Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just started noticing that my springs are popping in the rear i have koni's and hr's and especially when i turn i can hear them popping in the rear...........i have had them on for about 2 months and never noticed it before. what do you guys think it could be.. i recently installed both a rear and front strut bar and the bolts were a bitch to take off i don't know if that is affecting it at all and they need to get retorqued ..thanks guys, again any help is great

·
Registered
3 Posts
springs popping

I'm not sure if this helps but I recently had the same problem with my L-tuned springs and bars, intalled by the dealership. I had to take it back twice for the noise. The final time they adjusted them, they said that they didn't use locking nuts. So in short the nuts were backing out causing the popping noise.

·
Registered
198 Posts
How loud/violent is the popping?

Not sure what bs the dealer was pushing off with the locking nut thing but you put the suspension back together exactly as taken apart so there are no nuts to replace. The nut that connects the lower install point for the rear strut tower is locking as original.

The nut in the center of the rear support (it goes directly into the center of the cartridge piston) should be torqued to 28 Nm / 21 ft.lbs. It can be difficult to tighten if the piston turns as you try to tighten it. If this happens you need a hex wrench and an open end wrench to tighten it.

But really with the spring loaded into the assembly it produces the tension that would prevent much of any movement.

Have you measured ride height at the corners? Maybe one of the springs is not seated in it's perch correctly.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Mine were making a similar noise. There are plastic caps on the top of the yellow section of the Koni's. One of my caps cracked and was bouncing about on top of the shock. It then fell out when I jacked the car up and the suspension bottomed out. That was a few months ago. Last week I yanked the other side plastic cap off because it was cracked. These caps were on the front shocks.

Here is a pic of the plastic cap I am talking about...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's a weird sound like the spring is settling when you turn, but i haven't heard it since saturday i haven't had alignment done at all to the vehicle i was told i didn't need to and the camber wasn't that off. It might be those plastic caps on the koni's i'll see if it keeps it up or not, i haven't had anyone ride in the back until thursday when better than ezra was in the back of the car ...yeah we all went drinking and since then when i had all those people in the car it has stopped :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
hmm...dunno bout the caps. I'm rollin the factory shocks.

I do know that you probably need an alignment. At the very least get your ride put up on the alignment machine and get the measurements taken to be sure it's in spec. It's more then just the camber that needs attention after doing the springs. Since you basically disassemble a good part of the suspension having it go back together in exactly the same geometry is pretty unlikely.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Interesting you should bring it up. I have H&R/Tokico setup. All my 4 of my springs make a "clunk" when crusing over small changes in the road. Im sure the noise doesnt go away at high speed, but it isnt as noticable. Ive heard this is a common problem when using H&R Springs. Some people put a piece of silicone hose around the top part of the strut to help absorb some of the noise. Ive gotten used to it so it doesnt bother me as much anymore. Hope this helps.

Luke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts