Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
copy that. i should mention that on top of throwing a bulb out warning light, the led strip STILL doesnt light up. double fail. :(
Yep, with the strip not working, it will give you a malfunction light. Following Diggers excellent post above, voltage needs to be checked at the strip to verify that indeed it is the strip circuit board.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I found no current on the wire, so I ripped off the extremely irritating trunk liner and discovered a minor wiring problem: It's disconnected!

Upon removal of the liner I immediately found this...

To test this revelation, I connected the bar directly, and for the first time in 9 +/- years, after 130,000 miles,... this Toyota LED bar came to life!

So, wtfuck? The wiring wasn't even ran into the trunk... The factory forgot to hook it up?? :confused: I'll never know.

Obviously next step is to rip off the spoiler and make things right. Thanks everyone for your help in solving this mystery. Any tips on removing the spoiler's tape?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Found this quote from fellow member Edgy:

it is a BITCH to remove without fucking up the paint under it or the spoiler it self due to the 3m tape....but the next spoiler should cover that up you hope... :-?

I took mine off and you basically have to pull off the trunk liner to get access to the two i think bolts ...these bolts have i believe 8mm or 10mm ( i think 8mm) nuts you must loosen from the inside of the trunklid ) they pass thru holes in the deck lid that are kind of TIGHT & the spoiler kind of has to force its way in & out of these holes since they rub against the threads so much.....almost like the holes were slightly off ya know like the trunk light bar for the Lic. plate... same deal there...

then you ned to use the fishing line or floss (?) method......... what ever you find that works to cut thru the 3m tape..... there are several large 2 inch x 3 inch patches of 3m tape under the thing plus longer strips of it at the leading edge, facing the rr window & along the trailing edge facing the rr bumper... I used a thin soft plastic spreader & kept wedging it in there & just cutting into he 3m tape & pulling up on the wing at the same time...

but since there was dirt & crap under there from 12 months of driving my spreader scratched the shit out of the paint when it picked up the dirt & dust that was sitting there between the chunks of 3m tape... :(

I got it off but THEN i found ...the TRD spoiler WILL NOT cover the two holes that the OEM spoiler uses for the plastic..clips AND ONE more hole is also slightly seen as well near the center...that one is only halfway covered basically... :x

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
My OEM spoiler had 7 drilled holes and 3M tape

You can see all of it..... in its glory here:

Digger08

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Alright, she’s fixed. I popped up the right-hand side of the spoiler and was able to fish the wire through the spoiler with a coat hanger (huge pain in the ass!), which saved me from having to completely remove it. Thanks again for everyone’s help on this.

Now people can be blinded when I stop!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
i have the same issue but the my question is what does the spoiler brake light connect to, to light up when i press my brakes??
There is a junction point for both the negative and positive right above the driverside wheel well where the current sensing little module is, under the carpet trim. Negative is a white/black wire and positive is a green/yellow wire. There's a junction connector for each-J13/J15 I believe.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
i have the same issue but the my question is what does the spoiler brake light connect to, to light up when i press my brakes??
What Jason said. On my car, there was a black connector in the middle area of the trunk lid (under the liner) that was never even connected by the factory. I hooked it up and after 100k miles my car finally has a third brake light.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
ill take a look at it tmr, pictures would help a lot.
I am not going to tear my car apart to show you exactly where I described. Here's a pic of where the rear light out sensor is and is also where the junction points are. If you need an exact wiring diagram, download the diagnostic manual I put up in the Gen Disc forum(sticky). It has everything you wanted to know and more, but your focus is on page 807 and 877.

89373 8937312140
LAMP FAILURE INDICATOR SENSOR, P/N LABEL: 89373121 40, SEDAN ONLY

2002 IS300: OEM Electrical (SWITCH & RELAY) Replacement Parts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Gohanburner cast "REVIVE" on old thread.

I just bought a 2003 5-speed and the lip spoiler brake light is out so the indicator will never go away. Is there a way to simulate the current? I plan on deleting the 3rd brake light after I get a CF trunk.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Gohanburner cast "REVIVE" on old thread.

I just bought a 2003 5-speed and the lip spoiler brake light is out so the indicator will never go away. Is there a way to simulate the current? I plan on deleting the 3rd brake light after I get a CF trunk.

you can just add a wingless brake light on the rear deck.

·
Registered
373 Posts
you can just add a wingless brake light on the rear deck.
I didn't think you could because on my '01 there was a hole where the deck brake light went through. There isn't one on this '03 I got. So it would not sit correctly.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts