Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SRT,

I was installing your Intake system yesterday that i received about a week ago. The install and instructions were very informative and helpful. Intake was installed exactly how the directions described. Also the wiring was done exactly the way it was said too. This was installed on a 2003 model year and i used the 2002 wiring diagram which best described my ecm.

- Everything was soldered on and secured properly. Double and tripple checked all connections. Everything came out perfect.

I started the car and the car was running really RICH!!. I also recevied two codes which were ( maf circuit out of range, Bank 1,2 overly Rich condition )

I let the car idle for about an hour, also drove the car around so the parameters in the ecm could adjust. After the adjustment was done the car was running so rich it was shooting out black smoke constantly. Also i lost most of my throttle response. I performed a few tests since i work for Lexus myself. And am coming to the conclusion that the R-ecu may have a malfunction in it.

-I installed 3 different MAF sensors from different IS vehicles to check if mine was damaged. ( all reacted the same way )

-Removed the SRT intake tubing and installed stock unit ( same reaction )

- Installed SRT tubing and removed R-ecu ( system ran much better )

As of right now i have removed the SRT tubing and R-ecu to not further damage the car by driving it running rich.

My question is have you had many complaints on this situation? do you have any other diagnostics i can perform ? I have a strong feeling that the sensor 1 may be backwards if i may ask. The green wire on the black box goes to the connector to the ecm, The orange goes to the same wire but leading to the engine harness That is what the directions explained to do. By any chance would it be the other way around ? Also any other course of action i can take i.e - send the R-ecu back for warranty, or get a new one ? I thank you for taking the time to look into this situation.

To all the members i am a hardcore SRT fan. And plan on doing the SRT turbo kit within the next year :)

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
I think you need to disconnect the battery and do something with the brake peddle to reset the ECU. Do a search on how to reset it, I think that should fix your problem.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I had the battery disconnected the entire time when installing the intake and the R-ecu. I would say it was off for about 2-3 hours. Since i installed it at work.

·
14,279 Posts
OK, but I still think you have to reset the ECU after installing the intake.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having the battery unplugged will reset the ecu. Especially having the neg off for about 3 hours. Im completely stumped. I plan on calling SRT tomorrow however i hope they can read this today and give me some suggestions or on what to do so that i can furhter analyze the system.

·
14,279 Posts
You do a combination of keeping the battery disconected and press the brake 10 times or something. Do a search on how to reset the ECU.

·
Registered
36 Posts
what year is your is300? I found that the instruction for the intake were backwards. the instructions showed 2002 and 2001+ for the ecu diagrams. it should have been the other way around. 2001 and 2002 + .You think by now they would fix this,but it must be expensive to move that + sign around LOL. so I have a 2003 and i used the diagram that said 2001 as this showed the right ecu diagram.

mike

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike, Thank you for the input. I actually used the 2002 diagram. Reason being the connectors on the 2001 ecm did not match up to the connectors on my ecm. 2002 was the correct one for my application. I know what you mean on the 2001 + , 2002.

I spoke to moe today. And he was very helpful in determining what was wrong and gave me a few pointers over the phone. At the end he informed me to send the R-ecu back to have it evaluated and possibly warranted. If worst case scenario it does not work when i get it back or a new one. I will take the trip out to SRT and have them install it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sent back my R-ecu for diagnostic work to Rob. Conclusion was the R-ecu must have had some sort of Malfunction. Rob was extremely helpful and answered any and all questions i had regarding the Intake, and any other products pertaining to SRT. Got my R-ecu back within a day. Installed it today and took it for a ride. All i can say is WOW!!! it shows how much the car was lagging on the stock airbox. My sincere gratitude to Rob and the rest of the SRT family. I look forward to doing business with them in the near future. ( SRT 2.75 Turbo kit )

·
Registered
641 Posts
Why the SRT?

Sent back my R-ecu for diagnostic work to Rob. Conclusion was the R-ecu must have had some sort of Malfunction. Rob was extremely helpful and answered any and all questions i had regarding the Intake, and any other products pertaining to SRT. Got my R-ecu back within a day. Installed it today and took it for a ride. All i can say is WOW!!! it shows how much the car was lagging on the stock airbox. My sincere gratitude to Rob and the rest of the SRT family. I look forward to doing business with them in the near future. ( SRT 2.75 Turbo kit )
Too lazy to search but what are the exact gains you get with this intake? hp and tq? Mind taking some pics> planning on getting one myself. And why did you choose this intake over all the others? Any input is apprecited. Thanx:p

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, SRT dynoed a stock IS which put out 155whp , 166wtq. After the intake install the IS pulled out 168whp, 202wtq. <-- quoted off of their website.
I cant vouche if i made that much since i have not dynoed my car and for the money i wont since its an intake install only. I can def say that there was a tremendous increase in all gears and rev patterns. The car is def more smoother than it was before. Once you have the intake installed you realize how much of a restriction the stock air box becomes.

Reason why i chose this intake over others is because they use 3.5" intake tubing where as aem,k&n,injen all use 2.5" . The SRT intake can inject more volume of air to compensate the bigger tubing they also provide you a AAFC system which wires into your ecm. This adjusts the a/f ratio and parameters to help everything work in sync.

injen,aem,k&n intake ($250-300)
tubing 2.5"
no tune (minimal gains)
apexi safc,greddy,aem ($350-400)
prof tune ($150-300)
TOTAL $750 (roughly)

SRT intake ($450)
tubing 3.5"
AAFC tuned (max gains)
AAFC included
AAFC tuned
TOTAL $450

As you can see its a win win situation.

I plan on selling this bad boy by the end of the year and purchase their Turbo kit.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
+rep man. Thanks for lookin out.:cool: Definitely getting one soon. When can we expect the boost?

Well, The IS belongs to my wife. Im planning on purchasing a MK4 TT supra. If that doesnt happen i plan on boosting by aug,sept. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts