Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looked around a bunch, and i'm pretty sure i have this right, but i'd LOVE for some Sport Design owners to chime in.

my query is about the exact differences between the 2003 and 2004 sport design with GRAY INTERIORS.

2003:
Grille - the two-bar grille that we normally refer to as the "sport design" grille? - YES/NO
Interior - the grey seats were a little darker and had gray piping? - YES/NO
Wheels - the 11-spoke wheels in the lighter, silver color? - YES/NO
Gauge Cluster - with the black background? - YES/NO
Steering Wheel - with black stitching? - YES/NO

2004:
Grille - back to the normal-looking grille? - YES/NO
Interior - lighter grey with NO grey piping? - YES/NO
Wheels - the 11-spoke wheels, but darker? - YES/NO
Gauge Cluster - with the silver background? - YES/NO
Steering Wheel - with white stitching? - YES/NO

this was the information posted by our one-and-only jruhi4 a while back that included changes for all 1st gen model years. It chimes in to some of the things i've mentioned, but i'd like to know from actual owners for sure about those 5 things from '03 to '04:

2003 Model Year
New Models:
* SportDesign edition sedan available, package includes:
- 11-spoke 17" SportDesign rims
- Thundercloud Metallic exterior color (Black Onyx and Graphite Gray Pearl also available)
- Black pearl badging with Sport Design emblems
- SportDesign front grille
- SportDesign smoked gray fog lights, tail lights and headlights
- SportDesign exhaust
- Full leather Ash Gray interior (Black also available)

2004 Model Year
New Models:
* SportDesign changes for 2004:
- 11-spoke wheels are Charcoal finished with TCM and BO exteriors, Silver finished with Alabaster exterior
- Double-stitched Smoke Gray leather interior (Black leather w/Gray piping carries over from 2003)
- Euro-tuned suspension on manual models

Interior:
* Bright silver replaces dark silver on window switch plates, instrument cluster background, climate control dial rings, audio volume and tuner rings and steering wheel stitching

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
looked around a bunch, and i'm pretty sure i have this right, but i'd LOVE for some Sport Design owners to chime in.

my query is about the exact differences between the 2003 and 2004 sport design with GRAY INTERIORS.

2003:
Grille - the two-bar grille that we normally refer to as the "sport design" grille? - YES
Interior - the grey seats were a little darker and had gray piping? - YES/NO
Wheels - the 11-spoke wheels in the lighter, silver color? - YES/NO
Gauge Cluster - with the black background? - YES
Steering Wheel - with black stitching? - YES

2004:
Grille - back to the normal-looking grille? - YES
Interior - lighter grey with NO grey piping? - YES/NO
Wheels - the 11-spoke wheels, but darker? - YES/NO
Gauge Cluster - with the silver background? - YES
Steering Wheel - with white stitching? - YES

this was the information posted by our one-and-only jruhi4 a while back that included changes for all 1st gen model years. It chimes in to some of the things i've mentioned, but i'd like to know from actual owners for sure about those 5 things from '03 to '04:

2003 Model Year
New Models:
* SportDesign edition sedan available, package includes:
- 11-spoke 17" SportDesign rims
- Thundercloud Metallic exterior color (Black Onyx and Graphite Gray Pearl also available)
- Black pearl badging with Sport Design emblems
- SportDesign front grille
- SportDesign smoked gray fog lights, tail lights and headlights
- SportDesign exhaust
- Full leather Ash Gray interior (Black also available)

2004 Model Year
New Models:
* SportDesign changes for 2004:
- 11-spoke wheels are Charcoal finished with TCM and BO exteriors, Silver finished with Alabaster exterior
- Double-stitched Smoke Gray leather interior (Black leather w/Gray piping carries over from 2003)
- Euro-tuned suspension on manual models

Interior:
* Bright silver replaces dark silver on window switch plates, instrument cluster background, climate control dial rings, audio volume and tuner rings and steering wheel stitching
I changed the answers of the ones I was pretty confident in. Some of them I am not 100% sure of, although I do know my 2003 SD did have the silver 11 spoke wheels. Not sure if the 2003s were all silver and the 2004s were all darker, or if both finishes were available for both years.

Also, the heads fogs, and tails are different. 2003s have a purplish looking dark chrome, and the 2004s have a titanium finish, which almost looks like a very light gold or champagne color...

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the answers of the ones I was pretty confident in. Some of them I am not 100% sure of, although I do know my 2003 SD did have the silver 11 spoke wheels. Not sure if the 2003s were all silver and the 2004s were all darker, or if both finishes were available for both years.

Also, the heads fogs, and tails are different. 2003s have a purplish looking dark chrome, and the 2004s have a titanium finish, which almost looks like a very light gold or champagne color...
awesome. thanks!
i'm actually almost certain about the wheels, that 2004 were the dark version.

i actually didn't know the heads, fogs, and tails were different. the 03's were darker??

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
awesome. thanks!
i'm actually almost certain about the wheels, that 2004 were the dark version.

i actually didn't know the heads, fogs, and tails were different. the 03's were darker??
Yes, the differences are quite stark, actually. The 2003 SDs are very much like the regular dark chrome, but they have a very noticeable purple tint to them. The 2004s are very different. Much lighter, and are almost not even chrome, kinda like a satin finish.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So Im confused now. My 04 is MsM in color and here is what I have in and out of the car.

1. Silver trim around my gauges
2. Silver panels on front and back window switches
3. Dash cubby with door
4. White stiched sterring wheel with a silver peice at the bottom
5. Silver trim around front seats (leather)
6. Crome exhuast tip

Now I dont have the SD rims I have the 5 spokes and I dont have the SD logo on the sides. Nothing fancy about my headlights or girll either.

My ? is this, do I have a options car that was a reg IS300 but had the opitions put in for the SD?

PICs
Silver cluster trim

Silver window switch, Dark silver pipping w/blk leather, white stiched wheel, and that silver peice at the bottom of wheel

Silver around the cliamte control and cubby on the dash

Crome tip from the exhuast

Can anyone tell me if I have the reg or the SD headlight and fogs?

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ all 04s and 05s came with those things you mentioned. since you have MSM, that right there makes it certain that it is NOT a sport design.

those things you mentioned were not exclusive to sport design models, we were just comparing the differences between 03 sport designs and 04 sport designs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
^^^ all 04s and 05s came with those things you mentioned. since you have MSM, that right there makes it certain that it is NOT a sport design.

those things you mentioned were not exclusive to sport design models, we were just comparing the differences between 03 sport designs and 04 sport designs.
Oh ok. I havent seen many with what I have so I thought it was an options car. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Ill see you at the meet.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts

Right. Plus, you have chrome badging. Sport Designs all have black pearl emblems.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Also just to chime in, this is an upgrade to the 04' was 'Mist type Windshield Washers'.

A posse to the '3 Jet type Windshield Washers' on all 01 - 03'.

AND

04' interior was a little different. No piping, cream color, perforated leather & leather door cards.

(example of the perforated leather on the 04' keep in mind its the same on a 03' but with piping.)

03' Dark gray piping, light gray color, perforated leather & suede door cards.

I hope this helps, Interior makes up half the car so the differences may be important.

also...

the SD emblem.

03'

04'

I have an 03' and love it every bit. Just want the Washers...:cool:

·
Registered
14,829 Posts

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Can anyone tell me if I have the reg or the SD headlight and fogs?
Pretty sure only SD had darker than chrome headlights. Pretty weird that your's has dark headlights but is not a SD?

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
04' interior was a little different. No piping, cream color, perforated leather & leather door cards.

03' Dark gray piping, light gray color, perforated leather & suede door cards.

I hope this helps, Interior makes up half the car so the differences may be important.
(a few of the links to your pics didnt work) but great post! exactly, the interior is very important!, and i love the 03 seats with the grey piping :(

i guess i need to make a SD hybrid! haha
seats, headlights, taillights, fogs, and grille from 03.
wheels, gauge cluster, steering wheel, and dash tray from 04.

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
His sister's IS300 was tampered with. Or maybe someone opted out of Black Pearl Package.

As for a SD hybrid the wheels are the same, just paint them... The cluster in the 03' is better,
black surround looks fine. As for the steering wheel all 04'-05' had the Light Gray stitching and
Silver 'L' Badge (and gauge cluster). And the trays are like 50$

Oh, 04' also offered Alabaster Metallic but NOT in Graphite Gray Pearl

1 - 20 of 46 Posts