Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I installed my L-tuned sways sometime in '02. Upon first install I greased the HELL outta the bushings and yet I still heard a little bit of creaking at parking lot speeds when turning the wheel all the way or entering a driveway, but it was minor. Now I'm hearing major creakage in driveways, turning at slow speeds, speed bumps, etc. It's kind of embarrassing cruising in a new Lex with all of these squeaks going on. One Lex mechanic told me I might not have matched up the notches in the front shocks (stock) where they mount at the top. ?? I've had someone turn the wheel in a driveway while I lay under the wheel well but I can't definitively identify the source of the noise.
Anyone else have this problem and can recommend a specific type of grease to use on the bushings, if that's my issue? I may just have to take the shocks off again and check their fit. :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,662 Posts
Vman said:
Hi all,
I installed my L-tuned sways sometime in '02. Upon first install I greased the HELL outta the bushings and yet I still heard a little bit of creaking at parking lot speeds when turning the wheel all the way or entering a driveway, but it was minor. Now I'm hearing major creakage in driveways, turning at slow speeds, speed bumps, etc. It's kind of embarrassing cruising in a new Lex with all of these squeaks going on. One Lex mechanic told me I might not have matched up the notches in the front shocks (stock) where they mount at the top. ?? I've had someone turn the wheel in a driveway while I lay under the wheel well but I can't definitively identify the source of the noise.
Anyone else have this problem and can recommend a specific type of grease to use on the bushings, if that's my issue? I may just have to take the shocks off again and check their fit. :-?
I just re-greased my bushings and all the noises are gone. I used a sythetic grease and put a ton on them. Make sure you use the white line on the sway to line it up when re-installing the sways.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52,610 Posts
Synthetic grease or marine grease is good. Also first check all your mounting bolts. That includes the bolts that hold the bushing brackets to the car. That's where I found my noise, one of those attachig bolts was loose. Also, check the fastners at the sway bar ends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bartkat said:
Synthetic grease or marine grease is good. Also first check all your mounting bolts. That includes the bolts that hold the bushing brackets to the car. That's where I found my noise, one of those attachig bolts was loose. Also, check the fastners at the sway bar ends.
Okay, thanx guys. I'm pretty sure I used a synthetic lithium-type grease on the bushings.
Wxman, don't remember seeing a white line....you have the dark red L-tuned sways? Guess it's time to jack it up and get on the creeper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,662 Posts
Vman said:
bartkat said:
Synthetic grease or marine grease is good. Also first check all your mounting bolts. That includes the bolts that hold the bushing brackets to the car. That's where I found my noise, one of those attachig bolts was loose. Also, check the fastners at the sway bar ends.
Okay, thanx guys. I'm pretty sure I used a synthetic lithium-type grease on the bushings.
Wxman, don't remember seeing a white line....you have the dark red L-tuned sways? Guess it's time to jack it up and get on the creeper.
I have the TRD Racing Yellows. There has to be some white line for you to line the sway bar up the bushing. If not, you will have to estimate a center point.

As for the endlinks. Use a small allen wrench to hold the screw and tighten down the bolt good. That is another source for a lot of noise under the car.
 

·
Threadlocker
Joined
·
8,984 Posts
an old trick i learned is that plumbing teflon tape between the bushing and the sway will keep the noise away. i have had my sways on for about 8 months now, no noises yet. only greased them with lithium grease during initial installation.
 

·
Nygmatic
Joined
·
2,683 Posts
no squeaks here, i just lubed the hell out of them using marine lithium grease. area51
 
G

·
hey mine is squeaking too.

but mine is squeaking b/c i forgot to grease them when i did the install, and i drove through a bad storm. which i think caused the sways to squeak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
Vman- I too have the same exact problem. I have the L-tuned sways. I hear squeaking when going up driveways, turns, bumps, etc... I hate it!

How easy/hard is it to re-grease the bushings? Can I just jack up the car, or will I have to totally remove the sways?

Can lexus do this for me since they are L-tuned? I don't have stock springs though. :roll:
 

·
Threadlocker
Joined
·
8,984 Posts
Superman IS 300 said:
Vman- I too have the same exact problem. I have the L-tuned sways. I hear squeaking when going up driveways, turns, bumps, etc... I hate it!

How easy/hard is it to re-grease the bushings? Can I just jack up the car, or will I have to totally remove the sways?
you will have to remove the brackets + bushings... if you had the hotchki's they have pressure fittings that you can inject new grease into...

Can lexus do this for me since they are L-tuned? I don't have stock springs though. :roll:
i'm sure they can, but they will rip you on the labor...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
irv_usc said:
you will have to remove the brackets + bushings... if you had the hotchki's they have pressure fittings that you can inject new grease into...



i'm sure they can, but they will rip you on the labor...
I had Lexus Stevens Creek (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA) re-install my L-Tuned sways and regrease them free of charge. Only thing is that it took them three tries that day and the car was in their shop for about 8 HOURS!! In the end the sways are just as quiet as the stock ones...PERFECT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Sorry to bring this back to the top, but I am getting the creeking noise from my sways when going over dips or speed bumps at low speeds. I know its the bushings rubbing against the bars but is there any way to grease them WITHOUT removing the bushings first?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
The only way to really get the grease in there is to remove the bushings and fully grease, but it won't be as hard as you think. Just unbolt the bushing brackets and then let the swaybar drop down a little bit and use your finger to force some grease into the bushing at the split in it. Then put the brackets back and bolt it up. It should only take you 20 minutes to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,050 Posts
Hey Guys;

I'm Bone Stock with 24k mi and it seems that I'm expiriencing the bushing noise, or maybe it's some other part of the suspension. :suspiciou But I'm guessing it's the bushings, because when I go over speed bumps or any kind of dips I get the squishy/squicky sound? Will greasing my stock bushings help? Or do I have something else in my suspension that is making the noise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
^ Could it be a damaged shock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,050 Posts
pradda said:
^ Could it be a damaged shock?
No Sir, at least that's what I think :pissed:
The noise goes away when it's raining, and you run over some water. (Water lubricates rubber parts) Meaning not sure if it's the bushings, might be some other rubber pieces, but for sure it's not the shocks.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top