Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were on our way to San Diego (from LA) last week. Right around the San Juan Capistrano area on the 405/5 a white Jetta wagon whizzes by me weaving in and out of traffic. Since the wife was asleep I decide to give chase :D. He spots me and tries to lose me by weaving in and out of traffic. I didn't want to get to crazy but I also wanted to stay with him and wait for some open road. Finally we hit that stretch of freeway in San Onofre where it opens up. He guns it and I let him go about 6 to 8 car lengths ahead then I drop to fourth gear (going 80-85mph) and step on the gas pedal and reach 120mph. I catch up to him and get in front but I slowed down enough to give him some hope. He is about two car lengths behind me now and we are going about 95-100 tops. By this time the freeway was really open and a long gentle curve is up ahead. I decided to showcase the SportX's top end acceleration so I drop to fourth and gun it -- I reach 120-125 and white Jetta wagon didn't want to play any more. I was about eight car lengths at this point and I decided to slow down and call it quits.

I don't know anything about Jetta wagons. I think they look pretty nice but it didn't seem like it had much in the performance department or the driver was too scared to push it.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Definetely a good KILL story!!!!!!!
8) :D 8)

Joe Z

·
Registered
555 Posts
I am all for having fun driving a car but 120+ is probably pushing the envelope a little bit. What would you have done if the Jetta or some other car were right with you at 120? Next stop 130-140? Sometimes when these events start on the highway neither party has the ability to stop when things start getting crazier.

I am not trying to preach to anyone but just be careful that you don't get sucked into something that could change your life. As speeds elevate driver skill and judgment become even more important because the margin for error is exponentially smaller at 120 mph than at 60 mph. For the most part you won't find people who's driving skill set enables them to drive around other cars at 120+ doing so on freeway. They would rather be driving 140 on a racetrack with more experienced drivers; it is a lot safer and a lot more fun. If a car is traveling faster than I am, I would tend to let them go and run radar bait for me.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I am all for having fun driving a car but 120+ is probably pushing the envelope a little bit. What would you have done if the Jetta or some other car were right with you at 120? Next stop 130-140? Sometimes when these events start on the highway neither party has the ability to stop when things start getting crazier.

I am not trying to preach to anyone but just be careful that you don't get sucked into something that could change your life. As speeds elevate driver skill and judgment become even more important because the margin for error is exponentially smaller at 120 mph than at 60 mph. For the most part you won't find people who's driving skill set enables them to drive around other cars at 120+ doing so on freeway. They would rather be driving 140 on a racetrack with more experienced drivers; it is a lot safer and a lot more fun. If a car is traveling faster than I am, I would tend to let them go and run radar bait for me.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I usually wouldn't bother you about this, but I am the moderator and I have to do what I am told. This post really belongs in the IS300 vs. The World forum. Sorry to bug you about this, but its my job. Thank you.

P.S. Even though it is in the wrong forum, good kill story. Be careful street racing, racing on public roads is extremely dangerous!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't sure where this post belonged. Now I know for next time.

As far as driving 120, I only did it when the road opened up (no cars in front) and only did it for not more than a minute -- just enough to get some good distance. And I said I slowed down after that. In fact the Jetta finally caught up, but he didn't dare pass me until I slowed to about 60-65.

But jmess I agree with you about escalating speeds. No I wouldn't have gone 140.

·
Registered
82 Posts
lilken, cool story about smoking da jetta down in oc. on another note, where did you p/u your blitz kit? how much was it and when do you plan to have it installed?

thnx

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mandalorian said:
lilken, cool story about smoking da jetta down in oc. on another note, where did you p/u your blitz kit? how much was it and when do you plan to have it installed?

thnx
I forget exactly the name of the place where I picked it up -- it was in the City of Industry somewhere. I called Blitz directly and they gave me the name of a dealer. I am not planning on installing (more like having it installed) for a while (next spring at the earliest) since it will cost some duckets to paint and install. I am swapping my front bumper with someone's sedan bumper since the kit only fits the sedan bumper.

Anyway, call Blitz they are real helpful in locating a dealer for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
unclehugi
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing