Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got the newest issue of Automobile magazine today (Oct. 2003) and the cover story reads "$30k Mega Test: 12 sport sedans ranked and spanked!" And guess what, the IS was in the test. Then I read their results with utter disbelief. They ranked the TSX above the IS!!! I may be biased but what are they thinking? Here are their final rankings:

1. Acura TSX
2. BMW 325i
3. Infinity G35
4. Mitsu Lancer Evo
5. Mazda 6 S
6. Subaru Impreza WRX
7. Lexus IS300
8. Audi A4 1.8T quattro
9. Saab 9-3 Linear
10. MB C230k Sport
11. Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G
12 Nissan Maxima SE

What are you opinions?

·
Registered
975 Posts
LexMunky5 said:
Well, I just got the newest issue of Automobile magazine today (Oct. 2003) and the cover story reads "$30k Mega Test: 12 sport sedans ranked and spanked!" And guess what, the IS was in the test. Then I read their results with utter disbelief. They ranked the TSX above the IS!!! I may be biased but what are they thinking? Here are their final rankings:

1. Acura TSX
2. BMW 325i
3. Infinity G35
4. Mitsu Lancer Evo
5. Mazda 6 S
6. Subaru Impreza WRX
7. Lexus IS300
8. Audi A4 1.8T quattro
9. Saab 9-3 Linear
10. MB C230k Sport
11. Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G
12 Nissan Maxima SE

What are you opinions?
What criteria was used to rank them?

Doesn't the Acura cost a lot less? If so, maybe it was ranked by value?

·
11,061 Posts
Bah.

You like what you drive? DRIVE IT and be PROUD!
Don't like what you drive? GET SOMETHING ELSE!

That's why they make different cars...

·
Registered
603 Posts
GraphiteSportDesign said:
thats true, value does play a big part in those reviews.
Then it still wouldn't make sense why Maxima ranked at the bottom while TSX ranked top. Or why IS ranked 7th while 325 ranked 2nd.

Both TSX and 325 aren't the best value you can get, nor are they the best performer in their price range.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SeattleSheila said:
Bah.

You like what you drive? DRIVE IT and be PROUD!
Don't like what you drive? GET SOMETHING ELSE!

That's why they make different cars...
Who's complaining about the IS? I was complaining about Automobile magazine's complete lack of objectivity and consistancy in their rankings. It seems that whenever they publish one of these comparisons, it is always way out of whack with public opinion.

BTW1: As for the criteria... they didn't specify, but they did list performance numbers and standard and optional equipment

BTW2: The TSX is not "a lot" cheaper than the IS. I think the extra $2k-$3k the IS costs is worth every penny in what you get in return.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know what criteria they've used for comparison, but the funny thing is how just about EVERY magazine's review of similar cars (Automobile mag isn't the first to do this comparo :roll: ) are soooooo inconsistent!!! Just read similar comparos from C&D or Motortrend for the past 6 months... the ratings are all over the charts!

And... is it just me, or does the new Acuras starting to look like a modernized versions of Grand Ams??? :crazy:

Lastly, I just read the review of the new Honda Accord Coupe EX: 0-60 in 5.9 sec!!! Dang, too bad it's FWD...

·
Registered
88 Posts
WTF??? Mazda 6 is in the same class? I thought Mazda 6 is more likely to be in Civic or Altima level... Geee.. rating Mazda 6 over IS300 is the greatest insult ever to IS people. It is like comparing Civic to IS300.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
That TSX is the same European Honda Accord. Pretty nice but I would not rank it as number 1.

·
Registered
88 Posts
LexMunky5 said:
BTW2: The TSX is not "a lot" cheaper than the IS. I think the extra $2k-$3k the IS costs is worth every penny in what you get in return.
A brand new IS300 w/ 5spd costs about $27k. TSX costs about $26~27k. They are in the same price range.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
well, the is300/altezza has been around since like 1997? and after 7 years, without no major modifications, it still ranked among the top 10 in the faces of new competitors and technology :)

despite all that, i too still think that the is300 deserve better position over the tsx, 325i, and mazda 6. but hey, the magz got to give the new comer some face too :roll:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
whiteISmine said:
LexMunky5 said:
A brand new IS300 w/ 5spd costs about $27k. TSX costs about $26~27k. They are in the same price range.
Where can you get a new IS for $27k?!?!?! Are you talking about a base (ie. no options) IS? Those are few and far between. I would think a better comparision would be to take an IS with typical options and an TSX w/o navi with typical options (which there are none). I do not think any sane Lexus dealer will part with a $33k+ car for 27.

·
Registered
39 Posts
LexMunky5 said:
whiteISmine said:
LexMunky5 said:
Where can you get a new IS for $27k?!?!?! Are you talking about a base (ie. no options) IS? Those are few and far between. I would think a better comparision would be to take an IS with typical options and an TSX w/o navi with typical options (which there are none). I do not think any sane Lexus dealer will part with a $33k+ car for 27.
I got mine 3 weeks ago for $27,000.00. E-shift with all options except Navigation. 5-speed would've been $500 cheaper, but car was for my wife who could care less about a manual...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RX300wannabeIS300 said:
LexMunky5 said:
whiteISmine said:
LexMunky5 said:
I got mine 3 weeks ago for $27,000.00. E-shift with all options except Navigation. 5-speed would've been $500 cheaper, but car was for my wife who could care less about a manual...
good lord.. I stand corrected... wow... you got a great deal then. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts