakes for the is300, is this srt really worth buying? does really provide 22 more hp and 22 more torque? :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,650 Posts
VP500 said:
does really provide 22 more hp and 22 more torque? :-?
i can tell you now, no intake is ever going to give that much rwhp/tq

dont waste it on that, save up and get a turbo, atleast your money will be well invested
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats for the replys guys..i really had no say but my family got it for me for christmas :-? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
VP500 said:
thats for the replys guys..i really had no say but my family got it for me for christmas :-? :)
lucky guy :D. if you ever decide you want something else, I might be interested in taking it off your hands
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
IS300_FIEND said:
I believe those numbers are to the flywheel not rear wheel.
How do you dyno at the flywheel??? :crazy:
 

·
Penetration Specialist
Joined
·
22,782 Posts
cnilu said:
it's not worth 500 bucks
First off, it is the best intake out there for the IS300. If other intakes came with a piggy back unit that adjusted the a/f ratio and did a spectacular job like the srt unit does, then they would be in the same, if not higher, price range. The srt intake package, which once resided on my car, was one of the best mods I ever did. the performance gains and sound it makes were GREAT!! I loved having it and would definately recommend it to anyone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,099 Posts
Wino_II said:
cnilu said:
it's not worth 500 bucks
First off, it is the best intake out there for the IS300. If other intakes came with a piggy back unit that adjusted the a/f ratio and did a spectacular job like the srt unit does, then they would be in the same, if not higher, price range. The srt intake package, which once resided on my car, was one of the best mods I ever did. the performance gains and sound it makes were GREAT!! I loved having it and would definately recommend it to anyone.
I agree wholeheartedly. I have had my SRT intake for well over a year, and it is still one of my best mods. It may be 500 bucks, but well worth it in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
I completely agree with Wino.. The SRT Intake was indeed one of my best mods, the sound is awesome, the performance gains are awesome. You can find used SRT Intakes floating on .net for around $400+ dollers, IMO is very worth it... I have been torn between going boost ... and staying N/A... However going boost seems like it would raise unessecary complications for my IS300. And I don't take my car to the track often, it is mostly my daily driver. I've had my SRT Intake for almost 20k miles, no complications and loved every bit of it. Very worth the $$ IMO...

just my .02 cents...

don't be bashin the SRT HFI, it is badass. you see any other intake come with a Piggyback ECU?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Man! How ungrateful!!!!!!! DAmn! A Free SRT-INTAKE. I would take that from you and frame it. Thats the greatest thing that has happened to me and my car since the air freshener!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
769 Posts
I hadn't seen this dyno or page before, but the dyno and advertised numbers didn't make much sense to me. The site says 22hp/22 ft./lb. torque(flywheel according to previous posts in this thread). Here's the dyno:

I took these numbers from the 5750 mark since they are marked there and the < 2750rpms part of the dyno doesn't contain a baseline set of numbers:

(torque)153.3 - 139.6 = +13.7 rwhp
(rwhp) 168.4 - 153.3 = +15.1 ft./lb tq.
So this is the gains at the wheels right?

What is different between an SAE and a STD dyno? How is this calculated differently? Is this particular dyno the one used used to derive the 22hp/22 ft./lbs tq.? Is this a fair calculation for the difference between flywheel and rear wheel hp and torque:

13.7/22*100 = ~62.27% of the 22hp (-8.3hp total from the 22hp flywheel) and
15.1/22*100 = ~68.64% of the 22 ft/lb. tq. (-6.9ft/tq total from the 22 ft./lb. tq flywheel)

Does the SAE calculation reduce ~38% hp and ~32% torque? I thought SAE was something like a 2-3% difference? Was this dyno pull done on an auto or a manual? Does the 22hp/22 ft./lbs. tq. calculation come from a different dyno, or is my math totally phucked? Is it possible for the auto or manual tranny to be losing ~38% of the hp and ~32% of the torque from the flywheel ratings? Did I do this math wrong?

I know this is the best intake out there for the IS, so don't think I'm trying to start something because I'm not. I was just curious if the dyno and quoted numbers matched up and I had a discrepency trying to figure it out. In the sticky there aren't any cars with ONLY the srt/hi-fi intake, so I couldn't use that to check against either. I may have done all of the math completely wrong or be completely out of my head, but I can't get the dyno to be even close to the 22/22 flywheel #'s listed on the site.
The whole SAE vs. STD thing may be causing my problem as well. Any thoughts on this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
DarkStorm said:
I hadn't seen this dyno or page before, but the dyno and advertised numbers didn't make much sense to me. The site says 22hp/22 ft./lb. torque(flywheel according to previous posts in this thread). Here's the dyno:

I took these numbers from the 5750 mark since they are marked there and the < 2750rpms part of the dyno doesn't contain a baseline set of numbers:

(torque)153.3 - 139.6 = +13.7 rwhp
(rwhp) 168.4 - 153.3 = +15.1 ft./lb tq.
So this is the gains at the wheels right?

What is different between an SAE and a STD dyno? How is this calculated differently? Is this particular dyno the one used used to derive the 22hp/22 ft./lbs tq.? Is this a fair calculation for the difference between flywheel and rear wheel hp and torque:

13.7/22*100 = ~62.27% of the 22hp (-8.3hp total from the 22hp flywheel) and
15.1/22*100 = ~68.64% of the 22 ft/lb. tq. (-6.9ft/tq total from the 22 ft./lb. tq flywheel)

Does the SAE calculation reduce ~38% hp and ~32% torque? I thought SAE was something like a 2-3% difference? Was this dyno pull done on an auto or a manual? Does the 22hp/22 ft./lbs. tq. calculation come from a different dyno, or is my math totally phucked? Is it possible for the auto or manual tranny to be losing ~38% of the hp and ~32% of the torque from the flywheel ratings? Did I do this math wrong?

I know this is the best intake out there for the IS, so don't think I'm trying to start something because I'm not. I was just curious if the dyno and quoted numbers matched up and I had a discrepency trying to figure it out. In the sticky there aren't any cars with ONLY the srt/hi-fi intake, so I couldn't use that to check against either. I may have done all of the math completely wrong or be completely out of my head, but I can't get the dyno to be even close to the 22/22 flywheel #'s listed on the site.
The whole SAE vs. STD thing may be causing my problem as well. Any thoughts on this?
Here are some clarifications since you are so curious even though you have a PFS Turbo kit. :-?

The dyno was done on a bone stock '01 Auto.

At 5770 RPM, where the cursor line indicates: you have Base HP of 153.3 and with SRT HFI of 168.4, difference of 15.1 RWHP or 9.85% increase, approximately 10%. However that is not where the largest differences in HP stand. Therefore what we are saying is that an average gain of 10% is realized @ certain RPM windows (area under the curve). So 10% of 215HP is approximately 21.5HP or 22. Remember peak numbers are just that and does not really account for much, just like the peak TQ curve does not play any role in the dyno chart.

Same theory goes for torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
769 Posts
Sorry Mo, I didn't realize that I wasn't allowed to ask questions. Like I said, I couldn't make the numbers work out to 22/22 and you're response didn't help with that at all. I would have asked the same thing if any other intake had that dyno with those numbers. It wasn't a flame, just a question.

What I was really looking for was the math that is used to calculate the flywheel hp based with that particular dyno along with the mathmatical difference between SAE and STD. I also thought the trannies lost different amounts of power and it doesn't appear as those are taken into considerations. I thought the flywheel numbers would be higher than the ones posted based on that, but then I came across the 32%-38% discrepency and I'm pretty sure the trannies don't lose that much, but I thought the auto lost more than 10%. I used the numbers you marked on the dyno because you marked them on the dyno. I assumed you did that to illustrate how you determined the numbers you posted(22/22) on your website.

If you are going to use area under the curve as a basis, then how did you calculate an average of 10% gain under the curve at the flywheel? Back to my original question, what calculus is used to generate these numbers and how are the equations different from SAE to STD.

10% of 22 is 2, so that would mean the actual gains would be 20/20 to the wheels. On the dyno, except maybe around the 4000-4500 mark, looks like 10-15 hp and torque gains. That is still not 22/22 by about 25%. So, here we are back to the same question. How is this actually calculated? What math did YOU use to calculate this, or did you stick with the basic algebra and post an unachievable number? Did the dyno calculate area under the curve and then average it for you, or are you just assuming that your 10% math is exact and accurate? I'm not trying to say that you are wrong by any means, I'm just trying to understand how you came up with the 22/22 numbers and the 10% blanket calculation doesn't make sense since there is more than 10% lost through the trannies. Area under the curve is a much more complicated calculation and if that's what you used I would like to know how it was figured.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top