Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home theater is a The Philips MX980D. Bought back before speakers became micro sized.
Here's the spec on the f/r speakers
Front/rear speakers: 4 with 3-cone system, 5.25-inch drivers, 2-inch ferro-fluid cooled tweeter, 6.5-inch passive radiator.
The problem is, the speakers I had in the rear of the room both have crappy sounding tweeters now. I know because I unplugged the tweeter and they sound alright again, minus the highs. Since the highs are pretty common in movie sounds, I want to get some more tweeters soon.
See picture. The middle "tweeters" are unplugged now. I need something like that to replace the bad ones.
Any good places that have tweeters out there you know of? Online or in SoCal? I tried Frye's electronics, no luck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
you dont need such great "highs" in the back of your theater system because most of the vocals and dialogues are comming from your center channel (if you are using it more your theater). if your usage is more for stereo, when i would suggest getting a new set of speakers for your rear, because most vendors sell separate parts at high points. so if you are looking to stronger "highs" .. um lets see at circuit city check out infinity with the cmmd (ceramic metal matrix design) nice strong and crisp high. or if you want to invest a tad more for better quarlity go to magnolia hifi (new store down south) or at tweeter i would recomend M&K.. sweet speakers used in dolby labs and lucas.

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
LadyLexusIS300 is right a lot of the Auto sound guys don't even put tweeters in the back and only run mid bass and bridged mono bass...

LadyLexusIS300 said:
you dont need such great "highs" in the back of your theater system because most of the vocals and dialogues are comming from your center channel (if you are using it more your theater). if your usage is more for stereo, when i would suggest getting a new set of speakers for your rear, because most vendors sell separate parts at high points. so if you are looking to stronger "highs" .. um lets see at circuit city check out infinity with the cmmd (ceramic metal matrix design) nice strong and crisp high. or if you want to invest a tad more for better quarlity go to magnolia hifi (new store down south) or at tweeter i would recomend M&K.. sweet speakers used in dolby labs and lucas.

·
Registered
201 Posts
CarbonIS300 said:
LadyLexusIS300 is right a lot of the Auto sound guys don't even put tweeters in the back and only run mid bass and bridged mono bass...

LadyLexusIS300 said:
YEPO! in theater the backs are only used for surrounds or effects..
the major contributor are the front speakers and center channel.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
however you do need them in being able do differentiate glass breaking in the rear you would have to have highs.
You might want to try Meridan, Bang and Olphson(sp), Nachamichi, NAD........the list goes on and on. jsut go around on sat with your favorite movie, an action scene, and listen to all of the combinations that you can have

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im getting good answers, but does anybody know a place that sells loose tweeters is what I want to know.
Yeah I played a movie the other day, no raggedy sound from the tweeterless speakers in the back, but also no rear highs, which are in some movies, in everything from glass breaking to helicopter fly-overs.
The bulk of my DVDs are special effects/blockbuster movies like Spiderman, lord of the rings, harry potter, etc.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
texis_300 said:
however you do need them in being able do differentiate glass breaking in the rear you would have to have highs.
You might want to try Meridan, Bang and Olphson(sp), Nachamichi, NAD........the list goes on and on. jsut go around on sat with your favorite movie, an action scene, and listen to all of the combinations that you can have

Dude, you're giving him a solution for his problem by telling him to buy B&O, NAD, and Nak. His whole Philips system only cost $399 for the whole thing and you guys are telling him these high end lines, doesn't make any sense. LadyIS you are totally wrong, in cars it is true they dont have tweeters in the back, because it is a 2 channel system, some very high end sytems, (Mark Eldridge.. and others) dont even rear speakers, BUT in home audio you have 5,6, or 7 discreet FULL RANGE channels that call for full range speakers to be able to give you the full surround realism.

Thedon, if you want to upgrade your system, buy some decent speakers, for you front, and move your front to the back. That way you will have better speakers for music, and not watse any money buy spending alot on rears. How much do you want to spend??

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bmrbeatr said:
texis_300 said:

Dude, you're giving him a solution for his problem by telling him to buy B&O, NAD, and Nak. His whole Philips system only cost $399 for the whole thing and you guys are telling him these high end lines, doesn't make any sense. LadyIS you are totally wrong, in cars it is true they dont have tweeters in the back, because it is a 2 channel system, some very high end sytems, (Mark Eldridge.. and others) dont even rear speakers, BUT in home audio you have 5,6, or 7 discreet FULL RANGE channels that call for full range speakers to be able to give you the full surround realism.

Thedon, if you want to upgrade your system, buy some decent speakers, for you front, and move your front to the back. That way you will have better speakers for music, and not watse any money buy spending alot on rears. How much do you want to spend??
Im such a cheap bastard I didn't know those where high end.
Well, anyway yes it is a 399 system, i got it for 349. And I think somebody came over and F'cked my speakers up because I dont pump them any louder than they can handle. I just noticed one day one sounded like crap. And then I took them apart and its the tweeter. So like I said a few lines back, I just want some replacement tweeters for those stock speakers. Because after all, they were fine for half a year, and its just the tweeters, without them they sound pretty good too. And this is mostly for DVD watching. I think Im just gonna put some big tweeters from some old speakers I got in there.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
thedon said:
bmrbeatr said:
texis_300 said:

Well, anyway yes it is a 399 system, i got it for 349. And I think somebody came over and F'cked my speakers up because I dont pump them any louder than they can handle. I just noticed one day one sounded like crap. And then I took them apart and its the tweeter. So like I said a few lines back, I just want some replacement tweeters for those stock speakers. Because after all, they were fine for half a year, and its just the tweeters, without them they sound pretty good too. And this is mostly for DVD watching. I think Im just gonna put some big tweeters from some old speakers I got in there.
Well, if you just want replacement tweets, just go to Radio Shack and pick up some tweeters. they have a whole variety of different size Optimus speakers. I've used some of there replacement tweets on my Drum room speakers and have had them for 7 years now with no problems, they sound nice and crisp and I pump a lot of wattage through the setup, I can't have the treble all the way up cause it'll make my ears bleed!

They are a good, reliable replacment, only lacking in quality or richness of sound, but you won't notice as much on the higher frequencies that tweeters produce. they don't sound raspy or noisy at all either, you can't find a better bargain.

I'm sure I've seen some that look exatly like yours, just pop one of yours out and go there, they'll fix you up.

figure $20-40 for a pair

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kanine21 said:
thedon said:
bmrbeatr said:
texis_300 said:

Well, if you just want replacement tweets, just go to Radio Shack and pick up some tweeters. they have a whole variety of different size Optimus speakers. I've used some of there replacement tweets on my Drum room speakers and have had them for 7 years now with no problems, they sound nice and crisp and I pump a lot of wattage through the setup, I can't have the treble all the way up cause it'll make my ears bleed!

They are a good, reliable replacment, only lacking in quality or richness of sound, but you won't notice as much on the higher frequencies that tweeters produce. they don't sound raspy or noisy at all either, you can't find a better bargain.

I'm sure I've seen some that look exatly like yours, just pop one of yours out and go there, they'll fix you up.

figure $20-40 for a pair
Now thats an answer I can work with. I never thought of Radio Shack. Good Job, Im heading there today.

·
Registered
201 Posts
bmrbeatr said:
texis_300 said:

sure ideally we are all looking for full range speakers, but realistically how can you mount a +10lb speaker on the ceiling. that why so many people fall into the bose trap --small but harsh. what i am saying is that the basic application of rear channels are for surrounds or effect. sure, if you are using the system for stereo, right on.. you are correct. otherwise unless you are an audiophile, you cannot tell the diffrent between a full range and a non full range. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
DO NOT go out and just buy a tweeter!!

The impedence of the tweeter and the crossover network of the entire speaker all work together. The general idea for surround sound is even uniform sound. In other words: all the speakers should sound similar. If you add a tweeter, you'll change the effieciency, inpedence, and crossover point of that particular speaker. Then it will not sound uniform within the system as a whole.

Also, you DO want nice clear highs in the rear channels. Highs are very directional and give depth, clarity, DIRECTION, and ambience to the rears. The only exception is Pro logic, because they have a crossover filtering out some of the highs. But now most people have Dolby Digital and the rears are full frequency.

Now, instead of saying they sound crappy, how about describing the sound. They could be partially blown, thus so the voice coil heats up and expands, which results in the coil rubbing either the pole piece or the magnet. Both will give you crappy sound. From your post, I gather the front & rear speakers are the same? If so with the rears sounding poor and the fronts are ok, that still sounds like a partially damaged tweeter.

Am I am expert? You decide, I own my own audio / video store for 23 years and have been in the audio business over 30. I think with more detailed info, I can help you.
www.audioconnectionav.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
BillR
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing