Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

LeftLaneNews said:
Our previous attempts at capturing the upcoming 2011 VW Phaeton flagship sedan were foiled by camouflage, but our most recent photos show the Phaeton in its full glory. Our spy photographers managed to capture this hulking sedan in the midst of a late night VW photoshoot.
As you can tell from our most recent photos, compared to the current European model, the next Phaeton will get a new front bumper, grille and headlight-units. In back, changes appear limited to slightly re-designed taillamps. Although no major departure from previous design language is present, it does get a touch-up in virtually every areas.
There were rumors of a large V10 TDi motor for the Phaeton, but so far we don’t have any solid evidence of that.
Although the Phaeton’s main testing has taken place on European soil, it remains possible that the refreshed sedan could wind up in U.S. showrooms. VW executives are said to be keen on the Phaeton’s return to the U.S. market as the revised version of the car has seen tremendous sales success in the European market.
The VW Phaeton was last sold in the U.S. for the 2006 model year but VW was forced to pull the plug on the Phaeton after the U.S. market failed to embrace a $60,000+ VW model, selling only a couple thousand units in two years.
VW has said that the next Phaeton would ride on a slightly shorter platform than the Audi A8, and will have a price tag around $55,000.
2011 VW Phaeton spied without camo!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Subtle changes are subtle. I would call this more of a face lift than a new model.
Agree, looks nice. Very similar to last model.

·
27,116 Posts
Yup... the exterior changes are very subtle. Are they gonna give this car another shot in North America?

They Phaeton was a really nice car... to bad it suffers from badge issues.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
meh... it will be another very impressive car, that will go totally overlooked by the general public due to the VW badge on the front.

I'm more interested in the strange hoist setup they have going there, the main arm appears to be clear. wonder why they would need to lift it for pictures?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
there beautiful cars but like lextech said, because its a v-dub stubborn ass americans will overlook it thinking that $55,000 is to expensive for volkswagen

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I'm really surprised they're continuing production considering the low sales numbers and horrible resale value. On the plus side, that means used Phateons will probably drop in value even more. What other 4yr old $80k car can you buy for $20k or less?

·
27,116 Posts
^^^^ See... that's the problem... people just can't get over it's connection with much cheaper and "normal" Volkswagen offers. Sucks since the cars is actually technically great.

But what was VW thinking selling this car under their badge???

Imagine in the same dealership you could buy a ultra-luxury vehicle... or a little econobox for teenagers to buy. It just doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I don't see the point of this...they already have a good player in this space under the Audi brand. Why bother developing a hideous car that will face very tough competition and do poorly in sales?

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

AutoBlog said:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. And then again. That could very well sum up Volkswagen's strategy with its quizzical Phaeton. The flagship sedan – which took "the people's car" up-market into Mercedes S-Class territory – was introduced in 2003, then underwent a facelift in 2009 and has now undergone yet another.

The most immediately evident change is the new front end, bearing LED running lights and the brand's ubiquitous new grille. But that's not the end of the changes to the Phaeton for MY2011. As befits a car in this category, the Phaeton comes packed with tech, including Google Maps-enabled sat-nav, variable headlights, road sign recognition and a four-zone climate control system, all interconnected by some two miles worth of cable.

Buyers can choose from standard wheelbase or long, four (adjustable) seats or five, four engines (diesel six and gasoline six, eight or twelve)... the list goes on, but they're all driven through VW's 4Motion all-wheel drive system. Most pertinently, the new Phaeton is anticipated to mark the model's return to the North American market to take on another humble-badged full-size luxury sedan in the Hyundai Equus, never mind the Mercedes S-Class, BMW 7 Series, Audi A8, Jaguar XJ, Lexus LS...well, you get the point.
Third Time's a Charm: Volkswagen unveils 2011 Phaeton in Beijing — Autoblog

·
27,116 Posts
I am am wondering what age this is geared towards. 25-35? i am guessing youn businessman but for 55k you can get a BMW 5 series or a Mercedes E350 sedan nicely optioned.
What type of 25 year old can afford a Phaeton?!?!?!!

This is an Audi A8 level of vehicle!

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What type of 25 year old can afford a Phaeton?!?!?!!

This is an Audi A8 level of vehicle!
What is VW expecting? For people to buy a Phaeton and then move up to an A8?

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First Details On Next-Gen Volkswagen Phaeton, U.S. Market Crucial

MotorAuthority said:
The Phaeton flagship sedan may have been a major flop for Volkswagen but officials are keen for a launch of a successor. The car was priced similarly to BMWs and Audis but it wore a humble VW badge, and there was nothing particularly exciting or innovative about it either. It had mundane styling, poor dynamics and a much heavier chassis than its Audi A8 cousin--need we go on.
Yes, by all accounts, the Phaeton was a flop and nowhere did it perform more badly than in the U.S. where the decision to drop the car came just two years after launch. Since going on sale back in 2003, VW managed to find a local home for just 3,354 cars in total, but despite the poor result the automaker is considering bringing the next-generation Phaeton to the U.S.
A significantly refreshed version (pictured) will go on sale in Europe later this year, however, the car destined for a U.S. return will most likely be an all-new model.
For the next-generation Phaeton, VW won’t be so ambitious. Instead of targeting the likes of the 7-Series and A8, and their respective European buyers, VW will be going after American and Chinese buyers. This means the Phaeton will be growing in size, and it’s styling will also be made more flamboyant.
A platform change is also on the cards, with the current Audi A6’s underpinnings likely making the cut. The engine lineup will most likely be trimmed, with the V-6 and V-8 units remaining and a new hybrid option being added, the same from the 2012 Touareg Hybrid. Gone will be the W-12 monster and V-10 TDI units.
Whatever the outcome, don't expect to see the new Phaeton in showrooms for at least a couple of years.

First Details On Next-Gen Volkswagen Phaeton, U.S. Market Crucial - MotorAuthority

·
Jew
25,468 Posts
My GOD that's a sweet car. If I was in the market for a large luxo sedan... this is the only one I would consider. I love that it's understated, and I love that it's a VW.

And to this day... the original Phaeton W12 has the most comfortable back seat I have ever sat in. And that includes the Maybach.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts