Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide between Eibach (not enough drop to make any visual difference), Tein (seem too inexpensive to be of the same quality as sets costing much more), and HKS (great springs from a great company, but a 2" drop + hiper exhaust = possible serious bottoming out tragedy!).

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
MSM MT IS300 said:
I can't decide between Eibach (not enough drop to make any visual difference), Tein (seem too inexpensive to be of the same quality as sets costing much more), and HKS (great springs from a great company, but a 2" drop + hiper exhaust = possible serious bottoming out tragedy!).
Eibachs or Teins will give you almost a 1.5 drop after settling. Is that not enough? You just said 2 is too low.

BTW: It is SCRAPING, not bottoming out. There IS a difference.

edit: if you are concerned about getting the exact height you want, you could always get coilovers...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
irv_usc said:
BTW: It is SCRAPING, not bottoming out. There IS a difference
i agree, and after having a lowered accord, i'm not too nervous about the occasional scrape--i am well versed in the subtle art of angling a lowered car over speed bumps and driveways... it is the complete bottoming out of the oilpan and underside in general that i am worried about. looking at the stock height, and the distance form the fender to the, tire 2 inches doesn't seem too bad. but i don't own the exhaust yet and have been told that the hiper can hangs very low. the eibach pix i've seen on .net (on 18's no less) still have such a wheel gap, something i want to get rid of.

i guess what i want is a car with almost no wheel gap, very european in look AND in feel. i don't think the eibachs can offer that, what about H&R springs?

·
Registered
513 Posts
i don't think you're going to get a european look with stock 17"s and a 2" (H&R) drop (even 1.5" for that matter imo). it's not going to look natural, it's going to look lowered (body too big/low for wheels). you need bigger wheels to fill out the wheel wells if you want that natural, no wheel gap "european" (reads bmw) look.

MSM MT IS300 said:
irv_usc said:
BTW: It is SCRAPING, not bottoming out. There IS a difference

i guess what i want is a car with almost no wheel gap, very european in look AND in feel. i don't think the eibachs can offer that, what about H&R springs?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hoss said:
i don't think you're going to get a european look with stock 17"s and a 2" (H&R) drop

you think? i know porsche now uses 18's on everything, what does the m3 come with? i think by eliminating all but just a finger or so of wheel gap (not tucked!!) would look sharp on 17's. especially since they are a silver that matches the silver of the car so well.

if only i could see somebody with stock wheels lowered on hks!

·
Registered
513 Posts
MSM MT IS300 said:
hoss said:
i don't think you're going to get a european look with stock 17"s and a 2" (H&R) drop

you think? i know porsche now uses 18's on everything, what does the m3 come with? i think by eliminating all but just a finger or so of wheel gap (not tucked!!) would look sharp on 17's. especially since they are a silver that matches the silver of the car so well.

if only i could see somebody with stock wheels lowered on hks!

Well, it's hard to compare with different makes because they're all shaped differently. Here are some examples of different springs on stock 17"s though: http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13314826&highlight=tein+pics

IMO, it just seems like the body is way too big for the stock 17"s if lowered too much. Not as much from the profile but from the rear angle you can see the body just drape over the wheels. That's what turned me away from Teins even though everyone seems to love them (although, I haven't seen them in person so maybe it'd be different, kinda hard to tell from pics sometimes).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
hoss
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing