Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 IS300 with the 5-speed manual transmission. I keep getting a squeaking sound from the clutch (in time with the engine RPMs). It goes away if I press the clutch in even the slightest amount, but whenever the clutch is released the sound comes back. It is easiest to hear in idle when next to something (to reflect the sound back) but I've also heard it in 1st and 2nd in confined areas (like parking garages).

I've taken it in to Lexus to have it repaired several times but whenever I get my car back the noise is just quieter and then comes back within a week or two.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
FW

I have the same problem bro. It almost sounds like a spring type noise. I also have a 2002 5 speen manuel. It's always on the release of the clutch. I just found out what it's called but you can P.M. thedon who had a thread on this same problem.

I think the part is called pilot bearing. That's the part that's going bad. Do a search on this.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
same here...but my problem is that the noise started RIGHT AFTER the dealer installed a new clutch in my car...i brought it in for them to fix, the noise went away for one day, and then it came back again...

·
Registered
583 Posts
FW

My car is at Longo in El monte for this problem and for another noise coming from the gear box. The noise coming from the gear box sounds like a winding noise. You can first hear when first gear is winding up and through out second gear. In other words you can only hear it driving between 10 and 25 miles per hour. After you shift to third gear you can't hear it anymore.

The sound comes from the shifter but then it sounds like the noise radiates towards the back of the front passenger seat or somewhere behind the drivers right hand arm rest. Like where the rear passenger cup holder is. (in between the rear seats).

Don't know if I could explain this any better.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
hey my car is at longo right now for that problem too...it only started happening after they gave me a new clutch. they tried to fix it once, but the sound came back. so now they're fixing it again, and also decided to replace the master cylinder and hose (they replaced the slave cylinder too the last time they changed my clutch)

i should get my car back today, and hopefully the problem will be gone...

·
Registered
583 Posts
WiLz said:
hey my car is at longo right now for that problem too...it only started happening after they gave me a new clutch. they tried to fix it once, but the sound came back. so now they're fixing it again, and also decided to replace the master cylinder and hose (they replaced the slave cylinder too the last time they changed my clutch)

Sup Wilz! Yeah I remember seeing you're car there a while back.

As for the noise, was it like a very low grinding noise that you were hearing? I mean to hear it in my car you'de have to have the windows up and the radio off to hear it. I tried calling Ray last night to explain to him what I was hearing.

Plus my clutch pedal has a spring noise on the release of it that happends every now and then..

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
J.R. said:
WiLz said:

Sup Wilz! Yeah I remember seeing you're car there a while back.

As for the noise, was it like a very low grinding noise that you were hearing? I mean to hear it in my car you'de have to have the windows up and the radio off to hear it. I tried calling Ray last night to explain to him what I was hearing.

Plus my clutch pedal has a spring noise on the release of it that happends every now and then..
i dunno how to describe the noise...it sorta a screeching noise, and is only there when the clutch pedal is all the way up. it can be heard very clearly from outside the car, and somewhat from inside the car.

as for the dealer, they didnt have my car done today...so i'll let you guys know when i do get it back.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
ok, so i finally got my car back from lexus today. here is how the invoice goes:

CONCERN 51 CLICKING NOISE FROM CLUTCH WHEN PEDAL IS RELEASED

CAUSE PILOT BEARING WORN
CORRECTION REPLACED PILOT BEARING AND LUBRICATED SHAFT
i dont see how the pilot bearing can be worn since the sound started right after they gave me a new clutch and flywheel assembly...but the squeeking noise is gone...

then besides that they added this to the invoice (i didnt ask them to do this, but they said that Lexus wanted them to do it for me):

CONCERN 52 FLUID LEAKING UNDER CAR

CAUSE SEAL LOST TENSION.
CORRECTION REPLACED MASTER CYLINDER AND FRONT CLUTCH HOSE
all this is done after they replaced my clutch and flywheel, and also slave cylinder, the previous time i brought my car in for clutch problems...so now finally my clutch is working fine, and not making random noises.

however, the clutch does feel VERY different...its stiffer, and the release point is higher than the last time they gave me back my car...need to get used to it again...

one other problem, i think the dealer did a bad job of putting my exhaust back on, and now it sounds slightly louder than it did before, and the exhaust tip is off centered (VERY)...should i go back and ask them to adjust it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts