Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace the head unit in my car since the cd changer finally bit it.

Is the head unit any different than the sedan due to the subwoofer? What about the number of channels? Seeing the car has 8 speakers, is each channel split in two?

I've only started looking and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of what to put in. I don't plan to change the car's speakers. I'm only looking for something that plays mp3 cd's, has satellite radio compatability, and HD radio reception. I'm not after dvd stuff or anything with a big screen. And it has to last, I don't want to replace it in 2 years.

·
Registered
923 Posts
just get a good brand and a well featured deck. I found out that the only problem I had with the OEM harness conversion to the aftermarket was that my oem sub wasnt powering up. and I actually had to wire the amp-on wire to the subwoofer control wire on the factory harness side. everything else Im pretty sure is still powered by the OEM amp when you put it all together.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just put in a JVC KW-XR610 CD receiver in my 03. Used their XMDirect2 Reciever as well.
You need a wiring adapter Metra TYTO-01

Went in very easy, the Metra adapter is kind of bulky but fits to the left of the HU and the xm box fits above the AC/Heater controls.
Hook the blue/white wire to the HU's blue amp wire.
I used the free install kit from Crutchfield. You need an antenna extender.
Before I disconnected the old HU, I maxed out the volume control (as recommended here)

Unfortunately JVC has a satellite ready double DIN unit and a HD double DIN unit but not both.
PS I have two factory HU's from an 03 and an 04 Sportcross if your are interested

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool guys, I appreciate the pointers.

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm embarrassed to say I never replaced my stereo. Shortly after I posted this I was told I would be getting laid off and went into save-up mode. Then I got strung along till early 2013 with that crap before getting a decent severance due to several unfortunate circumstances (for the company). My car went into storage and I traveled in a toy hauler for a year with my girlfriend before resettling. Now that I'm officially back on my feet and sold my truck and toy hauler it's time to get some sound in my car because the LA radio stations are haaarrrrabbllleee!

I used to buy car stereo stuff through Crutchfield, are they still as good as they used to be?

Anyone have a brand they like? Just need regular reception and something that will play MP3's off a cdr or dvdr. I'm done with satellite radio, fuck those guys. I cancelled them years ago and they still tried billing me for a year after I cancelled; I had to cancel my credit card and get a new number to cut them off for good.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the lead.

About channels, do I need an 8 channel receiver or will a 4 channel do?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put off my stereo install till today. I have the TYTO-01 adapter connected per the instructions and have no amp sound. I'm not really sure what's up at this point. The blue/white wires are connected between the stereo and 16 pin harness. Am I missing something?

Sent from the shitter using my phone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put off my stereo install till today. I have the TYTO-01 adapter connected per the instructions and have no amp sound. I'm not really sure what's up at this point. The blue/white wires are connected between the stereo and 16 pin harness. Am I missing something?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts