Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am driving along this morning and I see a white Protege'5 in a parking lot and I just happened to have my digital camera in the car so here it is... Side By Side:

So yeah, there are some similarities but they are definitely different cars and after seeing them together myself, I realized how tiny that Mazda is.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I HATE THE F***IN FACT THAT EVERYONE THINKS THE SPORTCROSS IS A MAZDA PROTEGE :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Great post, tex!

I think the Protege 5 (now discontinued) is a cute little economy wagon and I think the Sportcross is a sexy sport wagon.

The Mazda P5's are being firesaled right now $5000 below MSRP and are a bargain at that price.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
nocturnal_streetracer said:
I HATE THE F***IN FACT THAT EVERYONE THINKS THE SPORTCROSS IS A MAZDA PROTEGE :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching: :pissed: :bitching:
:lol: yo bro :chill:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey fellow look alikes :)
We at the Protege5 forum just wanted to say, cool pics.
And agree with some of the thoughts here, but we each love our cars for what it brings to our personalities.

And that least I personally don't like it when people think my car is a SportCross. Nothing againts the car, but its just one of those things :wink:

·
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoa, my pics have transversed to another forum. That's kinda cool.
I guess it's a good thing I blurred out the liscense plates. :lol:

Now I am keeping my eyes peeled for a white Mazda 6 wagon to add. Well, whenever that comes out anyway.

Howdy to the Protege5 peeps. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually there is a Mazda6 wagon coming out though probably just in Europe.

Don't worry though no one else will mistaken our cars, since the Mazda3 looks nothing like either the P5 or SportCross. :(

*waves back at other Wagon owners*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is a interesting question:
What about the Protege5 do you like/dislikes:

Course for me the question would be, what on the SportCross do I like:

Like:
Front-Like the budge in the hood, and the headlights more
Side-Like the Window structure how it seems "thinner" than the P5's
Rear-Like the wider rear window and the exhaust :)

Dislike-
Front-The foglights and lower lip
Side-How long the rear stretches out
Rear-Standard "Lexus" style lights in the trunk lid area. And the shape of the taillights.

Haven't had a chance to look inside a SportCross to compare interior accents and such.

1 Thing I would love from the SportCross on a P5 is the HP. We got jiffed when the P5 was bought over to the US. No more AWD, no more 180 hp (n/a) :whine:

·
Registered
3 Posts
How's it goin SportCross owners? Another Protege5 owner here. Just wanted to say that I think both cars look sharp. I didn't realize the difference in size between the two makes/ models. Good Comparison photo!

I think the Protege 5 (now discontinued) is a cute little economy wagon
While the Protege5 does get good mileage, it still have a "wolf in sheep's clothing" personality. Yes, the Protege5 is HP challenged, but the Proteges forte has always been handling. As a matter of fact, I believe the Protege5 had a 70+MPH slalom....and matching a Porsche 996 through the slalom. So there is definitely plenty of "sport" in the Protege5. We just get good mileage to boot!

Anyways, we have plenty of love for the Sport Wagon crowd. Peace!

·
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok folks, lets not get excited here. They're both great cars. I have driven both.
The main motivator for me choosing the SportX over the Protege5 wasn't about horsepower, looks or slalom speed.
For me, the DEALER EXPERIENCE was the clincher. I have worked for Mazda dealers and I have worked for Mazda Corporate so I know what I can expect from Mazda.
This is my first Lexus and I must say, after 8 months of ownership, Lexus has treated my like a KING. I didn't actually know that this kind of manufacturer/dealer to customer relationship existed in the industry.

So now, I am spoiled I guess. 8)

To anyone from the Protege5 forum that stops by, I do think that the Protege5 is a great car and I know that is reacts well to FI. I'm sure there's more than a few modded 5s that will spank my stock SportX nine ways to Sunday. So lets all enjoy our cars for what they are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
True, guess I got lucky with my dealership in that they were really polite, timely and friendly. They did not even care that at the last moment when I went to pick my car up, that I changed my mind for another car and year.
Next day the paper work was all redone and picked the car up.

But have seen some chitty dealerships from all companies. :(

·
Registered
493 Posts
The most satisfying sports sedans/wagons IMHO are RWD or AWD and have more than 4 cylinders. 4 bangers with FWD and open diffs don't do much for me anymore. I would spend a little more and get a AWD WRX Wagon which are selling at invoice now.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ya i bought the IS300 when i moved to FL. So I definitely want to stick with RWD cars.

jmess said:
The most satisfying sports sedans/wagons IMHO are RWD or AWD and have more than 4 cylinders. 4 bangers with FWD and open diffs don't do much for me anymore. I would spend a little more and get a AWD WRX Wagon which are selling at invoice now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.