Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before talking about today. We must step back to 2004. I was working for a local car dealership. One of my jobs was to take cars that didn't sell to a local auction to be sold and vice verse. At the auction I was required to take this Blue Lexus back to the dealership. Turned out to be an IBP IS300 sedan. Immediately I loved the cluster, the shift knob, the overall look and the aura of the car. So, I kept in the back of my head to get one. One day.........

June 2012. I wanted a new car to go with my AE86. I figured the easy choice was the FRS. Test drove the auto (it's all they had) I liked it. But, I already had a daily I never drove. A 2001 Chevrolet Impala LS aka The Muscle. It was a fun car with what I did. But, I got the AE86 and that all changed. Thus the Imp became the daily I never drove. The Imp was such a loss that I decided to give it to a friend. So, in July it made the track of 2500 miles to Scottsdale AZ.

September 2012. I'm at a Toyota Dealer asking about an Argento FRS. They didn't have any and wouldn't have any for quite some time. As we were pulling out of the dealership. My eyes catch a beautiful blue Lexus wagon sitting on the Mazda lot across the street. Turned out it was the IS300 wagon. Seeing the cluster automatically triggered the thoughts in 2004. Now, I knew a wagon existed cause of the Gran Turismo series but, I never saw one in real life. Sensing it was rare I just had to have it. I wasn't gonna leave til it was mine. We argued for 5 hours on price. They originally wanted $14,500. I signed on $9,500!

My SportCross chilling near the TV Towers on South Mountain.

Now the fun task of getting it home. Me and my friend drove it back to MD, started the process of learning my new car , and prepping it for the inspection process.

The bad:
The car had this steering wheel cover that looked like it was sew on by a blind man.
An ebay shift knob that wasn't attached at all.
The dealer rotated the tires without knowing about the staggered wheel's
The dealer put crappy brake pads on that destroyed the rotors
Previous owner put horrible fake aluminium dress up kit inside. (I put up with it til a few cold days started to make parts of it fall off)

Fixed:
Tore off the steering wheel cover while still in AZ. I had to know if the wheel underneath was roached. It wasn't so yea.......idiot. (The stupidity isn't over yet. Not by a long shot.)
Replaced shift knob for OE. (I like OE better.)
Put the wheels back. No control arm damage thankfully.
Put on Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position's
Replaced the rotors with Stop Tech cross drilled's (the ones that were on there looked like previous gen Stop Tech's)
Hawk Pads
Got a free spare key from the dealer back in AZ. Had it programed at my local Lexus dealer. So, they washed it just in time for my 1st meet.

For my birthday my dad got me my 1st mod for the car. An HKS Hi-Power Axle Back. I had to wait though to put it on til it passed inspection. It passed finally. On to plate selection. Hmmm so many choices.

My friend who helped me drive it to MD said jokingly "this is like a Supra Wagon". Yeah. It is.

The HKS was put on the 1st week of Nov. This year a K&N FIPK and OBX Shorty Headers was put on. I think that's it for now. I'm tired and I'll finish more back story and history later.

·
Mr. Roo
9,289 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story (well the beginning anyway), it's about time you posted it lol

I know you originally wanted to restore it back to stock, with the options and stuff. Have you changed your mind at all to mod?

I saw the video you made at the Mega Meet last Sunday.... I must've missed you since I didn't see you from 3-4pm.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Nice thread! Great story and it reminded me of when I bought mine 4 years ago. I was at an Audi dealership, looking at A3s....test drove one and was very happy. Then as soon as we were about to sit and talk numbers, I glanced and notice a wagon I have never seen! It was the Sportcross.....long story short, love at first sight. I backed out of the A3 purchase and got me that 05 sportcross. =) Been enjoying her ever since.

Treat her well bro! Congrats.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great story!!
I think we all have our own story to tell of how this beautiful machine caught our eyes and it was love at first sight.

I fell in love in 2003 and I finally got mine in 2010....

Love is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know you originally wanted to restore it back to stock, with the options and stuff. Have you changed your mind at all to mod?
Some stuff is in the works. I strongly believe in the line "Simple but effective." I'll get that soon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some interesting tidbits I found in the car. It still had all the factory floor mats. Even the mat that goes in the back. The privacy pull for the back. Missing a screw that I replaced. The wheels were original to the car. The full size spare looked like it was NEVER used.

One thing that was missing was the locks for the wheels. I had the key but not the locks. I went to my local Toyota dealer and asked for a random lock set. As I was putting them on I looked at the key. Will I be damned its the SAME as the original set that was on the car.

But, the best thing I found in the car was inside the original Lexus leatherette pouch that held the manual.
The original window sticker!

Seeing that made me think that this car at one point was well taken care of. So, I joined the Lexus Owner's part of Lexus' website. I was able to pull up all the service records of the car. I was right. Very, very well taken care of. But, odd as well. Sold in NY, made its way to PA, then to VA Beach where it was taken to the dealer every time something went bad. Even replacing the Map Light, lol. Even made me worry less. The timing belt was done at 109k miles. Also the shocks were replaced. Though I still wonder how on earth it made its way to AZ?

·
Registered
554 Posts
good find, how many miles?

·
Registered
554 Posts
take good care of her now ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To give you an idea of what I came from.

Owned this from October 2004-September 2012. It was a fun car. Bulletproof engine. But, I couldn't stand the FWD format anymore. My AE86 consumed me to wanting a RWD daily. Well, it consumed me period. I never really drove it hehe.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. I have a Y pipe laying around so I'm considering just throwing that on to see if i like the sound it makes. Why not try something if you have it taking up space in your room? I just ordered the solid steering rack bushings from FIGS. I read the OE bushings suck, and the solid bushings are only 5 bucks more then the poly's. Considering doing a grounding kit since the auto is controlled that way. Course video's will be made.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts