Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got pulled over on the way coming back from whatever. anyways, the cop paced me at an excess of 30-34 over the speed limit, and gave me a unsafe lane change.

is there anything i can do to get out of these tickets?? i have absolutely no previous tickets or points...

now the cop paced me, so i dont know how that will hold up in court, and as for the improper lane change that was out of defense..

does anyone know how many points i will get if found guilty??

please anyone with court experience lend a fellow is300 owner some help...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Use on of the Law Firms specializing in Traffic Tickets. I did last September FL State Trooper said 92mph in a 65. Unger & Kowitt in Broward County cost $79 - no points, case dismissed.
http://www.ungerandkowitt.com/

·
Registered
178 Posts
aw man.. i shoulda seen that before.. i just went to court yesturday to pay for my speeding ticket.. i was going 85 in a 45 zone.. cost me 300 bucks but im taking traffic school. =T.. do watever u can to get out of it.. or ur looking around 100-120 dollar fine. plus a point on ur record.

·
8,880 Posts
Ask for a continuance. Find out when the cop has a day off and schedule a court appearance for that day. I he's not there, he cannot testify against you.
I don't know if it'll work. I just read about it.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
in MA tickets suck! $50 covers anything from 0 - 10 over the limit, then its $10 for every added MPH....so 95 in a 65 = $50 + $200 + $25(mandatory donation to the head injury foundation...BS!), so thats 275 and 3 points on your license.....luckily ive never been caught, but my sister has
she sucks at driving
BTW, if he paced you - chances are you can get it knocked down...my sister's last ticket involved a statey tailing her for 1 - 1.5 miles and she got it knocked down to 15 mph over instead of 20-25....big difference($100!)...you can also try paying the "cost of court case" - sometimes if you offer to pay for the court($75) if the cop agrees, the case is dismissed you pay the "cost of court" and thats it....ticket gone, no points! i recommend snagging a lawyer(preferably friend of family for cost reasons)

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: scoot557 ]

·
Registered
231 Posts
plead not guilty and go to court regardless. unless the prosecutor or officer is really angry at you, you can knock it down to a lower charge if you show up in person. sometimes you can make a donation to a foundation to get it dismissed or plead to non moving charges like seatbelt violation or equipment failure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
alot of interesting responses but you need to do your homework:

first, the cop with the day off thing. If you have no defense and HOPE the cop doesn't show you are going to get killed. They get paid to show and if they do and you don't have a defense most judges will give you additional court charges for wasting the courts time

Check your ticket then get the vehicle code for your state. Make sure what is written on the ticket matches the section of the vehicle code, if not...which is rare...the case is dismissed

if so and he paced you you can do the following:

get the records for the calibration on his speedometer, you can request these. It should have been calibrated and the calibration needs to be current

second ... did he pace you for a quarter mile? that is the minimum allowable in court.

If he was in calibration, followed you for a quarter mile and the ticket is correct, going to court is a waste of time.

Never believe that just hiring a lawyer can change the law, doesn't work that way. Use your common sense and you may find a way out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what does pacing really mean, i dont remember seeing him.. ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Umm.. something is missing here. Yes, the cop paced him - BUT the cop gave him a ticket for an unsafe lane change rather than speeding. (or at least that's what I took from his post.)

#1, the cop gave you a huge break. In Florida, if you're going over 25 mph over the speed limit, they can arrest you and impound your car at their discretion.

#2, Also in Florida, if you go and take the defensive driving class or whatever, you don't get any points.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got two tickets!

speeding and unsafe lane change

im from NJ

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also, something to check out...I have been in court many many times...."not my fault, I swear".

Go have YOUR car calibrated...you need to ask around for a state certified speedometer calibration test. Not just any scmoe can do it. At any given time, your speedometer is almost always(like 95% of the time) off. I had my ex's calibrated and what they do is check it at different points. Such as:
Car Speed 55
True Speed 58
Car Speed 65
True Speed 67
Generally, every reading is off by at least 1 mile an hour. Some are more though. It cost me $35 for the calibration...but she went to court, pled "improper equipment" and although you still have to pay court fees, it does not go on your insurance..
Just something else to think about.
Just so you know though, if you go to court and say your guilty...whats the point of going to court. If you go to court (dress up) and plead your case, the worst that will happen is you still get your ticket.....so at least go to court!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts