Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just to let you know where we're running next year, and that it's not just a West-coast series. Anyone interested in any of these tracks is encouraged to participate in our classing discussion in this forum, so we can create a system that works for everyone. Thanks, all!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
great post man!
all i know how to do is post letters and smileys

when/how do we pay, how do we select our season numbers, what is the next step?

or do we just RSVP vis your site and show up ready to go...?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MSM MT IS300 said:
great post man!
all i know how to do is post letters and smileys

when/how do we pay, how do we select our season numbers, what is the next step?

or do we just RSVP vis your site and show up ready to go...?
Thanks on the post, I just cheated: it's a picture :)

Once we get the classing worked out, you just signup via the site for events, and you're automatically classed in the IS300 Challenge results.

We're going to purge the current car number assignments in early December, freeing up a lot of numbers. Then people will simply choose numbers from the available pool when they signup for their first event.

·
Registered
112 Posts
rules and regulations?

I am happy to see that IS owners are gathering to bring their cars out to the track. It is awesome to see 10-15 IS on the track at once. Like all other race series, I have my concerns and maybe someone here can clear the fog in my head. I have extensive track experience and I participate in the spec miata series. I don't have a problem with racing wheel to wheel, but how does Speedventure regulate the race licensing? Who is eligible? A stock IS is plenty fast and overwhelming at the limit on the track for a newbie. Can anyone without racing experience participate? I am not trying to exclude newcomers, but I feel more comfortable if there are regulations on eligibility since we are not out there to play bumper cars.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
an excellent point tommy, speedventures is an autoX event organizer. as such, there is no wheel to wheel racing but rather time versus time. that is not to say that there may not be more than one car on the track... but they are purposely distanced at start so the two drivers should never see one another while running. i too would be a bit nervous running wheel to wheel, and i think so would be my insurance company!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Speedventure competitions are time trials, not autoXes per se. An autoX is normally held in a large parking lot. Time trials are held at race tracks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I always under the impression that insurance companies do not cover this type of driving events.

there are different passing rules for different groups of driving skill level.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
pixmation said:
I always under the impression that insurance companies do not cover this type of driving events.quote]

the deal with usaa:
a time trial is a racing event and not approved, but autoXing for the sake of "driver's ed" is covered. so the verbage is very important. the factor is rather you are on track with other vehicles and rather the event is timed competively. this is why many car clubs (like the pca) intitle many of their events "driver ed" events.
each insurer is different, and as a general rule racing = no coverage. but be familiar with the fine print, and when in doubt, ask your company. it is not impossible for you, after rolling your car at sebring, to receive a letter explaining the lack of coverage at the time.
oh, and p.s. : there are race insurance only companies! but i don't know much about them... anyone?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Racing Format?

So what's the format of the IS series? Is it a time trial event or sprint event (many cars on track at the same time)?

Tommy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Racing Format?

stealth430 said:
So what's the format of the IS series? Is it a time trial event or sprint event (many cars on track at the same time)?

Tommy
Speedventures events are most like qualifying in F1. There are a limited number cars on the track with you, but it's not a racing pack where people are trying to out-brake you into a corner. There are 3 groups that run their own sessions; Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. Each has it's own passing rules, though all groups require the driver being passed to point the passing driver by before a pass can be made. This avoids situations where people don't realize a pass is being attempted and there's contact. Our goal is to provide safe events for street cars to be able to drive as fast as they want on racetracks, without having to worry about having a collision.

On insurance: First of all, let me say that if you are a reasonable person, meaning not hell-bent on risking it all, you are very unlikely to hit anything at our events. Strange as that may sound, whether you crash is 99% your decision to make. On rare occaions (meaning less than 1% of the time), we have had drivers hit something, and in all instances they have been covered by their insurance.

As to track-only race insurance. It is rumored to exist, but I'm not sure anyone's ever bought it :) The quotes I've heard were thousands of dollars per event.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cost and track time?

Do you have more info on race weekend schedules? How much warmup time do we get? Total track time? Etc...

And how much per event?

Tommy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Cost and track time?

stealth430 said:
Do you have more info on race weekend schedules? How much warmup time do we get? Total track time? Etc...

And how much per event?

Tommy
Hi, Pixmation is right, most of our events last year were Fridays, but next year most of the events will be weekends, as seen on the schedule above.

The schedule for most events can be found here: http://www.speedventures.net/schedule.asp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
fluxen
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing