Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the srt intake and have been thinking about making a piece to mimick the LMS cold air intake.
1st off would this be beneficial with the "black box" or would it defeat the purpose of the blackbox?
Secondly why is it that when you take the plate off of the heat shield (where the factory air scoop runs to) it is not beneficial? i thought the more air the better?
If extending the srt inake to a CAI would not work with the "black box" could i still run a tube from behind the fog light to pickup air into where the air-filter is mounted now and gain some sort of cold air ram air effect? I know i would have to cut a hole for the pipe to come up into the engine bay to achieve this.
If i were to do the ram air thing, if i were to make a piece to add onto the heatshield to seal it off(make a box essentially using the srt heat shield the perimeter) would there be any benefits? Lastly has anyone ever relocated there iat sensor to say the actual intake tube, would this trick the computer into thinking the air was colder?
thanks

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Secondly why is it that when you take the plate off of the heat shield (where the factory air scoop runs to) it is not beneficial? i thought the more air the better?
I know on mine if i dont have it, it trips out my MAF sensor on the freeway. This is what happens:

crusing along at constant throttle. all fine
slight lift of throttle, air is still being pushed into that area because that baffle isnt redirecting the airflow. the ecu thinks something is wrong becuase there is too much air for the given throttle position and the ecu shuts the throttle completely, making my car feel like it suddenly died. gives you a kind of herky-jerky sensation on the freeway. not very comfortable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok that makes sense, so would the whole ram air thing probably do the same thing then?

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
From what I understand, the problem stems from turbulence past the MAF. The block plate keeps too much air from ramming into the filter, unblocking it and/or creating a cold air extension to the SRT box would cause problems.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I understand, the problem stems from turbulence past the MAF. The block plate keeps too much air from ramming into the filter, unblocking it and/or creating a cold air extension to the SRT box would cause problems.
as in problems do you mean less power? cel? blown engine ahhah, thanks

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
CELs and/or some "stumbling"

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
^^^thanks. good way of puttin what i was trying to say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts