Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished making the mounting board for my 02 sportx. The amp, cap, and all wiring will be completely hidden and only the box will be visible when completed.
The board is 14" in diameter and cut from 3/4" plywood. 17 1" holes were drilled to aid in cooling the amp, but every time I open the hatch that area is very cool anyway.
The amp is flush with the rest of the tool tray.
Tell me what you think...

·
2,412 Posts
That looks good. I don't think it's going to be cool enough though once you cover it all up. Where will the heat escape to?
Since the space under the amp is dead air with no circulation, are you sure it'll help with cooling?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well there is about 3-4" of space above the amp as well. The entire bottom is a false bottom, so that 3-4" extends all the way to the sides of the car. That seems like a lot of space for the heat to dissipate to. I may install a small computer fan under or off to the side to keep air moving.

·
Registered
126 Posts
dont worry i placed amy ppi 2600 amp in the same place and i run that baby 3/4 power on the normal and it never overheated once. it's surprisingly cool down there and that amp is a whopper.

and it doesnt make any noise at all

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oopps. Just realized the spare goes under the tray. Are you going to use connectors on the amp wirring to allow the removal of the tray in case of a flat? I guess you could just move the amp and mounting board into the luggage area when access to the spare is necessary. If it were me, I'd need access to the spare when the rear is fully loaded and it's raining outside, thus precluding putting stuff on the ground outside the car.
Anyways, looks like a fine job. The stock amp works fine for me though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to coil a bit of extra power cable under the amp, and a bit of extra RCA lead in a side compartment so i can lift the whole thing out in case of a flat. Here in Socal most times your better off calling AAA, changing a flat in 80 mph traffic isnt my idea of fun.
It should look boring as hell when Im finished. I want it all to just blend in with the car. The last thing i want is people to pass by my car and see a nice sub in the back.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I drove all the way to Vegas (8hours with traffic 5 without) with the stereo playing loudly the entire time. I pulled off for gas after 6 hours and reached in to see if the amp was heating up. It was barely warm....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts