Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup People! I been looking into changing my spark plugs and spark plug wires. I did some research, but really couldn't find anything on the wires. I learned that the IS300 has only 3 wires. So has anyone really use any type of aftermarket wires in their car? I'm just looking for something better than OEM. I found some on NGK's website. But I'm wondering if they would be worth the $$$ to buy em? Thanks to anyone who can help....

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
not to sure about the wires, i thought that we used coil packs?
there is some sort of amplifier i think i read a while back, not too sure what that does but i would guess it would help on what your looking for.

·
Registered
250 Posts
NO SIR, we dont use Coilpacks.. we use coilwires!

i have NGK irdium plugs in my car and love it!! but i still have oem wires..

i never tried NGK wires.. if u do use them, let me know how u like it

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking about trying them out. Just wondering if anybody else has put the money down and done it. I was actually thinking about going with the Denso spark plugs. I wonder if mixing the brands would make a difference???

·
Registered
214 Posts
The correct answer is that we use coil packs and coil wires. Three plugs sit directly under the coil pack connected via a boot fitting. Three plugs are connected via wires from the three coil packs. One coil pack supplies spark to two cylinders.

I had a wire go south on me very recently and bought new wires from NAPA 'cause my local Toyo dealer didn't have the one I needed in stock and I didn't want to wait. I don't think you'll see any gains from going aftermarket (I haven't) and it won't make any difference if you mix brands. Aftermarket plugs are expensive. I'd keep the stock wires and spend your money on something else...

-V

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The correct answer is that we use coil packs and coil wires. Three plugs sit directly under the coil pack connected via a boot fitting. Three plugs are connected via wires from the three coil packs. One coil pack supplies spark to two cylinders.

I had a wire go south on me very recently and bought new wires from NAPA 'cause my local Toyo dealer didn't have the one I needed in stock and I didn't want to wait. I don't think you'll see any gains from going aftermarket (I haven't) and it won't make any difference if you mix brands. Aftermarket plugs are expensive. I'd keep the stock wires and spend your money on something else...

-V
Thanks for the info man! +rep
I went over to Toyota and they quoted me $76 for OEM wires. Doesn't really seem right. I'm gonna try to look around and see if there any cheaper ones.
How much did you get yours for??

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hmm...

I got my NAPA ones w/ a lifetime warrenty for $65 I think. You should be able to get individual wires from a dealership. Carson Toyota sells them over the internet. I think they're in CA. If you wanted to go on the cheap I'd just replace wire #1 (cylinder 3) and see if it fixes.

As for aftermarket, I've seen them up to $250 a set. There's just no way to justify that in my opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
L-tunedparts.com have the torque master spark plugs for sale at 12.50 a pop but youll notice a difference.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think you should do it yourself....
it looks kinda difficult at first but its really not hard at all....

i would recommend using oem plugs and wires...

save yourself the $200+bux they charge at the dealer and clean out your maf,tb while your at it!

*remember where each wire went
*if you're going to use cabe toyota ask for herb, he hooks up the ae86 community all the time.. mention club4ag.com to get a discount.
Club4AG Forum Topics: CABE TOYOTA. Genuine TOYOTA/SCION Parts and Accesories - Price Match!

GL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just sayin hi for the first time, and also I'm using NGK wires, and can definitely not notice any difference. I bought NGK's because I know they are just as good as oem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention it is pretty easy to do, just follow the DIY for spark plugs, IMo it's not hard at all.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Here are the Toyota part numbers (same as NA Supra)

Spark Wire #1 90919-15456 For Plug 1, connects to 3rd Coil
Spark Wire #3 90919-15317 For Plug 3, connects to 2nd Coil
Spark Wire #5 90919-15457 For Plug 5, connects to 1st Coil

They're all around $20 each

·
Registered
71 Posts
DENSO Part # 6716181 Wire Set Contains 3 Leads Ignition wire
Ignition Wire Set; Application Also Requires Coil On Plug Boot Set; Original Equipment Replacement Part / Complete Ignition Wire Set - 5mm
Do you also need a Spark Plug Boot Pliers?
$53.79 $53.79
DENSO Part # 6716286
Application Also Requires Ignition Wire Set; Original Equipment Replacement Part / Complete COP Boot Set - 3
Do you also need a Spark Plug Boot Pliers?
$29.79 $29.79
Ignition : Ignition CoilRelated Parts
DENSO Part # 6731203 Coil on Plug
DENSO is the OE supplier for this vehicle
$76.99 $76.99

are these the items i need for a tune up? excluding the spark plugs a private message would be appreciated

1 - 20 of 21 Posts