Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Now your rear is locked:
Make *SURE* both rear tires are the *EXACT* same size. Do not use one American sized tire and one metric sized tire that someone told you are the same size... their NOT. Tires of different sizes will place a tremendous strain on the entire rear end assembly and could easily break something.
Try not to turn your car on asphalt too much. Turning on solid ground also puts the entire rear end under high strain. This is why you'll want to think twice about locking the rear in a car that will race on asphalt. If something snaps, you'll be VERY lucky if your rear returns to one wheel drive. Most likely, the rear will turn into no wheel drive!
When turning the car, you will hear a barking sound from the rear tires. This is normal. When making a turn, the outside rear tire has to spin faster (it's got further to go). That's why your car had a differential in the first place. Now that you've locked the rear, that tire cannot spin any faster then the inside tire. Something has to give, so the tire barks.
Be aware. Now that the rear end is locked, the rear of the car will easily slide when you're on the throttle and turning.

That's from some site, I really hope you're doing this for race purposes only cuz it's gonna suck if you get into an accident on the street. Also read the last bolded line! :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats kinda the main problem I'm running into. Welding the gears will effect the everyday driving and its not worth the risk of being on the road. My main goal is to at least hinder the traction control slightly so that both tires will "snap free" in unison, but still maintain everyday driving.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
hydrofist said:
My main goal is to at least hinder the traction control slightly so that both tires will "snap free" in unison, but still maintain everyday driving.
Traction control...snap free.....Uh...yeah. :crazy:

Where did u even get the idea of welding your spider gears on a street car? :roll:

Three letters for ya: LSD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah,..LSD. Good one. If your not going to be helpful why bother writting? And if you have to ask what I'm doing it might be best if you stick to "Huffy's". And also don't worry, I've already found what I'm looking for. Looks like my tires will "snap free" after all. Thanks

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
hydrofist said:
Yeah,..LSD. Good one. If your not going to be helpful why bother writting? And if you have to ask what I'm doing it might be best if you stick to "Huffy's". And also don't worry, I've already found what I'm looking for. Looks like my tires will "snap free" after all. Thanks
You've stated that your car will be used street car. Driving without a differential in a street driven car would be crazy.

Whether you have a open diff, LSD, or welded spider gears has nothing to do with "hindering traction control".

Maybe if you can tell us a little more about what you are trying to do? Drift? Drag?

·
Nygmatic
2,572 Posts
what a dumbass? solid differential!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

try getting the TRD LSD instead of the torsen. funny guy.

next time post up more information about what you want to do. otherwise we think you are riding on a huffy wanting a solid diff. :roll:

·
Registered
935 Posts
hydrofist said:
Thats kinda the main problem I'm running into. Welding the gears will effect the everyday driving and its not worth the risk of being on the road. My main goal is to at least hinder the traction control slightly so that both tires will "snap free" in unison, but still maintain everyday driving.
Locking the rear axles together should work well to "snap free" your rear wheels. Probably take parts of the axles with them too though. :noway:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.