Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2001 SI300 a few weeks ago. As of the last two days, I have noticed a squeaking / squealing noise coming from the front exterior passenger side of the car. I cannot tell if it is underneath the hood or near the wheel, but it sounds as though it is coming from the wheel area. The sound can usually only be heard in excess of 10mph, and seems to have a rhythm the correlates with the speed of the car / rotation of the tire. As far as I can see, theres nothing touching / obstructing the wheels motion.

Through google I've found out that it may be a worn fan belt, brake pads, or wheel bearings. The fan belt appears to be in good shape, and doesn't quite seem like it would result in the sound that I am hearing. I am unsure on how to test the other possible problems without taking it to a mechanic. Has anyone suffered this issue with their IS300, or any other car?

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Dont know if the thread starter will find any help from those links, but good job taking the effort in providing help to the new comers to this site. +rep

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. Didn't see much in that thread matching my symptoms other than the sway bar bracket, and after searching the forums / web a little bit, I still have no idea how to access the sway bar / test for the issue. Care to help a newbie some more?? :-\

·
Registered
359 Posts
You should really post in the "Stop, Drop, and Roll" threat because that is where all the suspension problems are delt with... this is mainly for looks... body kits, lights, ect.

Also... do the strut test where you start push down on your car (passanger side front for you) and make it bounce and see how many times is bounces. I think 2-3 is correct... you'd have to ask someone else to be 100% sure. But really Stop, Drop, and Roll is the best place to post this... or General/Roadside assistance. Good luck man!

·
Registered
675 Posts
time to change brake? when did you changed your brake?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ya, sounds to me like brakes. Pretty common. Swap the pads. If that doesn't help you may need new rotors (or lathe the ones you have).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Squeeling noise from front passenger side...

2001 is300 has had this issue for about two months now. The noise can usually only be heard when going 10+mph. I doubt that it is related to the brakes / pads, as the sound is not affected when I apply / release the brakes. However, the squeeling / squeaking sound does seem to be related to the revolutions of the wheel - there is constant sound, but the faster I go, the faster the sound tends to occur. The noise definetly appears to be coming from the wheel area, though. My mechanic was also unsure, but maybe said it could be the wheel bearings / bushings. Any suggestions on diagnosing this issue? Thanks in advance for any help. :confused:

EDIT: Found a similiar post, but nothing was resolved. Here is a more in-depth description of the sound:

It can usually only be heard in excess of 10mph, and using the brakes does not change the pitch / tempo of the sound. Also, turning seems to have no effect on the sound. I have reconditioned my fan belt, and this is not the issue. If I am driving, switching into neutral does not affect the sound either, nor does an increase / decrease in rpms. Only the driving speed tends to effect the sound.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had this same problem, and it turned out to be wheel bearings. I also got a "thump thump thump" in accordance with the car's speed that you could hear inside the cabin, though.

Sometimes, the splash shield behind your rotor can get bent and rubs against your wheel, causing a noise like you described. Since wheel bearings are a pretty pricey fix, check this first and go from there.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
If its a wheel bearing you can test by listening and then turning sharp left then right.
If it get worse when you go left its the right wheel bearing, and it will get better when you cut Right, as the weight is transferred off that wheel.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
So if its not changing while turning, Its either a very bad Wheel bearing or something else.
Jack it up and feel if the bearing is lose. you may need to remove the pads to check it properly.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Its road speed related.
Check the tires, then rotate them, see if noise changes or goes to different corner.
check all 4 wheel bearings. This means take off the wheel and brake pads, check for looseness and roughness in the bearings.
Are you sure its from the front?? sometimes the noise travels, and you need to check the rear as well.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Why would it be bushings, it makes noise related to wheel speed, bushings would give you wear problems and clunking over bumps ( you can also hear loose wheel bearings over bumps )

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
I am having the same problem, a pulsating squealing noize that seems to be in my right rear wheel. I was thinking bearing too but haven't done pulled it apart yet.
i had a very similar issue.for a few weeks....my Left Rear wheel was making a pulsating scraping noise. after many hours and days of work...i found that the inner side of the rotor was rubbing on the hub for the parking brake assembly. take off your caliper and turn your rotor by hand and see if the noise appears. for me i had to grind alittle of the hub in ONE spot. kinda weird....but i have talked to others that had to do the same....especially with aftermarket rotors..

·
Registered
7 Posts
My car was squealing also, changed the rotors and pads (they needed it) squealing still remained. Had to change the wheel bearing fixed it. Mine got louder as you go faster and stops around the 10-15MPH mark. Inside with the windows up could barely hear it but the people looking at me as I drove down the rode I could tell it was loud. I changed mine my self got the bearing for the rock low price (timkin brand) from rockauto.com and the other parts from a lexus dealer. I just took the wheel spindle up to a local mechanic to have them press out the old one and press in the new one ($20), the rest was fairly easy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.