Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spedo/odo dont work but the rpms and fuel still show. I have no idea what it could be since the cluster is plugged into the same wire. A censor maybe? I spun out in a corner and my rear left wheel too a good hit but it worked for a while after that so not sure if that coudve done it. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
You need to check your VSS ( Vehicle Speed Sensor)

After that try swapping your cluster with a known good one.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
^^^ Wouldn't that throw an ABS light ?

And Is the speedo driven from the ABS system, inquiring minds want to know.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
^^^ Wouldn't that throw an ABS light ?

And Is the speedo driven from the ABS system, inquiring minds want to know.
good point Ian. that would throw an ABS, CEL, BRAKE, or even TRAC light(at least one of them). to the OP, do you have any warning indicators as i mentioned?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
check these fuses as well: 10A GUAGE, 7.5A PANAL, 10A MPX-B. And yea your right Ian, the ABS and traction control module does read from the 4 ABS/speed sensors.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
how about this guy...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The traction control light has been going off before that already. I'll pull the wheel off see whats up the sensor should be right behind the rotor right? If it was a fuse though wouldnt the entire dash not work ?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The traction control light has been going off before that already. I'll pull the wheel off see whats up the sensor should be right behind the rotor right? If it was a fuse though wouldnt the entire dash not work ?
yes, there are sensors right behind the rotor and one on the tranny as Ian pointed out. there are multiple fuses for the cluster, but chances are its not a fuse.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
And whats up with the tranny speed sensor?
The tranny speed sensor typically drives the Speedo and ODO through the ECU.

Its the most common item for this type failure on the Nissan's I have or had.

I cant find the FSM section for the instruments and Speedo / ODO.

Jason, if you know where this is hiding please shout.
I looked for a good 15 mins.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
thanks....Its in Body electrical ....BE-90 and DI-885
Looking now...

Dont have the DI manual, and pages I have don't include DI- 885

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. So I haven't gotten around to checking everything out but its pretty safe to assume its the tranny speed sensor since both of those don't work. How much work is it to replace one? Ive never had to deal with sensors before.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks guys. So I haven't gotten around to checking everything out but its pretty safe to assume its the tranny speed sensor since both of those don't work. How much work is it to replace one? Ive never had to deal with sensors before.
Im stuck in the exact situation! I have a 02' 5 speed and every place I went to, besides the Dealership, only are able to pull up Automatic Speed Sensors and they are like, "Well thats what the computer says..." Im like I've seen the sensor, it has 3 pins out!

Any ideas? Because I am not trying to spend $176! Thanks

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I cant find this on the Park place Web site but I am going there in an hour to pick up my parts. Will ask.

Note on the Nissans, you pull the sensor out, connect a voltmeter, and spin the gear. If it reads its ok, ie not open circuit. I am sure there is also a resistance test and a check to ground, but without the proper Lexus documentation I cant tell you how to check it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts