Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I installed new OEM KYB shocks on the front along with new lower ball joints. All was good for a few weeks then I started getting a creaking noise on drivers side when taking off from a stop. Pulled it back apart last weekend and noticed the shock spring is moving a little on the lower perch. ( can see where it has been scraping where the lower perch stop is ) Everthing torqued to spec - why would the spring be shifting?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is in the correct position. The end of the spring is right in the stop. Second time I had it apart I put a new top hat on it. ( originally just reused the old one. Looks like it is moving about 1/4-1/2 inch back and forth scraping right where it stops in the lower cradle?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to tighten the top shock nut tonight to see if it makes any difference. ( all-purpose suspension noise thread on this site ) says to make the top nut as tight as possible. Spec calls for 35lb. But that seems pretty week to me. Perhaps the spring has compressed a little over time causing it to not stay firmly situated in the upper and lower seats! Maybe tightening the top nut could make a difference in the slack.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just checking: are you tightening the top nut with load on the suspension? Also make sure you have your mounts and spring seats oriented correctly.

I just did my suspension with new KYB struts and mounts, and have not had any issues.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not had it aligned. It seems to track straight. Could being out of alignment cause the spring to Move in the lower cradle when I take off from a stop?

·
Registered
107 Posts
You definitely need an alignment after doing suspension work, but I don't think that would cause your noise, but I could be wrong. Doesn't hurt to get it done.

How about the strut mount orientation, did you position it so the arrows were pointing out?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I marked the original top plate, and fender with paint so I knew how to reinstall. The new top hat I just matched the arrows with how the original was. What is the reasoning for the alignment of the top plate anyway. It looks completely symetrical, and the bushing rotates however you want it. I cannot remember which way the two arrows were pointing. You said they point out towards the wheel?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe the two arrows, and my paint mark point towards the front corner of the car. Drivers side would be drivers front corner.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I've never taken the stock shocks and springs apart, but I'm guessing that tightening the top-center nut could preload the spring. When the spring is properly seated, try tightening the nut with an impact wrench for a couple seconds.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It sounds like you've done everything right.

I did some searching and see this issue is fairly common after a strut install. A lot of different results but it may just be a bad mount.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked the top nut ( which I torqued I believe to 35 lbs. at reinstall ) it seems as tight as it wants to go so I will not force it. I also looked at the old mount, and the other new one I have. ( used the old one on the passenger-side ) They look symetrical everywhich way I look at it. Same with the middle hole. On the new ones you can turn the middle hole anyway you want. Sure I installed the new mount the right way. No damn well the old one was cause I marked it with paint before I removed it. I am wondering maybe the new KYB shock itself is bad. Bounced it up and down, and it sounds ok. Did not have any noise for about 2 - 3 weeks after the install.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trying to post a video of the sound, but says I am missing a security token? Do I have to upgrade my membership to upload a video?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Trying to post a video of the sound, but says I am missing a security token? Do I have to upgrade my membership to upload a video?
upload the video to photobucket or a similar site, and then post the video. Also, do NOT use an impact wrench on the center nut. I used one on that nut on my coilovers, but the manual says to not use one on the stock shocks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks that is very kind of you. I am going to drop it by another shop tomorrow to see if they can find what is wrong. Really getting tired of messing with it :frown2: I will post when I here from them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well finally gave up after removing the driverside shock, and making sure everything was aligned correctly. Put it all back together ( again ) and the sound was even getting worse. Broke down, and took it to my other mechanic ( Danny's auto service napa Topeka, KS ) he figured it out. Although lower control arm bushing looked fine and not torn it was the culprit. Replaced and car is absolutely silent. Cost me some money, but I do not care it is fixed. :grin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts