Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, im currently running Eibach Pro-kit springs on the car, and after installation i noticed that my front passenger side squeaks. Going over bumps and such cause it to make a creaky, squeaking sound that can be heard in the cabin (when the music is off). If i go outside the car, and push down on that right-passenger front wheel, the springs makes the same noise, so its definetly that wheel. Any ideas on what may cause this? I am bringing it to the mechanic on saturday, and i wanna have a few things in mind to help fix this problem. The mechanic said it could be the bushing that needs to be adjusted. Any thought on if that would be the case, do bushings make noise?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
If it is the bushing, then the readjusting sounds like it means that the coilover assembly was not aligned properly......this would be the fault of the mechanic who would have been well aware that this was the case but forced it in anyway because he was too lazy to take out the coilover, recompress the spring, and realign the assembly.

I had to do exactly that because although I could have made it fit, It was obvious it wasn't perfect so I took the time to do it right.....but because I did I don't know if the result would have been the squeak that you are having.....but if that's what would have happened, I'm really glad I took the time to do it right (9 hours actually).

I have no noise whatsoever with my install which I did at the beginning of the summer.

EDIT To answer question below

1 The coilover assembly will have to be removed.
2 The spring compressed.
3 The upper mount and shock absorber rotated (just a tiny bit) so the bolts on the upper mount/strut tower and the shock absorber bushing/control arm line up.
4 Reinstall assembly.

To answer your earlier question bushings can squeak. The other often squeaky bushing in the suspension are the swaybar bushings. Polyurethane bushings are expecially prone to squeaking. Lithium grease (best) or even some silicone spray may also do the trick.

Also if the coilover assembly is misaligned, then it will be easy to see because the bushing at the bottom of the shock absorber will not be at a perfect 90 angle to the control arm once most of the bolts are loosened....so taking it all apart will not be necessary to establish if this is the cause. It would be best if you can see it for yourself when you take it to the mechanic so you know he isn't BSing you.

This also means that even if it is misaligned it is easy to throw it in and tighten the bolts....but this will load up the bushing which I can see will either squeak and certainly over time will wear out prematurely.

Good luck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response CEB. Ok...so what does it take to re-align the assembly? Do they have to take apart the spring over again, and re-do the mounting? Im not familiar with the suspension interworkings of the car.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
mine does it sometimes. not a biggie for me though. Did you use the bump stops from eibach? You could try and use silicon spray around the bushing areas. Again I don't now how severe your squeaking issue is.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i brought the car in on saturday. And for the time being we have solved the problem. The squeaking sound has nothing to do with the springs, it was the control arm bushings and all the other related rubber parts in the front suspension components. Just to let you all know in case you have a similar problem. I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
What did you do to solve the sqeaking then?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They sprayed grease to the bushings all around that suspended wheel. So essentially, blast it with silicone or grease in any areas that move.

Reactions: pradda

·
Registered
745 Posts
Nice, thanks for the info +rep. I'll have to jack up my car and give that a shot.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
how cold is it where you live? Mine does that only when its cold out.

If you or your mechanic had to remove the sway bar connection to get those springs on, it could be a loose nut there too.

Reactions: pradda

·
Registered
745 Posts
Its warm here in Silicon Valley so its not a weather thing because I get the same noise at 85 degrees that I get at 55 degrees.

Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
mine's creaking real bad, i'm hoping to solve it tomorrow if the weather is ok.

i know the shock and spring are perfectly aligned and the sway bar endlinks/droplinks are ok so don't really know what else to check

1 - 11 of 11 Posts