Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They claim 30hp and 40torque gains with their setup. Obviously they are speaking of crank gains but are the numbers a little high? If so what are the more realistic gains, and was this a noticable mod (butt dyno). Thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
that is around the correct numbers for this intake. do a search, they talk about this intake quite abit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How easy is it to splice in those wires though. can you please describe how to do it. I have searched high and low for exactly how to wire it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Obviously you haven't searched as you say you have because there are diagrams all over the place here.

The soldering of the wires seems to be everyones biggest fear but IMO it's really simple. My first time ever soldering was with this intake and it was a breeze. For future reference this is the diagram I used to install courtesy of SophieSleeps:

·
Registered
122 Posts
lol, very easy to install. just follow that diagram above. but you need to sodder it. Get someone with sodder exp...instal takes probably 30 minutes or less

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
haha i don't know about a half an hour or less install.. Maybe for the wiring alone yes. I'd say probably closer to 1 - 1.5 hours for a clean total install, and your driving down the road!

·
Registered
650 Posts
i didnt even solder mine. i just twisted the wires together and covered w/ electrical tape. i did it this way b/c i had planned on goin boosted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im sure this is personal opinion but does this mod give the car a nice kick in the pants? Im about to purchase on 01 on Sunday but dont want to get into boost bc I am coming from a 2000 twin turbo Audi s4 and im tired of all the problems. Im not expecting to get this car into or near the hp of the s4 but wanna give it a good bit more power.

·
13,727 Posts
Coming from a twin turbo car you may be disappointed, the only way to get real hp out of the IS is to go forced induction. But hey, at least your car won't break down every month!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Absolutely solder it! I wouldn't even think about just twisting them together..

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey
I am about to hook mine up... do you think I could just leave the SRT ECU in when I go do my smog check?.. the ECU really leans out the ratio so that would make cleaner air come out of my exhaust yeh?

Having to take the SRT ECU out and solder it back is my only fear

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hey
I am about to hook mine up... do you think I could just leave the SRT ECU in when I go do my smog check?.. the ECU really leans out the ratio so that would make cleaner air come out of my exhaust yeh?

Well there isn't a way for the car to really function with just the intake in and no R-ECU

So yeah either do it all at once

or none at all until after the check

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hey
yeh right. Your CEL will be blinking like a Christmas tree. Test is over!

You dont have to uninstall anything. Just unplug the black box and patch the wire that you cut back together, everything is back to stock.

·
Registered
432 Posts
okay okay... so I will install it and then discounted the srt ecu from the wires and put the stock intake back on yeh? hmm okay.

I just won mine on ebay for 180 dollars and I haven't even seen it yet

I know.. what a deal =)

·
Registered
650 Posts
No splicing or twisting only soldiering!
only reason why i spliced it was b/c i'm goin boosted soon. like next week soon. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts