Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just dropped my car on tein s-techs. i love the drop and ride is great. thing is i have visable camber on the rear. the front looks fine. what i'm wondering is i know there will be uneven tire wear but is there any other bad things that can happen? i do like the look of the camber problem just want to make sure if i keep it that way that the only problem i'll have is the tire wear. i just dont' want my car to fall apart or anything along those lines.

thanks....sorry i'm a newb

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Camber isn't THAT big of a problem... just make sure you don't have lots tow Toe... that is the main problem with tire wear... i'm lowered on 2.5" and my stock OEM RE040 lasted me 45000km before i needed to replace but that was due to a nail in one of the tires... which i decided to change all 4...

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
id take your car to get an alignment, ust incase anything else is off like toe in and out, or caster.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
86b said:
Camber isn't THAT big of a problem... just make sure you don't have lots tow Toe... that is the main problem with tire wear... i'm lowered on 2.5" and my stock OEM RE040 lasted me 45000km before i needed to replace but that was due to a nail in one of the tires... which i decided to change all 4...
Are you sure about that??? I believe the camber IS the main problem. Toe helps reduce the amount of uneven tire wear. I am not saying I am 100% sure but the logic is sound with me. I also know that on a track (where tire wear is the least of your concern lol) you are better w/o any toe in on the rear and some toe out on the front. While this setup is great for auto-x etc, it is murder on your tires.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i want to drop my car with some S-Techs also.....let me know how everything goes for ya bro and if you really like it.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
imo the look is not worth it. after a few sets of tires you will understand. get it aligned when you can. you will still have some neg camber but it will def help

·
Registered
512 Posts
Toe is the number one cause of tire wire, then camber. If you have too much tow in in will feather the inner edge, as for too much toe out with feather outer edge. Cast is the least tire wearing issue, although can be pretty severe if its wayy off

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
djlunatiq said:
Toe is the number one cause of tire wire, then camber. If you have too much tow in in will feather the inner edge, as for too much toe out with feather outer edge. Cast is the least tire wearing issue, although can be pretty severe if its wayy off

Hmmm....Can you explain to me how caster will cause a tire wear out improperly?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
i hear toe is the thing to be most worried about when it regards tire wear...im still waiting on an alignemnt...

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
They have a camber kit by OBX but I believe it doesn't do much. Just make sure u align the car after lowering it. It makes a difference on tire wear.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
There is no camber kit for the IS, this is something you newbies should get beaten into your head. The car already have factory cam for camber adjustment. The most crucial angle that kills your tire is going to be toe, which should be fully adjustable with the factory adjustments.

·
Registered
210 Posts
amen to that...let the springs settled first then have it aligned. once the car is dropped, the inner thread of the tires are going to wear off quick. that is if you insist on wheel alignment. most of the shop out there won't align a lowered vehicle. if you do find one, make sure you get a print out. BTW, can you post anything unsual you'll find regarding the spring installation of your car?

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
camber isn't much of an issue if you have the right toe. i had -2 camber up front and -1 in the rear with even tire wear on Falken Azenis ST115's. They lasted about 17k miles of hard driving.

i have since raised my car a little so i can only go down to -1.3 up front. the beauty of Falken Azenis RT-215's is that they are non-directional so i can rotate my tires to keep even wear.

toe in will stabilize the car so your steering will be more predictable. no toe or toe out will make your car feel more darty.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow thanks for all the responses. i've only had them on for about a month and they have already settles which i love! the stance is perfect i love the one finger gap all around.

i haven't experienced any problems yet. everything seems to be working and functioning the same as stock. no noise and the ride is just a little more bouncy but i like that. i dont' like my ride to be too smooth. i like to feel the road a little.

the only bad thing is don't fit 3 ppl in the back cause the car just sits on the ground...well not really but it does drop like another inch...lol

haven't gotten the alignment done yet. don't feel like i need to. there is no visable tire wear problems as of yet.

the only thing is that tire noise is louder then usual but then i got my bumpin system to clear that up.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Frydryce.... you have no idea how long ive been looking for those. Thanks

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Frydryce said:
camber isn't much of an issue if you have the right toe. i had -2 camber up front and -1 in the rear with even tire wear on Falken Azenis ST115's. They lasted about 17k miles of hard driving.

i have since raised my car a little so i can only go down to -1.3 up front. the beauty of Falken Azenis RT-215's is that they are non-directional so i can rotate my tires to keep even wear.

toe in will stabilize the car so your steering will be more predictable. no toe or toe out will make your car feel more darty.
exactly, you said it best in here...

THe only thing that camber will hinder is your tire contact patch... If you are concerned about tire wear and camber, you shouldnt be.. Make sure your toe is right and you will be fine especially on a Stech Drop...

Some of you have the terms Toe IN and Toe OUT confused...

Caster is NOT adjustable on the IS and there is a slight offset in camber from left to right on this car. (done at the factory)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts