Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all:)

Me and my wife are driving north for Christmas (where our families live), and the trip is 1755 km (1090 miles) long, meaning we will be spending some 24+ hours on the road.
This is the route.
We will try to alternate on the driving so that we won't have to make a stop at a hotel overnight unless we see it to be necessary.

Now, I've only had my IS200 SportCross for a month and I haven't done any proper road-trips in it yet. Are there certain things I should be prepared for or certain things I need to pay attention to when on such a long trip with this car?

Also, even though I've driven this stretch several times up and down during summer, winter driving is different, and I don't want to take any chances. The temperature is likely to stay around -10 to -20 degrees Celsius (14 to -4 degrees Fahrenheit). How does the car perform over long periods of time at these temperatures?
I have spiked Continentals on all four wheels, by the way, as one should:)

The speed limit through most of Sweden (along the E4 on the east coast) is 100 and 110 km/h (60-68 mph). I've noticed that the IS200 is rather short on gears. It's sits at around 3000 rpm at 100 km/h in 6th gear, which is what my old 75 hp Corolla did in 5th gear. What speed would be ideal for fuel-efficiency? Also, what is the normal displayed fuel consumption for the IS200 at these speeds? If there's a malfunction to my car that I don't know about that makes me use more fuel than necessary, I'd wanna know ;)

Best regards
Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
That sounds like a super awesome road trip. I can't offer any real advice 'cuz I've never driven that long in that kind of weather. Sounds like you have the right tires. Regarding fuel economy, with both my wife's SportX (IS300) and my RX-8 I've achieved the best fuel economy cruising at around 100km/h (inadvertently found out on a trip thru Canada). Have a safe drive and post some photos when you're back!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll definitely try to take some pictures:) Thanks:)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tomorrow is the big day! :D
Managed to pack the christmas presents underneath the fake floor:

One more suitcase is going in, and then the car will be full.

I've also bought two bags of windshield-washer fluid because the Swedish highways are dirty and probably wet. In the spare-wheel well, I've put a tow-rope, jumper-cables and cargo-straps.
In the back seat, I've put a 12V cooler on the left-hand side and a duvet and a pillow on the right. The thought is that whoever is sleeping can sit in the back seat with legs on a folded down front passenger seat.
Man, why does this stuff excite me? Everything from thinking about what might go wrong and adding tools to solve those situations, to playing Tetris with the luggage in the back is something I enjoy doing:p

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Passing into Sweden at sunrise

Chill passenger-position

The ice has shrunken my front intake area! :jawDrop:

How thick this shit gets... At least it makes me invisible to speed-cameras!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

-23°C = -9.4°F

·
Registered
72 Posts
Super-"cool"! You saw the polarlights up there? They should be amaizing this year.

Hows the SX handling the snow? My (euro-)SX is full of controll-systems that doesn't allow me to drive accurate under slippy conditions.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Super-"cool"! You saw the polarlights up there? They should be amaizing this year.

Hows the SX handling the snow? My (euro-)SX is full of controll-systems that doesn't allow me to drive accurate under slippy conditions.
The Polar Lights/Aurora Borealis aren't usually there untill January/February when the cold really sets in. Also, they are a bitch to photograph without proper equipment :p

It handles great, once you get used to it being RWD and taking care whenever you're accelerating in a bend. The only control-systems I have are traction control (which I can turn off, but I'd rather not) and Snow-mode, which softens the throttle-response, making the pedal travel further for the same amount of throttle as with the button off.
I guess only the 2JZ-model with auto transmission got VSC/stability control.

If I'm just playing around, however, I turn the traction and snow-buttons off ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can anyone say rear fog-lights?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Got two pairs of cross-country skis on the roof now. The holders are stuck to the roof by magnetism (thoroughly cleaned and dried those parts of the roof before attaching them).
Hoping to get some proper roof rails or roof bars soon.

Can anyone say rear fog-lights?

Left-front wheel:
Somehow these icy things don't fall off!

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Nice thread! Wow, quite a road trip! How was everything overall? What kind of tires you using? You should paint match your mud guards! =)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice thread! Wow, quite a road trip! How was everything overall? What kind of tires you using? You should paint match your mud guards! =)
Lol, yeah people tell me to paint-match my mudguards everywhere on this forum. I guess I'm gonna have to succumb to the pressure:p

Overall, the trip was awesome. Really do miss having a cruise-control, though, since my right leg HATES staying in the same position for too long. On the way up I used 10 liters of fuel pr. 100 km (23,5 miles pr. gallon), while I managed to get the consumption down to 8 l/100 km (29,4 miles pr. gallon) on the way down (with much more luggage). Quite happy with that.

Here's all the stuff I managed to cram into the IS on the way down in addition to myself and my wife:

Everything, minus the table. The car was absolutely packed.
In addition, it had the cross-country skis on the roof.

My winter tires are 205/55 R16 Continental Conti Ice Contact tires with studs, but my winter rims have probably seen better days:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Btw, I love how your SportX sits, sway162. What's the lowering stats on your car, and how does it affect the ride?

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Thanks Daniel.....I am lowered about 2" all around.

Megans Racing springs with Tokico HP shocks. I love the way it rides, but I also have upgraded sway bars and a rear strut bar so I know those two plays a huge role in handling. As for feel though, you definitely feel more of the road. You lose that comfort OEM feel but in my opinion the ride is much sportier and enjoyable to drive. I can sacrifice some of the comfort OEM feel for a sportier ride. The sways is what makes the drive fun though. I think the combo I have now overall has pleased me. I've been on this set-up for a while now with no complaints.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts