Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice rainy weekend in Seattle. I accidentally spun out my IS300 while entering an onramp. Luckily I didn't hurt anything. The spin out killed my engine and I had to restart. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I assume you had TRAC off and goosed it hard while in a turn? I guess this is why they say the IS300 has snap oversteer?

Originally posted by Watcher:
Nice rainy weekend in Seattle. I accidentally spun out my IS300 while entering an onramp. Luckily I didn't hurt anything. The spin out killed my engine and I had to restart. Is this normal?

·
Registered
511 Posts
My guess is you were going to fast, turned and lifted off the throttle. The first thing they teach you at driver's schools is slow in, fast out.

·
Registered
727 Posts
C&D has a nice article on the reasons why you shouldn't brake while turning. It basically reduces your lateral grip if you try to stop in the middle of a curve. It's better to brake before going into a curve and then powering out.

·
11,061 Posts
How the he** did you manage that? I was out in the rain too...and on I-5, but geeze, gotta take it easy out there. This is the first hard rain we've had in a long time and the grease just rose to the surface of the roads.

------------------
'01 SBM, Black Leather - LSD - 17" Graphite Wheels - Loaded (minus moon roof)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Chiphead, you are exactly right..

brake in a straightline, turn in and get on the accelerator through the apex. My first spin on the track was due to lingering too long on the brakes entering an off-camber corner (road leaning away from the turn). There was nothing I could do once it started to come around. If I had got back on the throttle before it started to come around I wouldn't have spun at all. Braking or lifting off shifts the weight to the front and the rear wheels loose grip.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Trailing throttle oversteer, the situation that S38 describes is probably the most common scenario in the dry. In the wet, though, power oversteer is also a real danger. If you put on too MUCH gas at the apex in the wet, you can all too easily lose your tail. It happened to me in turn 3 at Laguna Seca in the rain. And it wasn't a whole lot of gas...but in the rain you just have to be gentle and smooth with all of your inputs...the gas, the brakes, and the steering.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
A lot of what applies in dry road conditions is completely different once it becomes wet. You have to be more deliberate in all aspects of driving; braking, accelerating, steering. If deliberate means applying less of each, then that's what you have to do.

Let's just say you learned a scary lesson to determine the limits of your cars wet condition handling. Remember this event and note it in your "race" log, so that it doesn't happen again. And if it does happen again, you'll know how to handle it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts