Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a spring / strut installation at home?

I tried last night and felt like I was gonna die. So many things went wrong and I jus gave up.

Any tips?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Well, where did you get stuck? i did the springs myself, so post up what went wrong. I'll tell you right now, the front was a breeze to do,,but the rear, a different story, it was a bitchhh tryin to remove the whole strut assembly from the car, i had to take the caliper and rotor off to make more clearance, there has to be an easier way of doing things for the rear.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got stuck on the front ones, Everything was seized and I didnt have much room to work with.

Did you use air tools?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Really? i used hand tools, as i dont have a compressor at my house, so it took longer, but it was for free so.

id suggest you use a penetrating lubricant and spray it on the bolts/nuts and let it sit for a bit before you attempt to loosen them again. I always spray some stuff on there just in case. Besides that, they would slide out pretty easy...

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
redline... I have a tip for you... GET SOMEBODY ELSE TO DO IT!

There comes a point where if a professional can do it for the same price as it would cost you to do it yourself (including effort)... then just let them do it. Motor Workshop installs springs for $150 including tax... and they'll do it in an hour!

Before I got my springs installed... the guy warned me about stuck bolts. He said things could be seized... and that things could break... and he wanted me to understand that before I gave him the car. Luckily everything came apart easily.

In regards to the seized bolts tho... think about it... those things have been locked in place for 8 years! It's obviously going to take effort to get them apart.

How come you didn't get somebody at work to do it for ya?

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried that, I even let the WD40 sit and soak in for 30 mins.

Ye I thought everything would slide out easy too but what ever.

Im just gonna take it into Toyota Monday and let them do it.

$35 an hour labour !! =)

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Well, where did you get stuck? i did the springs myself, so post up what went wrong. I'll tell you right now, the front was a breeze to do,,but the rear, a different story, it was a bitchhh tryin to remove the whole strut assembly from the car, i had to take the caliper and rotor off to make more clearance, there has to be an easier way of doing things for the rear.
Took off the rotors? Wow! When they did my car they were able to wiggle the shock out while just unbolting the outer edge of the lower control arm.

About the rears... I saw one guy unbolt the lower control arm on the inner edge (by the diff)... and the the shock seemed to come out MUCH easier.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was gonna do it at work, but I just dont get the shop time. Im always busy and none of the techs wanna work on a lexus for free.

They say its "Just too much work compared to working on Toyotas"

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
redline... goto MotorWorkshop.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ye, Ill check them out, I was also thinking about checkin out bullock city.

Thx for the info.

Gosh I hate payin to get something done lol.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
You can try it yourself... but you are having difficulties with the seized bolts right? So just take it to somebody who has the tools to do it quickly... and you'll be done in an hour.

Look at the guys while they are doing it to learn how it's done. That way if you need to change your shocks later on... you'll know what to do.

For this... goto MotorWorkshop instead of Bullock City. Bullock City isn't overly fond of doing "custom" work... and would rather do "maintenance/service".

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
O okay, didnt kno bullock city was like that.

Im assuming that I have to make an appointment? Monday is my only day off and everywhere is closed today =(

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
lol... Bullock City could do it... but I think he got annoyed with some people who were overly anal. "ooooooOOOOOOOOhhhh... I see a tiny paint chip on my caliper!!! Buy me a new car!!!"

I remember one time when I saw some guy who wanted a noise in his suspension fixed which was caused by a lowering spring. And I think Andy was unhappy with the fact that the guy brought in parts from God-knows-where... with God-knows-what quality asks him to put them on the car... and then expects Andy to take liability for the performance of the part.

Bullock City is a great garage... and they are fully capable of installing custom parts. They installed my Stainless Steel brake lines and sway bars... I've seen them install carbon fibre body panels... and even a supercharger for somebody here with a GS300.

But I think it comes down to liabilities and hassles... and him not wanting to take responsibility for parts that he has no idea where they came from. He wants to be taken seriously as a Lexus/Toyota/Honda dealer alternative... and thus wants to do things properly. He will do custom work... but he's doing it more as a favour than anything else.

So that being said... goto MotorWorkshop for this. It's a small garage... essentially one head mechanic and helpers. But they've done a bunch of IS300's... so they know what they are doing. Give them a call... and ask if you can come in. One thing tho... I'm pretty sure he's gonna wanna have your car early in the morning. The reason for this is that he wants time to work on your car if something doesn't go as planned (ie. seized bolts).

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So now since I put everything back, Im hearing a metal thumping noise coming from my driver side (felt a lil vibration right near my pedals)

I hear it when ever I go over any bumpy surface at 15km+ If I just let the car roll over it, I dont hear it at all.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Andy can do the work. He just doesn't prefer to do it. When he does do it, it is usually out of favor for us. That being said, I don't usually like to go there for anything aftermarket since I don't want to be a bother. I know its inconvenient for him, so I won't go to him unless hes willing to do it, or I have no other option.

Redline what springs did u get?

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tein s-tech

sjdksadj this sound is pissing me off and I cant see to put my finger on it.

Think I might need a little grease..

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Is everything tightened back properly?

What did you do with the bumpstops? Did you use the OEM ones? Did you put new bumpstops on top of the metal pieces that the OEM ones came with? Maybe that's clanging around?

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didnt even get the strut out of the car, All I did was loosen the top 3 bolts and the bottom 17mm bolt, I did manage to get that bolt out.

I didnt do anything else.
I put everything back in the way I got it and torqued it all down.

The sound im hearing now sounds like my sway bar is hitting something.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Check to see if there's anything obvious loose... otherwise don't worry about it. You're going to get the springs put on in the next day or so anyways.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nope, nothing is loose. I just hope it goes away when the new springs are installed. If not imma prolly go crazy with that noise.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts